What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zacharia - Shooting the Rapids

Richiep21

Registered
Can anyone out there point me in the direction of getting my Shooting the Rapids machine repaired in the Newcastle area. The machine powers up and but ball will not load.
Any help will be much appreciated.

So it's attempting to start a game. Does it try to eject the ball - ie do you hear a noise as it tries to eject the ball? If so then maybe the ball got stuck. If not then the ball eject coil might be duff, or the electronic circuit that switches that coil on may be faulty. Are you handy enough to do some tests, have you got a Multi meter?

If not - sorry, Im a bit far away in Leeds to pop up - need someone a bit closer to you.

So it's attempting to start a game. Does it try to eject the ball - ie do you hear a noise as it tries to eject the ball? If so then maybe the ball got stuck. If not then the ball eject coil might be duff, or the electronic circuit that switches that coil on may be faulty. Are you handy enough to do some tests, have you got a Multi meter?

If not - sorry, Im a bit far away in Leeds to pop up - need someone a bit closer to you.
Thought I had replied to this yesterday BT can't see it anywhere. I do not have a multi meter and would prefer someone who knows what they are doing to look at it. The guy I bought if off came to my house a couple of times to fix issues but I have lost contact with him. I could possibly bring it to you if that's an option?

Have you checked the fuses?

If you open the coin door and press the self test button - it allows you to test out various things on the machine. One of the tests - I think test no 5 - is the one that tests all the solenoids. So, if you get into that and run those tests, can you see/hear any of the solenoids firing?

Do you have a manual for the machine - it should explain the self tests in there?

Yes, happy for you to bring it down to me, if no other options nearer for you.

Have you checked the fuses?

If you open the coin door and press the self test button - it allows you to test out various things on the machine. One of the tests - I think test no 5 - is the one that tests all the solenoids. So, if you get into that and run those tests, can you see/hear any of the solenoids firing?

Do you have a manual for the machine - it should explain the self tests in there?

Yes, happy for you to bring it down to me, if no other options nearer for you.
Hi Alan

I have pressed test button and the displays do not cycle 1111, 2222 etc. Pressing again and the displays change and some lights flash on backbone. I have a few pages of settings and tests but no manual. There is a manual on zaccharia-pinball.comcom but it is in Italian.
I would be more than willing to bring it to you if you think you can get it up and running again. Before the issues I have now it would just stop mid game.
Thanks for your time and help. Much appreciated

Richie

Download the english manual for a similar machine - this is an english verion
http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/gen1/futureworld/FutureWorld-Manual-EN.pdf

Now you can read howw to go through the self tests, self test 5 tests the solenoids - do any of them work when you run this test? If not them probably blown a fuse, if some work, but the ball kicker doesnt, then a more serious problem.

If you want PM me about bringing it to me to take a look

Download the english manual for a similar machine - this is an english verion
http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/gen1/futureworld/FutureWorld-Manual-EN.pdf

Now you can read howw to go through the self tests, self test 5 tests the solenoids - do any of them work when you run this test? If not them probably blown a fuse, if some work, but the ball kicker doesnt, then a more serious problem.

If you want PM me about bringing it to me to take a look
Hi Alan
Just tried again and this is result.
1.alarm sounds.
2. Cycle runs 1111,2222....9999
3. All score readouts are 0000.
4. Playfield and backbox flashing lights
5. All score readouts lights go out and a very faint noise from within the back box.

Excuse my ignorance but what does PM me mean?

Cheers

Richie

Hi Alan
Just tried again and this is result.
1.alarm sounds.
2. Cycle runs 1111,2222....9999
3. All score readouts are 0000.
4. Playfield and backbox flashing lights
5. All score readouts lights go out and a very faint noise from within the back box.

Excuse my ignorance but what does PM me mean?

Cheers

Richie
Ball kicker not working.

@Zaccaria Keith I wonder if you could help please. Just spoken to @Richiep21 - When we go into self test - number 1-4 all ok, then when initiate #5 solenoids - it starts off and triggers one or two solenoids, then all displays out, and machine needs to be rebooted.

@Richiep21 also reports that before out hole issue, the machine was playing ok, but would randomly hang up 1/2 way through a game sometimes, and this was getting worse.

Any pointers please?

Many thanks,

Alan

Hi, Sorry I am a bit intermittent in checking the forum and I don't always seem to get notifications recently.

One possibility for this would be if an insulator has broken off a switch actuator arm on one of the solenoid operated assemblies - when the solenoid operates then the actuator arm grounds the switch matrix and causes the processor to crash. I've seen this before as a cause of games crashing and rebooting part way through a game. I posted some photos with examples of this some time ago but I can't find them at the moment. Just a matter of looking at every solenoid assembly for switch actuators without an insulator.

Another possibility would be a flaky 39V power supply rail, although they aren't monitored on those early units so not obvious why that would cause a CPU crash orloss of displays.

Keith

I found the thread with the photos in:

Back
Top Bottom