What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Interest in a Bally SS Lamp Driver Board Tester?

AlanJ

Site Supporter
Alias
Alan
I've been thinking for a while about building a bally lamp driver board tester for the Bally Lamp driver boards ( AS-2518-23, AS-2518-14, Stern LDB100).

Up to now, I've always tested a board in a game, but the problem is that not all games use all the circuits (especially the older games) and also it's a pain opening up a game to test a board.

I've got a pile of old boards, and I want to test then and find out what needs fixing. So, I'm designing a little test rig - A stand alone device. Connect it up to a board and it will test all the 60 circuits in one go, quickly and easily.
Also plan for it to test each circuit one at a time and show you the SCR Number and Driver chip number, so it's easy to figure out which ones to replace. if you have a non working one.

System will be a control board with an arduino, a LCD display, something like this:
IMG_0997.JPG
It will connect onto J4 to provide power and control signals to the lamp driver board. It will have it's own power supply.

Then 3 connectors that go onto J1 J2, & J3 - that have a bank of leds lights - one for each circuit, like this:

1641471064841.png

I'm getting these boards produced, I'll get a few extra done, and so can make up another couple of testers, if anyone wants one.

The led boards themselves will also be useful stand alone, e.g. remove J1 (or 2 or 3) connector off a board that's in-situ in a machine, plug in the above board and then go into lamp test - all the leds should light (apart from the one in the key position), any that don't light will tell you you have a problem with the board - useful for narrowing down an issue between a board problem and a wiring/lamp holder/bulb issue - it saves having to swap the board for a "known working" board.

Got the lamp driver board tester working,

takes about 90 seconds to test all 60 lamp driver circuits. It shows you which Thyristor and which IC( U1 - U4) for each circuit and lights the appropriate led on the relevant Header pin. if the led doesn't light, the thyristor or IC is probably bad.
it also shows unused header pins and steps over those.

3 Simple plug in boards and the ESP32s with a LCD screen to control it. One of the buttons on the ESP32s used to move to the next pin.

Got a bit more programming to do to finish it off, then I can test the big pile of duff lamp driver boards I have !!

IMG_1163.JPG
IMG_1164.JPG

Got some more spare MC14514 IC's and more SCR's - so another batch of lamp driver boards repaired today:
IMG_1596.JPG

IMG_1597.JPG

IMG_1598.JPG

My little tester makes it a doddle to figure out what's wrong. Many of the boards I have had blown MC14514 IC's - a right pain as they are 20-pin soldered on IC's - needless to say - I socket them on replacement.

I have all the Bally factory brown box testers, but I’d love to have one of these too. Is there a price on this? Thanks

Hi James, it’s a prototype at the moment just a bit cobbled together, and needs a driver transistor adding to handle the scrs that power more than one pin. I’ll add that then build a proper one, and let you know.

Still need to get round to coming to visit your place , really interested to see those original bally testers.

Designing a better board for the tester:
E43DCCAF-D08B-41A6-AF6D-04355F4D3E51.jpeg
Now bigger to take the LCD display, added a power jack socket, two push button switches and a dedicated output header to connect to the lamp driver board J4

I’ve also designed 3 dedicated Led indicator boards for J1 J2 and J3, and only added the relevant leds, ignoring the key pin and any unused pins:
3F3CE52F-1916-41F5-9F91-14154023AB51.jpeg704A5F0C-423A-4574-BC2B-A01E7CF6DDAF.jpeg6EE3969E-5996-4C9F-97D2-58BA4DFD399F.jpeg
Next to each Led i’ve marked on the pcb the SCR Q number, so very easy to figure out which scr to replace if a led doesn’t light. (the scr Q number plus other info is displayed on the LCD as well).

Still waiting for parts …….grr.

Today I decided to make up a board using parts I went hunting for. Managed to get one built. Then I spent rest of the day on the software.

On startup , the system shows version number and asks you to press start to commence the first test.

The first test is a “lock on” test. Any scrs or circuits that are permanently locked on, will show up via their relevant Led flashing.

This is a common issue on the lamp driver boards, so test 1 looks for them. Any issues should be resolved before going into the other tests.

Test 2 is an automated run through each of the 60 lamp driver circuits, starting on J1 , pin 28 down to pin 1; then J2, J3.
This is a quick way to spot any non working circuits. The test can be repeated, or move onto:

Test 3 is an individual step through test of each circuit. the fwd and back buttons are used to move to the next or previous circuit. The Lcd display shows the Q number of the scr as well as the chip number and pin output, these are all needed to easily and quickly fix and non working circuits. The Q# is also printed on each led pcb next to the led.

Hoping to build a couple of these later this month for sale. I’ll make a fully built kit complete with all the wiring connectors and a mains psu.

I will also make it so the system can receive software updates OTA - over the air.

C4C7095A-3A0A-457F-91EE-810CDECB876C.jpeg968030BB-EFB5-4830-81A3-C51E369BDCE1.jpegE4CF65B6-6432-49DE-BD53-B40CF878FC23.jpeg5A84B8BD-F9A7-4A09-BA92-E430C0BDCC54.jpeg3EA7639C-1069-448C-BA83-89ADA02142DE.jpegC814059B-E595-4BEA-A373-1F1F1A3EC181.jpeg40E3139B-3A2A-48E5-A89B-3B13F9DE6555.jpeg3A5DE610-E29E-4070-B3C9-F3DF5D6C7D4E.jpeg

At last, today I managed to produce 5 production run testers:

IMG_2109.JPEG

IMG_2110.JPEG

IMG_2111.JPEG

Available to buy.
£100 for the complete system, without mains power supply - as per first pic above. Or:
£105 with a Mains Adaptor as per 2nd pic.

Uk Postage, 2nd Class Signed for £4

Lmk if you want one.

@Moonraker
@BallyWilliams suck

I'm not planning on making too many of these, as a ltd market and they are time consuming to make up.

I got some good feedback from folks on pinside, so I have updated the software, so that the "Auto" test is now an "All lamps" test - i.e. it flashes all the lamps on at once, rather than running through them one at a time. A much better idea.

All lamp test - screen shot of the LCD, and a pic of them all lighting up - they are not all lit at the same time, rather I light them for a few miliseconds in groups of 4 or 5. (Thats why thy are not all lit in the 2nd photo, the camera was too fast to catch them all lit.

IMG_2118.jpeg

IMG_2119.jpeg

I've been thinking for a while about building a bally lamp driver board tester for the Bally Lamp driver boards ( AS-2518-23, AS-2518-14, Stern LDB100).

Up to now, I've always tested a board in a game, but the problem is that not all games use all the circuits (especially the older games) and also it's a pain opening up a game to test a board.

I've got a pile of old boards, and I want to test then and find out what needs fixing. So, I'm designing a little test rig - A stand alone device. Connect it up to a board and it will test all the 60 circuits in one go, quickly and easily.
Also plan for it to test each circuit one at a time and show you the SCR Number and Driver chip number, so it's easy to figure out which ones to replace. if you have a non working one.

System will be a control board with an arduino, a LCD display, something like this:
View attachment 156882
It will connect onto J4 to provide power and control signals to the lamp driver board. It will have it's own power supply.

Then 3 connectors that go onto J1 J2, & J3 - that have a bank of leds lights - one for each circuit, like this:

View attachment 156881

I'm getting these boards produced, I'll get a few extra done, and so can make up another couple of testers, if anyone wants one.

The led boards themselves will also be useful stand alone, e.g. remove J1 (or 2 or 3) connector off a board that's in-situ in a machine, plug in the above board and then go into lamp test - all the leds should light (apart from the one in the key position), any that don't light will tell you you have a problem with the board - useful for narrowing down an issue between a board problem and a wiring/lamp holder/bulb issue - it saves having to swap the board for a "known working" board.
Clever stuff this 👌🏻

Had a couple of enquiries from folks in the USA for these, so considering another run of 10, if I can get a few more commitments?

Doing another run of these, either kit form or fully assembled. LMK if you want one, but be quick as I’ll be posting on Pinside in a couple of days and the last lot went quickly

I have absolutely no need for one of these... however something is drawing me to these Alan.... and i dont know what :)

Whats the damage on a kit form one please??

£64 posted
In that case - Yes please!!

As i said - havent got a clue what i will use it on yet, however I'm a sucker for test equipment (in fact anything that could potentially make my life easier).

Plus - Nothing like cracking the Iron out in the new year :)

Thanks Alan!

After a suggestion from someone in Auz, I have added a new test option to the Lamp Driver Tester. This test runs through all 60 circuits in "Q" number order. Q1, Q2,...Q60.

This is a software change and is compatible with any existing Lamp Driver Tester. Most of you out there are running V2.05 of the software. This option is available in V3.01

It is available here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qjjqV6VaeUMseNlsyCNeY84U8y9d9R19?usp=sharing

You will see a file called V3.01.bin

IMG_8187 (resized).JPEGIMG_8187 (resized).JPEG

Download and save this file to your laptop or Smartphone.

The lamp driver tester has a built in web server that allows you to upload new firmware to the tester:

Power up your lamp driver tester.

From your phone or laptop, under wi-fi connections, you should see a device called "RetroElectroLampTester", connect to it, the password is "password"
IMG_8175 (resized).PNGIMG_8175 (resized).PNG
IMG_8178 (resized).JPEGIMG_8178 (resized).JPEG

Once connected you should be taken automatically to the Tester main web page:

IMG_8179 (resized).JPEGIMG_8179 (resized).JPEG

If you are not taken here, open an browser and enter 192.168.4.1 - that will then show the above screen.

Click on the configure link, and this page is shown:

IMG_8180 (resized).JPEGIMG_8180 (resized).JPEG

Click on the "firmware update" link at the bottom and this page is shown:

IMG_8181 (resized).JPEGIMG_8181 (resized).JPEG

Click "choose file" and then navigate to wherever you saved the V3.01.bin file and select it:

IMG_8188 (resized).JPEGIMG_8188 (resized).JPEG

Click update button and wait for 10-60 seconds as the firmware is uploaded to the tester.

On successful upload, the tester will reboot and you should see the new version number on the initial splash screen:

IMG_8189 (resized).JPEGIMG_8189 (resized).JPEG

The new test comes after the single tests by Connector. (Hint: you can bypass the single connector tests by pressing the "Stop/Back" button on the J1-1 Test.

The new test runs through Q1 to Q60. (Again you can quit by pressing "Stop/Back" on Q1 test).

IMG_8186 (resized).JPEG

Back
Top Bottom