What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Airbrush advice

AlanJ

Site Supporter
Alias
Alan
Hi please can anyone recommend airbrush, airgun equipment suitable for pinball use. I have two very different requirements:
1. To paint the outside cabinet of my EM pin - large areas of single colours
2. To touch up the playfield paintwork on my Paragon - very tiny intricate details

Can I use the same tool or do I need different sized nozzles etc., or even a gun vs brush??

Also looking for general recommendations on compressor, paints, and all the other stuff you'd find handy to get started with airbrushing? IS there a decent 'starter kit' out there.

Thanks,

Alan

For touch ups you need an airbrush.A decent cheap dual action airbrush I'd suggest is the UMP apex. For the cab use a gravity fed spray gun which can be picked up fairly cheap on eBay

Hi please can anyone recommend airbrush, airgun equipment suitable for pinball use. I have two very different requirements:
1. To paint the outside cabinet of my EM pin - large areas of single colours
2. To touch up the playfield paintwork on my Paragon - very tiny intricate details

Can I use the same tool or do I need different sized nozzles etc., or even a gun vs brush??

Also looking for general recommendations on compressor, paints, and all the other stuff you'd find handy to get started with airbrushing? IS there a decent 'starter kit' out there.

Thanks,

Alan

I use an Iwata air bush for detail work and use Createx paints for it [Opaque] neither are cheap, but, do the job nicely. I have a dedicated compressor for the air-brush. For cabinets, try, if you can run to its cost, a 'smart', Devilblis, type repair air gun, gravity fed, as against the normal, larger guns as used in bodyshops.

For detail work, smart guns are great as they don't need vast air supplies so can run happily on an 80 compressor from Lidl! I suggest you invest in an in-line moisture trap which goes onto the base of your gun so any moisture in the compressed air doesn't go into your paint as it will ruin the job. For cabinets, I use single pack paints, like cellulose. It is sort-of banned nowadays due to its VoC content but it is legal to sell and buy providing its used on a classic car that had it when built. Austin Old English white goes well on old EM cabinets. Oh, and do invest in a decent spray mask, gloves, etc.:)

my advise is you can buy rattle tins from car paint shops which will mix the exact colour you want...and fill them...get a stencil or mask accordingly....for cab work

I have a larger pretty new compressor for sale if you want to buy it if your getting a gun....again this would be for cab work

yeah I'm sure you can do that rudedogg....i had a rolling stones with strange pinky purple .it worked out very well but off the shelf colour would do.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with Aerosols, but, they can get expensive and you wont get as good a result as from a spray gun. Any paint factor have colour spectrums where you can get a colour matched perfectly.

But whatever suits your needs of course!

agree with that buckaroo..they were very expensive for what they were..i actually got a pro car sprayer to spray the cab white and then did the spray tins to do the art design with stencils. the original art was pretty rough anyway from new

Back
Top Bottom