What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zaccaria Gen2 Flipper Rebuild

Rob zombie

Site Supporter
Ok, I'm finally getting around to attempting the lower flipper rebuild on my Champ 82. Having to bastardise an older Bally rebuild kit coupled with the correct Zaccaria coils as you just cannot get these parts anywhere. First hurdle is that the Bally coil stops which appeared to fit actually have a narrower gap between the screw holes so I can't use them. Fortunately whatever coil stops were on there have a lot of meat still on them underneath all the grease and grime, so I will re-use those.

The next problem is that I want to seperate the flipper arm from plastic bit and switch those over. How do I go about seperating these without damaging anything? Does the holding pin just squeeze together and pop out? Or does it punch out? Or screw out?
DSC_1244.JPG

You need a punch to get the pin out. Something like these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magiin-Storage-Removal-Automotive-Jewelry/dp/B07QQWYGF5

not sure if these will be the right size, just giving you an idea of what they look like.

Line it up and whack it hard with a heavy hammer. You want to use as few hits as possible to avoid damaging the pin if you want to reuse it.

You really need the punch to be the right size so it can push it all the way through.

You need a punch to get the pin out. Something like these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magiin-Storage-Removal-Automotive-Jewelry/dp/B07QQWYGF5

not sure if these will be the right size, just giving you an idea of what they look like.

Line it up and whack it hard with a heavy hammer. You want to use as few hits as possible to avoid damaging the pin if you want to reuse it.

You really need the punch to be the right size so it can push it all the way through.

Brilliant, thanks for clearing that up! I'll see what I can find that's similar.

I have used nails in the past to get those buggers out,you have to be careful not to damage the plunger itself though

Check the lengths of the old plunger your removing Vs the new Bally one you're thinking of using. If they're about the same then I'd stick with the originals and just re-bevel the end. If the Bally ones are shorter then I'd also not bother as you'll get different flipper travel

I might try these. But there is a proper Silverline set of pin punchers on Amazon that's only £6, but will take two weeks to arrive. 🤔
DSC_1245.JPG

Check the lengths of the old plunger your removing Vs the new Bally one you're thinking of using. If they're about the same then I'd stick with the originals and just re-bevel the end. If the Bally ones are shorter then I'd also not bother as you'll get different flipper travel

Yes they are slightly different lengths. The new Bally ones are a bit longer. The original ones (if they are original? It had incorrect coils fitted) were almost falling out of the coils are their full travel. But then again, the coil sleeves looked like this...

158851776135216188150793261830.jpg

Oh crap. I just realised the hole on the old plastic part is bigger than the new one which will introduce play into the travel.

Ok so the other option is to keep the old arms, polish them up and swap them with the arms from the top flippers.

Looks like I will have a complete Bally flipper rebuild kit for sale shortly 😂

Back
Top Bottom