What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few noob questions

Welshsmiler

Registered
I have wanted a pinball for as long as I can remember and life has finally got to the point that I can afford one and have the space and I would like to ask the knowledgeable people here a few questions.

1. Are there any websites/pinball dealers apart from this one you guys would go to for purchase of a pinball.

2. Is shark finning recommended when you are going up stairs. How easy is it to completely remove and replace the backboard.

3. Is there any machines that should be avoided as a first machine. Or any that should be avoided completely.

4. The place my machine is planned to go has a radiator right behind it. I am ready to have that radiator moved if you guys think it would be advisable.

Cheers for any help guys.

1. No
2. I wouldn't. I would take it completely off.
Label/scribble/write on all connectors, both sides before disconnecting everything. Be prepared for it not to work quite properly on reconnection. Pay attention to unusual connectors (like a connector slightly longer than the part on the board). Take photos.
3. Each to their own. Everyone has different taste. Depends what you are looking for. I wouldn't buy maverick, lw3, and other games that I think are poor. Others would.
4. I would run it for a bit with the radiator on to see if it gets warm in the back box. If not I wouldn't bother. Others might have better advice about this.

FWIW -

1. www.pinball.co.uk - @philpalmer , new in box games in stock. Plug of my website www.pinballbazaar.co.uk - but we only have two manufacturers on board and none in the UK yet. If you want a NIB this month, speak to Phil.
2. Much easier on a modern game, but still relatively honerous if your first time. I would reccomend going to someone like @Pick Holder to do this for you if you are concerned, it will cost, but will get it done.
3. All games will require maintenance, NIB gets you a warranty, which is great for a first time buyer. Beyone that, it is all personal.
4. Pffft. No idea. As above.

1 - Probably wouldn't go anywhere else but here to buy a pin, unless it was NIB but then you can still get one from here. AVOID FLEABAY etc.
2 - Can't help with this one (too dumb at present)
3 - Probably the toughest one to answer. Unless you get the chance to play plenty of pins you may well struggle to find your ideal machine, it's pretty subjective. Watch plenty of reviews and gameplay of machines you may consider and then go from there. I've purchased a machine from a member on here after doing research without playing it. Some may say that's a bit dumb but I will enjoy it :)
4 - Turn the rad off. You'll get plenty warm enough with multiball frenzies!

Cheers

1. For brand new games then Phil @ Pinball Heaven as others have said https://www.pinball.co.uk/ For anything else get it from here :thumbs:

2. No, take the head off. You're more likely to damage the game and more importantly yourself if you try moving it with a loose head. Also, get someone to help you move it up or down stairs. I came very close to being crushed by my old Paragon when I thought I could shift it down the stairs of my old house on my own. Don't risk it.

3. Not really, it more depends on what type of game you're after. First question is do you want electronic (late 70's to present) or electro mechanical (late 70's back to the 1930's, but in reality the late 40's/early 50's). Then you want to think about the era of game you like, 80's, 90's etc. Do you have some specific idea's on the type of thing you're looking for, maybe some example games?

4. It'll be fine. I had games up against rads at my old house and it never caused any issues for me and that was multiple games over months and years.

Ditto to all the above but also as you are taking it upstairs be aware however heavy you think a pin is it’s WAY heavier.
90s Data East’s are too bad to move, nor are more modern sterns. Anything from Williams or JJP will weigh a lot. Friends will only ever help you move one. 😉

Also don’t set your heart on any specific title. By and large they are all fun to play but even the best game will get old after a while, so swapping is the way forward.

Finally take a photo of the space next to your first game. After 6 weeks or so that space will permanent be occupied by number 2.

1. On here, or pinball heaven for new
2. The older bally Solid State machines are a lot lighter in weight than similar era williams machines, Also the head comes off completely & easily , 2 or 4 bolts. then just unplug the wiring connectors from the cabinet to the backbox boards - easy to label up for reassembly.
3. The world is your oyster!
4. Not ideal, but the machines tend to lean forward a bit on their legs, so probably ok as long as it isnt banging out tons of heat.

Cheers guys. I am pretty sure I would like a Williams Hurricane or possibly Banzai Run. I see that Banzai Run with the backboard the way it is probably not being ideal as a first table.

Saying that I have enjoyed almost every pin I have played so I am fairly easy going. I will say I am not impressed with much that I have seen pre mid 80s. I like ramps and loops you can hit over and over. Multiball will be a must!

@johnwhitfield G.A.S (gear acquisition syndrome) is already a worry to me. My planned game room started off just being a mame cabinet, a pinball table my and a bar billiards table. As things come in under my predicted prices more gets added. I am now up to 2 bandits that are already in my home (Simpsons one may go up for sale). A small 2p pusher machine I have my eye on. A dart board. A pinball table. A bar billiards table. Mame cab. A pub quality table football table and if I can move the seating area up a bit maybe even a air hockey. The joys of living on my own!

I owned a Banzai Run for a while and I wouldn't advise it as your first pin (it's basically two pins in one), they also don't come up for sale that much (although I think Neil has one for sale at the moment). Don't even think about trying to get that up or down stairs, it's crazy heavy and taking the head off is an involved task for even the most hardcore pinhead!

I owned a Banzai Run for a while and I wouldn't advise it as your first pin (it's basically two pins in one), they also don't come up for sale that much (although I think Neil has one for sale at the moment). Don't even think about trying to get that up or down stairs, it's crazy heavy and taking the head off is an involved task for even the most hardcore pinhead!
As I would have thought with Banzai Run. I will back away from thinking about owning that one.

Is pinhead really the name you use? During the 90s we used that for smackheads in the area. Its gonna be hard for me to stop thinking that. 😆

Cheers guys. I am pretty sure I would like a Williams Hurricane or possibly Banzai Run. I see that Banzai Run with the backboard the way it is probably not being ideal as a first table.

Saying that I have enjoyed almost every pin I have played so I am fairly easy going. I will say I am not impressed with much that I have seen pre mid 80s. I like ramps and loops you can hit over and over. Multiball will be a must!

@johnwhitfield G.A.S (gear acquisition syndrome) is already a worry to me. My planned game room started off just being a mame cabinet, a pinball table my and a bar billiards table. As things come in under my predicted prices more gets added. I am now up to 2 bandits that are already in my home (Simpsons one may go up for sale). A small 2p pusher machine I have my eye on. A dart board. A pinball table. A bar billiards table. Mame cab. A pub quality table football table and if I can move the seating area up a bit maybe even a air hockey. The joys of living on my own!
I have a Hurricane here in Bristol - and could do with the space for other projects. Good player.

Sent from my FP3 using Tapatalk

Please do not shark fin any pinball up the stairs and particularly not a Banzai. These things weigh a ton and it's hard enough to balance a backbox on level ground never mind going up stairs.

Good luck with the new toy though mate . . . . exciting times.

Wouldn’t think you would need to shark fin or remove the head to get it up stairs..

unless it’s just for the weight, the back box is much narrower than build regs have for stairs, should also fit thru standard doors only if it’s a smaller door or bad angle etc where you might run into difficulties.

i‘ve moved a data east up and down the stairs on my own before, just take it slow, easy enough if stairs are carpeted, tombstone pin, remove legs and strap head down. Go in front and tilt pin towards stairs slightly and then wove up one stair at time, rest every few steps as it does drain you pretty quickly. Also remember once you start you have to keep going, although you can stop and rest for a few minutes you can’t really leave the pin there..

obviously better if you have a spotter below the pin on the stairs to steady it between step lifts

I think you need to understand that the average pinball machine weighs around 120kg. Getting them up stairs is a massive endeavour. It certainly took the shine off the hobby for me. Downstairs is no problem, especially if you like rollercoasters. I moved one of my machines up two steps yesterday and it nearly killed me. Honestly I was having palpitations for hours...and I'm relatively young and fit. Shark finning is really for narrow doorways only. Just disconnect it after taking lots of photos and labelling everything. Pins to avoid as a first timer depend on your electrical competency. I would suggest avoiding Zaccarria's as even the obvious service parts are hard if not impossible to source. Radiator, yeah wouldn't worry about that too much. Get a good dehumidifier in the vicinity though.

If moving a modern machine up/down stairs I would definitely take the playfield out - easy as there are only a few cables to unplug. That way it'll be much lighter.

Wouldn’t think you would need to shark fin or remove the head to get it up stairs..

unless it’s just for the weight, the back box is much narrower than build regs have for stairs, should also fit thru standard doors only if it’s a smaller door or bad angle etc where you might run into difficulties.
It is bad angles. Terrible to be honest. I am thinking there was a door at the bottom of my stairs when I first moved in. Maybe I will open it back up and keep it locked. It will be useful for getting all kinds of things up my stairs. There is also a half way landing between floors. We have had to pass a settee up on to my garage roof and through the window before now. Luckily I am renovating at the moment so solving that issue will cost me not much more on top.

I have a Hurricane here in Bristol - and could do with the space for other projects. Good player.

Sent from my FP3 using Tapatalk
I will keep you in mind if thats ok. I got renovation going on at the moment. Covid allowing I should be ready very soon. How much would you be asking?

upstairs is a no no. move the kitchen and living room upstairs. bedroom downstairs full of pinball machines😂😂😂😂😂😂. you can get a single mattress under a line of pins.

upstairs is a no no. move the kitchen and living room upstairs. bedroom downstairs full of pinball machines😂😂😂😂😂😂. you can get a single mattress under a line of pins.
This house is a nightmare. 3 levels. My living/ games room is kinda p shaped. Like an L but drunk. Until I save up and get the garage knocked through I am stuck as it is.

Realised I posted a joke in this thread without giving any serious advice, I'll correct that!

They are awful to take upstairs. They are heavy things, and some are VERY heavy. While it's almost easy for one person to move, arrange, store entire banks of pinball machines on their own if they have a sack trolley on a flat ground, they become just as horrible as any other arcade machine to lug up stairs.

As I do a lot of this stuff on my own nowadays, if I had to get a pinball machine upstairs, I would seriously consider not only taking the backbox off, but also removing the playfield as well, in the name of weight reduction and making the main box a bit more manageable to haul up stairs and rotate in all three dimensions to navigate around awkward angles. But removing a playfield is a nasty job and is well beyond what I would recommend to a newcomer - many pinheads would shy away from that too. Backbox removal isn't pleasant but can be made easy with taking a photo, and labelling or writing numbers matching each connector to each plug (there's enough surface area to write on both parts.)

Unless it's a short run of stairs and there's plenty of room at the top of the stairs to lay the machine back down, I would recommend that you consider it a three man job to get it up stairs - one leading, and two pushing it up. The extra two people are spare wheels once it's flat on ground upstairs or downstairs, but three people (or two strong people) is what I'd call a minimum for a set of stairs where you haven't been able to get a settee through them. Backbox removal will be mandatory for a bit of weight reduction but also for giving you the wiggle room.

Radiator doesn't matter.

Game pick is a personal choice, while there are more definite answers in terms of what's more popular, what resells for better money, what games are a maintenance nightmare etc, I would always just say get the game you want that you can afford. Hurricane is not a popular game and I don't rate it much either, but if you're not at the point where you're worried about resale potential then you can ignore people telling you to avoid it.

Thanks everyone this has been extremely helpful.

I got another question that has come to mind. What spares should you keep around when you own a pinball?

Game pick is a personal choice, while there are more definite answers in terms of what's more popular, what resells for better money, what games are a maintenance nightmare etc, I would always just say get the game you want that you can afford. Hurricane is not a popular game and I don't rate it much either, but if you're not at the point where you're worried about resale potential then you can ignore people telling you to avoid it.
I should have phrased my question better it was intended to mean what games are a maintenance nightmare?

I have to move pins up and down my stairs often. Back box obviously has to be removed. It's a bit of a slog buy very do-able with two of you. With three it's a doddle.

Thanks everyone this has been extremely helpful.

I got another question that has come to mind. What spares should you keep around when you own a pinball?
There are so many moving parts it is impossible to keep everything you could need.

UK parts availability is pretty good and delivery is fast. Pinball Heaven, Pinball Mania, 1 stop pinball .....

With experience, you will get a flavour for what tends to fail. When you refurb a game and replace worn bits, your stock of emergency spares will start to grow.

You need soldering iron. Multi meter. Imperial nut spinner set. Bag of rubbers. Bulbs. Flashers. Leaf spring adjuster. Fine emery paper (400 grit plus). Isopropyl alcohol. Foam cleaner. Pledge spray. Microfiber cloths. Head torch. Decent set of screwdrivers. Fuses (many are slow blow ones)

Fine emery paper (400 grit plus).
That's a VERY good list of handy essentials to have for pinball work - but I personally would suggest replacing this one single item for one of these instead: a fibreglass pen.

Absolutely ridiculously effective for demolishing corrosion on pins. You very quickly learn what actually shiny and clean copper looks like when you use one o' these!

Back
Top Bottom