What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress WWFRR - Event Accurate Cabinet Decal Design

Dinsdale

Site Supporter
Hi all

I've decided to start putting the ideas for improving the WWF Royal Rumble pinball machine with various modifications to practice. The first is the cabinet decals. Those familiar with the history of the game will know that Data East basically threw their hands up and said "bugger it" when it come to which wrestlers to feature, which constantly changed at the request of the WWF due to wrestlers leaving for a rival promotion. What we got was basically the standard WWF Royal Rumble logo on a plain black background.

WWE-Royal-Rumble-preview.jpg

But I think this could be better. From 1989 to 1995 (this game is based on late '93 to early '94), the WWF used the same ring apron for it's Royal Rumble events, with flags with the same colour scheme hanging in the arena. Here's a picture of what I mean.

Arena Example.jpg

With blue legs to match the colour of the ring posts, I think this would give a more authentic (and colourful) alternative.

Luckily, a close up (sort of) of one of the arena banners is online.

Arena Flag reference.jpeg

I used this as somewhat of a reference, and I've done a quick mockup (stress, not final, need to correct alignment and design) and I have four questions.

Mockup copy.jpg

1. What do you think?
2. Does this mean the side rails and the lockbar should be an off white/blue to match the ring canvas? This doesn't match the playfield at all.
3. What the hell should I put on the front of the cabinet?
4. When finalised, is there someone who can actually print these in high quality silkscreen that anyone could recommend? I did speak to @Ant-H who recommended @xianek as a possibility?

Thanks
Gary

Be careful with how high you put the logo.
Once you allow for over print and the side rails the lettering could be quite near the rails.

Are you doing a new backglass design too??

Good point, was hoping to get some template that accounts for the rails etc. that there is just a quick mock-up from a pic I got off Google Images.

No, not planning to do the backglass. Partly because there's a few alternates already out there; and secondly it's very difficult to do so with the wrestlers that are actually featured in the game, the timing of the release is horrible from that perspective.

I've seen the prototype art which is amazing but few of those are featured on the playfield... and therefore to me it would look a bit odd.

I'm a stickler for accuracy on WWF stuff.

This is one of my fave ever games. Personally I’d love to use this image somewhere. Kudos for pimping it upIMG_1547.jpeg

This is one of my fave ever games. Personally I’d love to use this image somewhere. Kudos for pimping it upView attachment 231469
There is my OCD again with the WWE version of the logo.

That's the classic poster drawn by Joe Jusko used for the 1991 event. He'd do another one for 1992.

But people have got this in a backglass. You can buy it here: https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/wwf-royal-rumble-alternate-pinball-translite/

As cool as that is, there's only two wrestlers featured on the playfield (Macho and Perfect with Hogan providing voice).

It's out of date ever so slightly. If this game was out a year earlier; it's perfect.

If you have photoshop rigged up - on the visual pinball forums - a guy exists called 'stuzza'

He does designs - some are free, but he charges if he takes on custom work.

Download one of his files and put your graphics on top - he has cut outs for buttons and door etc (do not print these)......

Worth using as a template.

I am getting my RR first week of October so not in best position to comment yet. But my first non-ocd thoughts are:
1. Purple background as shown with blue legs will look very "happy" like Batman 66, which I like. But maybe too correct? I think that blue background with black legs will also look good.
2. The sides of the backbox could have a wrestler each, as the current one, not HH again, but The Undertaker (of course!) and Macho Man? Maybe the Ultimate Warrior? (Although not in game). I think the wwf logo is shown too many times.
3. The front coin door looks good with Doink I think. Who is the other guy? He can go. Paul Bearer could be in there instead, or Macho Man's girlfriend. Maybe this part of the cabinet is for side wing men/women.
In a nutshell, I don't mind the "drag n drop" design of it now. As a reference, I like Dr No's side art most, better than the LE & Prems, which are just lazy.
So... saying that you could drop 8 more guys on the sides of the cabinet, 2 each side of the logos. The purple will look better then. More filled in.

...Or maybe not...

This is one of my fave ever games. Personally I’d love to use this image somewhere. Kudos for pimping it upView attachment 231469
I remember when that particular RR came out. It was the first bit of WWF wrestling I’d seen. Before this all id seen was Big Daddy on World of Sport, and couldn’t believe what I was seeing 😂

Last edited:
If you have photoshop rigged up - on the visual pinball forums - a guy exists called 'stuzza'

He does designs - some are free, but he charges if he takes on custom work.

Download one of his files and put your graphics on top - he has cut outs for buttons and door etc (do not print these)......

Worth using as a template.
I have downloaded the free ones but can't see anything that's a DE widebody. I have registered on VP to PM him but my account registration isn't coming through yet. Will keep trying, but this is a great shout - thank you!

I remember when that particular RR came out. It was the first bit of WWF wrestling I’d seen. Before this all id seen was Big Daddy on World of Sport, and couldn’t believe what I was seeing 😂
I used to watch it in Spanish TV dubbed in a really funny way when I was 14 ish.
We used to play in the playground taking up characters. No Instagram back then. So good. Loved it. Still do.
My kids laugh and say "it's fake, it's fake!" I tell them it ain't.

Back
Top Bottom