What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress A Tale of Madness (utter, utter MADNESS), Now including Pt. 2

mufcmufc

Staff member
Alias
Nik
So here is my tale; The game I loved in the arcades was Addams Family, but when I started collecting and got an MM, that was the game I really fell in love with. The alleged remake in 2006 spurred me to sell mine in anticipation of a new shiny one that obviously didn't happen and then I went through a couple more MMs until a lovely one came up in early 2007, which I thought I'd keep forever but at the time I had limited space and so in order to try other games, it sadly had to go (to @bartron I think). More have come and gone since but space has always been the enemy, but, it is one of my favourite games so in order to make me keep one, I had the bright idea of building my own Medieval Madness, I'd done plenty of playfield swaps and restorations, so I figured it would be a challenge but not impossible.

Sometime in 2011, I bought an NBA Fastbreak and then in 2012 I took the plunge and went about buying some game specific MM parts (just a few it turned out as they were hard to source). I figured that I'd done a number of playfield swaps and every game has coils, switches and lamps in roughly the same place so how hard can it be right? In 2013 I bought some more MM parts but still a lot were hard to get and a lot were No Longer Available, I then had some habitrails made in America and Ed In Texas (who is part of the TPF team) was having some ball guides made and included me on the list - almost home I thought! It turns out dear reader I was wrong, very wrong.

Over the years, I bought more parts and some more parts were made by contacts of @andrew.m (this was in a time before remakes). I bought an MM to use as a template, then got bored of it taking up the space so it went, then in 2015 I bought a really poor MM for too much money, which I oddly held on to. In 2016, I bought a job lot of MM parts that had a lot of stuff in I was missing, still it didn't kickstart me in to action even though I promised it would. I considered selling the parts and the poor MM to get back space and cash but something kept nagging at me that I would eventually do it and then came lockdown, that's where the story gets underway.

I decided it made sense to do the restore on the tatty MM whilst doing the build on the "new" MM here's what I started with, from a distance it looks ok

CIBN9255.JPG

Underside looks OK

IMG_9074.JPG

Top side not so good, parts were filthy, star posts shot and inserts not good, who cares though, we have new playfields :)

IMG_9079.JPG

IMG_9090.JPG

IMG_9097.JPG

So, on with the show. It's been a long time since I did my last fully restoration (just checked and yikes it was an MB in 2012) First thing to do (the above stripped pics are probably a little out of sequence) was to get out the new playfields and check the parts

IMG_9072.JPG

I had this cabinet decalled by @replicas some time in the distant past and it's been upended and filled with parts since, I fit the Stern leg protectors and cut the decals around them and then get it up on legs

IMG_9103.JPG

On with T-Nutting the playfields

IMG_9100.JPGIMG_9099.JPG

At some point after starting the T-nuts, I began to strip the old playfield, I did this on and off until just the wiring loom was left. The cabinet and internals weren't required straight away and I didn't fancy tackling the filth anyway. I find I spend a LOT of time cleaning when I do restorations/playfield swaps.

IMG_9104.JPG

Lamp boards were one of the things that were hard to get hold of originally, I bought some unpopulated boards and did the soldering myself, although NBA does have a few lamp boards the same so I used those. For those who don't know, there is a handy website for checking common parts on games https://www.moll.no/pinball/parts/

IMG_9106.JPG

New boards have the black plastic surrounding the pinsIMG_9107.JPG

IMG_9108.JPG

I decided to go with original GE lamps for the controlled lamps as I prefer the warmth, original boards installed on the first playfield

IMG_9109.JPG

Parts were in some sort of order, but it was a little untidy at this point

RQLP0250.JPG
I'm pretty sure my next task was to make the flipper assemblies, here they are, nice and shiny

IMG_9121.JPGIMG_9122.JPG

Fitted to playfield, along with pop bumper underside assemblies and a picture of the two built up collapsing castle assemblies

UTLP7097.JPG

Before the troll assemblies can go in, mylar needs to be put down around the holes. I thought I was short of the mylar pieces, but going through the stock, I find I have 5 and I need 4 so on they go. I've put these on an MM in the past and I remember that they don't fit properly and need to be trimmed, both around the troll hole and next to each other. First up I trim the corners that would overlap in the middle (in the patron of the peasants insert) BEFORE laying them down. I also remember that a post goes through one of the pieces of mylar and if you mess up tightening that post, it turns the mylar and screws it up around the post - at which point it looks crap, this needs to be trimmed in situ - no pressure then!

XBWP4807.JPG

The best feature of MM is obviously the entire castle (split up into the collapsing castle and the drawbridge/gate assembly), next up was the build of the collapsing castle(s). I mentioned parts were hard to source, here's an ingenious operator repair for the plate that holds one of the turrets (the plates interlock and 2 are on springs so that 4 of the 5 can collapse and then reset)

IMG_9118.JPG

The part on the left is how it should look:

IMG_9120.JPG

I'm sure I took a pic of the two castles side by side but sadly it's vanished (edit better picture 3 pics up), best I can do is below, note the difference in colours

STVR5053.JPG

The other person mad enough to take this on is @andrew.m, he had some of the parts made, the metal hex posts the one wooden playfield rail and the backboard. Left is the new rail made of oak

IMG_9185.JPG

Drilled to match
IMG_9186.JPG

Backboard with new decal (new is the lower) note how the decal doesn't line up and it IS correct, it's why the factory ones crinkle up and bubble

IMG_9189.JPG

Once the underside is mainly done, I do the top side in the cabinet, once the wooden rails are on, I can get the hinge rails on the underside

IMG_9187.JPG

It's at this point, I realise I'm a few parts short for MM number two, one of them is 1x mini coil assembly that does the two way gate (there was only one on NBA fastbreak). I call @CHRIS B PINBALLS as I sold him a mainly populated NBA playfield years ago, I know it's a long shot but luckily he has one and very kindly sends it out to me. I don't recall all the other parts required apart from 2 x large gears for the second drawbridge assembly, there were quite a few game specific parts I was short on (and numerous I had at least 3 of!) so off to pinball spare parts Australia to order them as it was the only place that had them all. Unfortunately that package has still yet to arrive even though it was despatched on the 12th April, so I made the decision to get the 1st MM completed

It seems I've either lost or not taken some of the pictures I thought I had, the playfield loom comes off the old playfield and gets washed, I'm not happy with it so it has a second going over, pic of part of the dirty loom

IMG_9159.JPG

Followed by the glistening and mainly wired up loom, note the MS surface on the SoR, handy for watching those TV shows you've been meaning to watch whilst getting restorations done ;)

FIRZ4395.JPG

It's taken a good while to get typed up to this point, so I'll continue this soon

So the playfield is now resembling a pinball playfield on the underside, my next step is always to get it into the cabinet (I don't like rotisseries) to build up the top side. As this was a completely empty cabinet, I needed to build it up. Found a pic of when I'd dragged everything out:

XZSI6257.JPG

Cab on legs and emptied

XXTX7537.JPG

Label in the coin door bolt hole is from the @replicas re-decal factory

SZZQ4795.JPG

It takes quite a while to add the buttons and P clips and clean the wiring. The lockbar receiver is the only replated one I have and it's the wrong one, but it will do the job until stuff goes off to the platers, powerbox is NoS

IDXV6721.JPG

Transformer gets cleaned up and goes in

WZYA8547.JPG

I then put on a NOS coin door courtesy of @pinsinthewild

STVR5054.JPG

Now lets get that playfield in the cabinet

IMG_9195.JPG

Still no head on at this point so I can't boot it up, I'll get all the GI in first (LEDs) and then clean the boards and metal panel before I do that. As the pace of the build stepped up, I forgot to take as many pictures. Ball guides went on

IMG_9201.JPG

Rather kindly, Mirco decided it would create an extra layer of fun if he didn't cut the notch out for the ball guide on the left hand side of the playfield (I don't have a good pic but will do one on the 2nd playfield)

IMG_9201.JPG

I hadn't really done much crimping before but after I found out the correct part numbers for the connectors and crimps, I ordered 0.093" and 0.062" male and female pins and 2, 3 & 4 pin connector housings from RS as well as the 3 (who knew) sizes of spade connector that go on WPC 95 games.

Check out how "like new" the old part looks

IMG_9196.JPG

Hmm maybe not, so lets grab those clear plastics

IMG_9197.JPG

And lets turn the relevant pieces into a plastic assembly

IMG_9198.JPG

Side by side, I know it's hard to tell which is the old one (it's the top one :D)

IMG_9199.JPG

Might as well fit them and the collapsing castle while we're at it (this should actually be one of the last things to go on, but I'm just getting it out of the way)

IMG_9200.JPG

Some plastics placed to test fit, although these were NoS rather than reproduction, I've found over the years that a lot of stuff doesn't fit how it should and adjustments have to be made. We're starting to resemble a pinball machine:

IMG_9204.JPG

I'd been putting off the plastic ramps as I knew they would take a while, all I'm doing is replicating the looms and then regraining the metal but still I know it's not a quick job. Also I can only do one set as only one set of ramps is complete, the other is missing the flash lamp holder (because it's NoS). You can get an idea of the condition of the machine from these ramps, the switch diode is mashed, gonna need chocolate to get me through this

Peasant ramp entry:

IMG_9130.JPG

Dragon ramp, this is the housing that the Dragon sits on:

IMG_9219.JPG

New vs Old

IMG_9220.JPG

Shall we boot up? Why not:

TKWR7399.JPG

It doesn't look like it, but the above picture is the game almost complete, once the ramps are assembled it doesn't take that long to build up the rest of the game with new / ready assembled parts. I had already done a lot of cleaning and assembling at this point including the gate/drawbridge assembly which had been sat around for a while

The last major piece to go on is the gate/drawbridge assembly, it's quite a complex beast, the arms turns to alert the switches whether the drawbridge is up or down

IMG_9137.JPG

This pin is connected to a gear and on the other side (not pictured in this old assmebly) another arm, which is connected to the drawbridge via a Meccano like 3" piece of metal onto another arm that is attached to the side of the drawbridge. The other gears connect back to the motor so they can be driven by it

IMG_9138.JPG

Optos let the game know the ball is going through the gate and it's time to blow the castle! Note the burn to the opto housing, these gate housings often broke on site and this one has been welded whils still complete

IMG_9139.JPG

IMG_9140.JPG

This looks promising, nice new drawbridge (plus the arms I talked about on the right of the picture)

IMG_9207.JPG

I cleaned up this wiring loom as this was done before I'd got the parts in to make my own switch wiring

IMG_9205.JPG

The metal pins that the gears are on were a part that wasn't available, these were made by @andrew.m

IMG_9208.JPG

Lets get that in the game and tested

AWOU1242.JPG

No more pics allowed, so I'll continue later although to be fair I don't have that many more pictures of the first MM

Oh crap, I remember talking to you about your plans for this and your quest for parts at a South Coast Slam...! :eek:

Fantastic that you've finally set to and great write up so far! Eager to see the remainder write ups and how the end MM's look (written after the 1 post with the next few posts reserved).

This reminds me of having to source a chunk of the missing/broken parts for creech, but at least I had all the habit rails and insert boards. Can't even imagine how hard those would have been to find (I think the mirror assembly was my hardest but then one popped up on ebay.. score).

What a bonkers project. The best kind of project! Looking forward to seeing these great games finished. Thanks for the great read.

I was just thinking the other day how a lot of newer pinheads probably wouldn’t know about the whole Aussie MM / Croc Hunter **** up. Also how people then tried to build their own. Wasnt Congo another potential donor machine?
Good luck with the build.

I was just thinking the other day how a lot of newer pinheads probably wouldn’t know about the whole Aussie MM / Croc Hunter **** up. Also how people then tried to build their own. Wasnt Congo another potential donor machine?
Good luck with the build.

Please tell us more? i don’t know this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great thread Nick!

I was getting close to doing a build like this when I first got back into pinball, some dood had a job lot of parts here on the forum for MM and after I played it at Chief and at Greg’s I was close to seriously overpaying for it to make sure I got it but then I heard about the remake and got lucky on buying a nearly new one with 100 plays on it I haven’t looked back.

If you need more NBA parts I flogged a parts donor to @mission65 also obvs a lot of the mechanical parts from remake fit also and PPS have most of them.

Oh I think I’ve got a light tub you can have if you need it let me check the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great thread Nick!

I was getting close to doing a build like this when I first got back into pinball, some dood had a job lot of parts here on the forum for MM and after I played it at Chief and at Greg’s I was close to seriously overpaying for it to make sure I got it but then I heard about the remake and got lucky on buying a nearly new one with 100 plays on it I haven’t looked back.

If you need more NBA parts I flogged a parts donor to @mission65 also obvs a lot of the mechanical parts from remake fit also and PPS have most of them.

Oh I think I’ve got a light tub you can have if you need it let me check the garage.

Good job you didn’t get those parts, I know a guy who did;). Thanks for the offer, the only parts I’m short of is likely colour correct wire which (if required) seems to only be available in the US and the two archer clear plastics by the slings (I have used ones) but I can get those from Sweden

Wayne eventually gave up and sold the rights to Planetary Pinball who then produced the eventual re-makes with Chicago Coin and later Stern.

So It was Planetary Pinball Supply / Chicago Gaming Company - PPS just the license holder and CGC redesigned the electronics and software of the game with Stern doing contract manufacturing. Stern’s slow pace (owing to factory move and the increased popularity of pinball would eventually force CGC to create their own line for Attack From Mars Remake and MMR beyond the original 1000 and now Monster Bash.

Without Wayno’s attempt to rebuild MM I wonder if MMr would ever have happened? Despite being unsuccessful did he save/remake the moulds and necessary tools? Certainly proved there was demand for the remake. did everyone also get refunded?

Without Wayno’s attempt to rebuild MM I wonder if MMr would ever have happened? Despite being unsuccessful did he save/remake the moulds and necessary tools? Certainly proved there was demand for the remake. did everyone also get refunded?

I suspect not - not because of the parts etc but because having read back the pinside threads his work confirmed the demand.

Pretty sure a lot of the core stuff to remake it went to PPS and he is now using that stuff to make parts both for MM and other games. On the PPS website there is often a blog or other update about some new WMS treasure they have found!

Do we know why Waynes rebuild attempts ended in failure? Lack of knowledge/experience? Did he ever get as far as a prototype? Did it all fall into the SkitB camp of “building pinballs is hard”?

Good luck with this Nick - Great thread.

by the looks of it; I think another case of just not being organised enough, and letting things flail.

Very nice, and ambitious! I look forward to seeing more! Do you have any words for anyone considering a donor build? I have a couple of machines I want, I have the cabinets & some of the parts....

Certainly proved there was demand for the remake. did everyone also get refunded?
I think most of us went through @philpalmer and only paid a £250 deposit. Phil dropped his order and got us all the deposit refund. I think a lot of other people were not so lucky.
I did hear a rumour that a few people kept there order and PPS carried this over to honour. However not sure how this could happen if other people lost money. Mine was supposed to be a 40th birthday present. 53 now and still never had a MM, but other machines have been and gone since.

One hell of a project Nick. Never had the balls to do a full refurb, got all the bits for MB and some for AFM but sold them onto people to complete the job.

Very nice, and ambitious! I look forward to seeing more! Do you have any words for anyone considering a donor build? I have a couple of machines I want, I have the cabinets & some of the parts....

Don't do it unless you have a lot of patience, I think you need to have done your fair share of playfield strip downs (top and bottom) as a minimum, having a large parts stock of general parts is handy (sale of my ludicrous amount of excess parts to follow in a few weeks/months/years) and finally, only do it as a labour of love

I think most of us went through @philpalmer and only paid a £250 deposit. Phil dropped his order and got us all the deposit refund. I think a lot of other people were not so lucky.
I did hear a rumour that a few people kept there order and PPS carried this over to honour. However not sure how this could happen if other people lost money. Mine was supposed to be a 40th birthday present. 53 now and still never had a MM, but other machines have been and gone since.

One hell of a project Nick. Never had the balls to do a full refurb, got all the bits for MB and some for AFM but sold them onto people to complete the job.

Indeed, it was your MB that was my last full restore o_O

wow must be 8 years ago I made you some parts. Nothing like rushing a project.
Took me 12 years and two house moves (nearly three) to complete my TAF complete refurb. Playfield was cleared by Chris Hutchens, and i asked him to sign it under the apron.. 2006. Saying that, once i tore it down it did sit there for most of those 12 years!!
(the original PF did have over 120k plays on it and was completely shot though!!)

Took me 12 years and two house moves (nearly three) to complete my TAF complete refurb. Playfield was cleared by Chris Hutchens, and i asked him to sign it under the apron.. 2006. Saying that, once i tore it down it did sit there for most of those 12 years!!
(the original PF did have over 120k plays on it and was completely shot though!!)
120,000? Whoa! If 1 ball was used throughout that must be the moon and back! :p

Last edited:
Good job you didn’t get those parts, I know a guy who did;). Thanks for the offer, the only parts I’m short of is likely colour correct wire which (if required) seems to only be available in the US and the two archer clear plastics by the slings (I have used ones) but I can get those from Sweden

If you need help sourcing wire i have a contact here in the uk that makes looms (normally for motorbikes/cars etc), and owns the company that made my rfm looms, so i can pass you his details if it may help. He is a great guy.

Jim

That bring some on to the next question which was about the loom. I might have missed the info on this (long post) but did you re-use the nba fastbreak loom and extend/cut as required, or are you building the loom from scratch from the 4 smaller looms its made from?

Back
Top Bottom