What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 or 5 Ball and why

replicas

Site Supporter
Alias
Nipper Pinball
As the title says, Whats your machine set to 3,5, or something else ?

Does a 3 ball game make you a better player ? or does a 5 ball game give you the chance to get the features you can't get on a three ball game ?

Both of mine are set to 3 ball. The way I see it, if I can get good scores with 3 balls then I'm making myself a better player. I do think that the older machines should be 5 ball, although thats probably because I'm not very good at them
smile-1.png

My (singular) table is set on 3 balls, factory defaults. As I'm getting more familiar with it I'm actually toying with the idea of taking out extra balls, and bumping up the difficulty. Batman Forever has an extra ball buy-in, which is sorely tempting when you're so close to that wizard mode, but with patience I finally made it to the wizard mode on factory default 3 balls last weekend. I think I didn't want to spoil myself and rush through the game

Or as Swiss Toni once said, owning a pinball table is like making love to a beautiful woman...

All 3 ball now. Have had 5 ball on FT but the game gets older, faster so for home use 3 ball games increase games longevity.

Phil Dixon' date=' post: 1688916 said:
3 ball on everything. If you want more earn it with an extra ball.

Was gonna say exactly the same - gives you the incentive to "earn" another ball...
smile-1.png

Matt Vince' date=' post: 1688922 said:
Mine are all set to 4 balls with no extras, as per UK league meets.

Ah at last. wonder why more of you competive people don't use this method?

3 balls , no extras , table ramped up. outlanes fully open , ball saver turned OFF. when practising for competition (ifpa rules darling ) takes the fun out, but makes you a better player.

for fun turn on the extra balls, (2 only) that or go round somebody else's house a grind them in to the ground
wink-1.png

Mine are on 4 ball. Extras allowed. 4 ball because that's what all the league meets I've been to have, extras allowed because I thought the league meets did too. LOL!

Saying all that, 4 balls too because it does give you a better shot at some of the features on home games without the game being too long (IMO)
biggrin-1.png

ditto, 4 - but replays are set to extra ball, since a replay is pointless on a freeplay machine!

mind you, did like Phil's way of keeping the credits topped up
smile-1.png

Agree on 3 ball.All mine on 3 except Black Hole-and anyone who plays my BH does not tend to disagree:eek:

My modern games are all on 3 ball, with extra balls given for replay scores to reward good play. Playfield specials set to just sound the knocker, except on TZ which awards an extra ball too. Games are left on factory settings, with outlanes half open or fully closed depending on the game. I ain't that good a player!
tongue-1.png

The early Bally pins are all set to 5 ball, as they play differently.

I was wondering what this 4 ball business was all about. I noticed most of the games at Special when Lit were set to 4 balls when I was down there recently.

I waxed the playfield on my Tron yesterday but it was too late to play it by the time I'd put it all back together. Was playing it this evening and all I can say is I'm seriously glad that's on 4 balls now. That ball flys around so damn fast now a ball can be out of play in the blink of an eye! If it wasn't for the fact that it would indicate dirt build up then I'd be somewhat looking forward to the ball slowing back down a bit
tongue-1.png

Yep, all modern games are set to 4 balls with no extra balls at Special When Lit ready for league play (and to stop the better players chasing the extra balls and extending the games from minutes long to hours long.... It is a pain trying to alter 10 machines from 3 balls with extra balls in to 4 balls with no extra balls and back again for league meets hence they stay in that format!
biggrin-1.png

Personally I prefer 3 ball with extra balls enabled as intended (aka factory settings).

3 balls, always. Thats what i am used to so thats what stays.... Did the 5 ball thing on STTNG and it killed the longevity (what i mean here is the time i had it in my home before it got uber boring) of the game so now its always 3 balls.....

Back
Top Bottom