What's new

WPC-S Security PIC

alphanu

Registered
Hi guys

Just a small question on these boards, I was just reading the pinwiki about them and it says this:

The most significant difference was the introduction of the security PIC. This devices contains a serial number and a handshake mechanism. The serial number is displayed at startup, and allowed the manufactuer to identify the dealer who sold a machine into a particular region. This approach was necessary when substantial price differences were common across Europe, to prevent grey imports.
To prevent simple removal of the PIC, the device also controlled the switch matrix, and would not operate without a correct machine code from the WPC CPU. Therefore, there is one PIC for each machine. An incorrect or defective chip will result in a "G13 error" at startup.

Now the way that reads, it sounds like the CPU and PIC are a matched pair? So if I got a WPC-S board with the CPU and added a WCS94 PIC, would that work or not? Seems a bit daft if not, though looking at the PinLED replacement board, it says nothing about this.

Any advice would be useful!

It would work. The CPU is a 68E09 and is what it is: it cannot be matched to anything. All that has to match is the game EPROM and the PIC.

BTW - did the Fliptronics board turn up?

Ah cool that's what I thought. It was just the wording there that threw me off.

Yep the board arrived ok, thanks mate :)

Back
Top Bottom