What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing a doorway from house to extension for Pinroom!

I thought this initially but we had a few quotes and different builders who seemed to think a lintel was sufficient, (well two lintels). This stuff does worry me though :|
I’d think if you’ve had multiple decent builders come round and actually look at it rather than go off photos you’re fine. For our garage conversion we’re hoping to do we only need a lintel for a doorway being knocked through from the hallway, we’re having building control oversee everything and they are happy with that.

Last edited:
If you’re unsure and it’s really worrying you get building control to come check it or an architect. Cost a bit more but may be worth it for peace of mind

Cavity width. Can vary of course but principal is the same.
Block inner / cavity / brick outer

Literally no idea what this shows, except bricks 😂
I've only learnt how to repair my pins in the last two years :p

What's the bit thats 68(mm?)
Thats a cross section through the wall showing the steel support holding both leaves of inside and outside masonry.

^That's a better description than my half a***d effort 🤣

Two concrete lintels above a doorway is absolutely fine - it doesn't need the steel cavity ones. Here is what the building regs have to say which specifically give options between steel and concrete:

It is damn scary when the builders come in with their acrow props and you think your house might fall down. Been there, done it and been amazed at how little seems to support so much weight above, Your (reputable) builder should know what he is doing - this will be a straightforward job for him that he will have done many times before. No need to worry, just let him get on with it.

Paul

Two concrete lintels above a doorway is absolutely fine -
Personally I wouldn't use concrete - bloody heavy (even relatively short ones), at least 100mm thick (Steel lintel about 4mm on each flange ) and they wouldn't close the cavity

It's concrete with steel or rebar inside I believe?

Also that insulation is weird, any one know what it is? I assume it's old
20220118_161824.jpg

🤣🤣🤣
Like I said personal choice!
They are cheaper!

Looks like cavity wall insulation, the kind of stuff you put into older properties which didn't have insulation as part of the original build

🤣🤣🤣
Like I said personal choice!
They are cheaper!

Looks like cavity wall insulation, the kind of stuff you put into older properties which didn't have insulation as part of the original build
It gets absolutely everywhere! I suppose In future I could update it, if it's worth it?

And the weight really doesn't matter when you are employing a builder to heft them in for you. :) My builder got me to lend a hand with a few that I had done.

My comments re concrete being fine (per building regs) was to give David some comfort that what was being done was acceptable for building regulations as other posts suggested it might not be (but didn't know for sure). It's bad enough worrying about work being done on your house without a bunch of armchair quarterbacks (including myself in that) commenting on how they might have done it differently whilst the work is in progress.

Appreciate the comforting words :)

Regarding insulation I just wondered if there was a more efficient type.

Saying that, the extension is a lot colder than the house and I believe that's due to it not being insulated, it was built as a garage then converted to a room. I get the feeling most of the cold comes from the front where if you knock on it (above the window for example, it sounds hollow). Not sure how much impact that has. But when the room is done 'properly' hopefully later in the year I want to get the front door bricked up and the window moved to the centre (or a wider window, not sure). Hopefully that will eliminate the front being the source of cold.

My builder got me to lend a hand with a few that I had done
That's what I meant really, a bugger to do on your own, really a 2 man job (as you said, lending your builder some muscle).

I'm assuming that used to be an external wall hence the insulation. No point insulating it now it's an internal wall

Any idea of how old the garage extension is?
Could be solid masonry wall with no cavity

Any idea of how old the garage extension is?
Could be solid masonry wall with no cavity

No real idea. The houses on this road are similar design and they weren't built with garages. I think It was two owners ago. The utility room was built as part of the same extension that the garage is, but the garage was later converted to a room.
The previous owner was here over 20 years, I know him from work so I might ask if he knows, i'm sure he claimed he didn't remember last time :|

The wall between the 'garage' and the utility room seems to be solid masonry

20220118_180308.jpg

The outside left wall of the 'garage' seems to be plaster ontop of some blue looking plastic? I can't see easily

20220118_180204.jpg

This is only going by exposed chases due to the rewire though.

I just measured the outside wall to the door frame in the utility room and compared to the 'garage'.
170cm vs 185cm(ish).
So there's more room in the garage which must mean it's just the bricks behind the plaster and the utility room has insulation hence being narrower.

20220118_181026.jpg
Any idea what the part sticking out is? I believe that to the opposite wall is how wide the utility is so a good indication of what I'd lose if I had the wall insulated?

Last edited:
I just measured the outside wall to the door frame in the utility room and compared to the 'garage'.
170cm vs 185cm(ish).
So there's more room in the garage which must mean it's just the bricks behind the plaster and the utility room has insulation hence being narrower.

View attachment 157956
Any idea what the part sticking out is? I believe that to the opposite wall is how wide the utility is so a good indication of what I'd lose if I had the wall insulated?
It looks like your garage is single skin brick and that is a support pillar. Standard uk bricks are 4 inches wide. If you can measure the width of the external wall of the garage and it is 4 inches you have a single solid wall. If it is 8 inches it is a solid double thickness and if 9 inches or more it is a cavity wall. Easiest place to measure would be from window reveal edge to external wall on inside then do same outside from window reveal to corner of garage and take one from other. If it is just 4 or 5 inches you have a single skin wall. No insulation. As built as garage there will be no underfloor andmaybe little or no insulation in the roof space either. Hence cold.

It looks like your garage is single skin brick and that is a support pillar. Standard uk bricks are 4 inches wide. If you can measure the width of the external wall of the garage and it is 4 inches you have a single solid wall. If it is 8 inches it is a solid double thickness and if 9 inches or more it is a cavity wall. Easiest place to measure would be from window reveal edge to external wall on inside then do same outside from window reveal to corner of garage and take one from other. If it is just 4 or 5 inches you have a single skin wall. No insulation. As built as garage there will be no underfloor andmaybe little or no insulation in the roof space either. Hence cold.

The previous owner redid the roof before they sold it and that is insulated. Just nowhere else .
Also oddly he claims the garage was knocked down, not while he was here but before (apparently neighbour was present). But that makes no sense at all as it still has multiple indicators it was a garage!

Had corner of my house on props was a little scary! Lol

Attachments

• F77FD76E-748D-4EA3-8E1C-65BF0779FF7C.jpeg
    F77FD76E-748D-4EA3-8E1C-65BF0779FF7C.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom