What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

04 Jul 21 - SWL Handicap Tournament

Moonraker

Site Supporter
Sunday 4th July 2021.

Open 11:00. Start 12:00. Finish 17:00 (last round starting no later than 16:30). Venue to close at 18:00.

Cost: £20 per person. Children (under 16) £10.

There will be no WPPRs for this tournament, limited to a maximum of 20 participants - please register your place here: http://www.specialwhenlit.co.uk/events.php

The aim is to play as many rounds as possible in the five hours.

All games will be head-to-head play. The winner is the player with the most wins. Trophies for top three places. Tie-break game(s) if any of the top three places are tied.

The handicap system is as follows: If a player has won a pinball league meet or a pinball tournament and is drawn to play someone who has not, then they don't play the first ball on a modern game (of 4 balls) or the first two balls on a classic game (of 5 balls).

This is a not for profit event for supporters of Special When Lit that help raise funds to keep Special When Lit open.

I forgot to add the machine list...

We hope to have the following machines available to play:

Attack From Mars
Catcus Canyon Continued
Dark Shadow
Fathom
Firepower
Fish Tales
Flash Gordon
Genesis
Harlem Globetrotters
Jurassic Park (Stern)
Medieval Madness
Metallica Master Of The Puppets LE
Monster Bash
Nitro Ground Shaker
Pinball Magic
Pink Panther
Revenge from Mars
Scared Stiff
Sinbad
Space Hawks
Spirit
Star Wars LE
Tales From The Crypt
Terminator 2
The Simpsons Pinball Party
Transformers Combo LE
Tron: Legacy
Twilight Zone (3rd Magnet Installed)
Whitewater

Address: Unit 5, Loyal Trade Business Park, Stephenson Road, Salisbury SP2 7NS.
Fancy Map at: http://www.specialwhenlit.co.uk/location.php
Register at: http://www.specialwhenlit.co.uk/events.php

Last edited:
This will be a great tournament for anyone who is worried that they're too crap to play in a tournament. (You're not, BTW, everyone has a chance over a single game, and it's more about having fun with other pinheads than a serious comp.)

The handicap should really help level the competition out though.

And as bonus, you'll get to laugh at me when I get beaten by Pheebs and Effie repeatedly as well!

This will be a great tournament for anyone who is worried that they're too crap to play in a tournament. (You're not, BTW, everyone has a chance over a single game, and it's more about having fun with other pinheads than a serious comp.)

The handicap should really help level the competition out though.

And as bonus, you'll get to laugh at me when I get beaten by Pheebs and Effie repeatedly as well!

Hey Dan! Looking forward to this and seeing you and the girls after so long. As I’ve never won a tournament then this should be interested! See you next Sunday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forgot to add the machine list...

We hope to have the following machines available to play:

Attack From Mars
Catcus Canyon Continued
Dark Shadow
Fathom
Firepower
Fish Tales
Genesis
Harlem Globetrotters
Jurassic Park (Stern)
Medieval Madness
Metallica Master Of The Puppets LE
Monster Bash
Nitro Ground Shaker
Pinball Magic
Pink Panther
Revenge from Mars
Scared Stiff
Space Hawks
Spirit
Star Wars LE
Tales From The Crypt
Terminator 2
The Simpsons Pinball Party
Transformers Combo LE
Tron: Legacy
Twilight Zone (3rd Magnet Installed)
Whitewater

Address: Unit 5, Loyal Trade Business Park, Stephenson Road, Salisbury SP2 7NS.
Fancy Map at: http://www.specialwhenlit.co.uk/location.php
Register at: http://www.specialwhenlit.co.uk/events.php
What no Flash Gordon?......
For that reason, and that reason alone, I am out! 😉

Trophies have arrived. If the entry stays as it is then those entered will have a 1 in 3 chance of winning a trophy!

20210701_221333.jpg

If there are 12 of us that’s 6 pairs we should be able to play everyone several times in the 4 hours of game play

If there are 12 of us that’s 6 pairs we should be able to play everyone several times in the 4 hours of game play

We have 10 registrations at the moment and it's 5 hours of play (12 noon to 5pm).

A reminder for people to bring their own lunch with them as a COVID prevention measure.

We have 10 registrations at the moment and it's 5 hours of play (12 noon to 5pm).

A reminder for people to bring their own lunch with them as a COVID prevention measure.

Thx for the reminder see you soon!

Thanks to @Moonraker for hosting a great event. Was good fun and great to see and play against folks who ive not seen in 2 years! Roll on pinfest no doubt will see most of you there.

Thank you for a great day of pinball Pete!
View attachment 141692

Great to see Ben & Nick from the big smoke. Chuffed to get a trophy, felt so close to that first today, but great play from Dan & a well deserved win - well done!

Well done Luke! (Is this your forum handle?) well played and deserved

Very many thanks to Peter and Hilary for another fun day of pinball. The handicap system certainly made it interesting and much more of a level playfield.

Well pleased to see Dan gain his first win (it's been a long time coming but incredibly deserved) and also delighted to see Luke grab second and almost his own maiden victory which I'm sure that won;t be too far away. Also congrats to Andrew in third.

Would be good to do something similar again where fun and competing rather than wppr points is the priority and to give some of the regulars more of a chance against the establishment.

Congratulations to everyone involved! Such a shame couldn't make it, glad to hear it was a success. How did the handicap work out? Would you make tweaks if you did it again? I have considered it before and am interested to know how the handicap worked?

Thanks to Peter and Hillary for organising and hosting. It was great fun, handicap really did level it out, but there was still a sense of pressure playing the handicapped players even with an advantage.

There was a good turnout and it was good to catch up with people I haven't seen for 18months.

And yeah, wining my first comp felt awesome too! 😀

Congratulations to everyone involved! Such a shame couldn't make it, glad to hear it was a success. How did the handicap work out? Would you make tweaks if you did it again? I have considered it before and am interested to know how the handicap worked?

The handicap in my view helped level the paying field. And helped me win one of my 4 games of the afternoon. For me the format helped build my confidence that I can win games without worrying about getting knocked out!

How did the handicap work out? Would you make tweaks if you did it again? I have considered it before and am interested to know how the handicap worked?
It's difficult to say, 1 ball on the modern machines didn't help massively, but 2 balls on the classics was quite a big advantage. (Felt that way for me at least)

Could possibly tweak it by letting players have a certain number of flips before letting it drain rather than just plunging, but that would be harder to work out and might be complicating it more than it needs to.

I think that 2 or 3 of my games were won due to the handicap, the others 3 handicap games would have been close either way.

It certainly mixed up the standings though and the handicapped players still had a chance. Andrew came 3rd even with the handicap, and it was only a few rounds before the end when there were 2 handicapped players joint top with me and luke.

Well done to Dan, Luke and Andrew, it was nice to see some different winners from the usual suspects lol ;)

Personally, i had a shocking day, couldn't get going at all , but still enjoyed my day, everyone is really friendly and it was nice to meet some new people.

Thanks to Peter and Hillary for putting it on.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments, they're much appreciated. It was another cracking day of pinball even though I too had a shocking day.

The handicap did mix it up a lot and it certainly helped inspire some people to play better than they perhaps would normally.

@Matt Vince - I think the 1 ball modern, 2 ball classic handicap proved to be the correct format and hard to see how we could improve on it. The random draw of machines selected and order of players faced thrown up by matchplay also has a big impact on how things pan out. When handicapped players met each other a normal game was played with no plunged balls.

Back
Top Bottom