What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WPC Power Driver Board Mess

MajesticPinball

Site Supporter
Alias
James Reed
Good evening guys and gals, recently bought a machine on here that I was very excited for and have desperately wanted in my collection for a long, long time. It was described as fully working but it is far from. I'm all up for a project and love a challenge but I'm desperate for space right now and this going to be a pain. If anybody has a spare Power Driver board suitable for a Creech that I could buy I'd greatly appreciate it as at the moment I really don't have the time, space or money to work on this board, let alone restore the pin to the standard I would like to be at.

Thanks everyone,
James

Attachments

• IMG-20200210-WA0015.jpg
    IMG-20200210-WA0015.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG-20200210-WA0017.jpg
    IMG-20200210-WA0017.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG-20200210-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20200210-WA0016.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG-20200210-WA0018.jpg
    IMG-20200210-WA0018.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG-20200210-WA0020.jpg
    IMG-20200210-WA0020.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG-20200210-WA0019.jpg
    IMG-20200210-WA0019.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG-20200210-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20200210-WA0016.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 57
I saw this on Facebook... as the pictures show, it is a bit of a mess.

@Durzel highlights the key points.

It was bought from someone on here, it was described as working. Stuff can break in transit. If you were sent images, to be honest, its fair cop and you pays your money and take your choice. I would have probably purchased something looking like that on a semi project basis, given that it said working, but lets be honest... however, again money and choice.

If you didn't and that turned up at my house, I would be fuming. That is what you can see of the board. What's lurking behind? If it wasn't described as such and isn't working on arrival, time to be asking for a refund or new board. They can weigh in the wire as a consolation.

Was it described as such even though working?

Sure, I can take a look at it no problem. I’m sure we can put it back to factory no problem and clean it up. The good thing is they haven’t thrown away the big heat sink when doing the bodge!! 😀

cheers

jim

Last edited:
My own fault really as I'm far too trusting and I didn't ask to see pictures of the boards, i took fully working in good faith and was hoping to just shop out the playfield and then enjoy it. Lesson learnt though, I won't be as trusting in the future.

@myPinballs Thanks Jim, I'm going to take the board out later this week and see what kind of horrors are on the back and will see what I can do but will probably be in touch with you soon 😂

If the issue is related to the driver board, then I would message the seller and explain that’s not good enough. Personally.

Maybe that would preclude me from some selling to me, but it’s what I’d expect if someone got any machine from me.

A wire off, or something that can happen in transit, fine. That’s just a dogs dinner.

My own fault really as I'm far too trusting and I didn't ask to see pictures of the boards, i took fully working in good faith and was hoping to just shop out the playfield and then enjoy it. Lesson learnt though, I won't be as trusting in the future.

@myPinballs Thanks Jim, I'm going to take the board out later this week and see what kind of horrors are on the back and will see what I can do but will probably be in touch with you soon 😂

When sellling there are some things you DEFINITELY mention ....and bl**dy hell , a hack of that magnitude is one of them. There is no way in hell I would pass that on without mentioning it , not in the least because you know there is gonna be comeback on it surely . Bad form. Bad seller imo.

I can imagine why something like this would happen on route, down the dock side or whatever. An operator needs to keep a game running come what may and just hacks this fix up.

I could never in good conscience sell something with hacks like that without mentioning it though, even if it was working.

Fella

Get some money back. I wouldn't want a fix on that power driver board with those burn marks. I would want a replacement board.

If the seller won't rectify this, name and shame. They shouldn't be selling on this forum, and the admins should support banning the person from selling, either temporary or permanently.

Sent from my Atari 2600

Fella

Get some money back. I wouldn't want a fix on that power driver board with those burn marks. I would want a replacement board.

If the seller won't rectify this, name and shame. They shouldn't be selling on this forum, and the admins should support banning the person from selling, either temporary or permanently.

Sent from my Atari 2600
This could be a newbie/innocent mistake. When I sold my collection to fund my house build it was a bit rushed and I forgot a pretty bad hack on one of the pins. As soon as the buyer pointed it out I paid for the repair and job done. I hope this seller has the same morals and offers to do the right thing or perhaps he was chancing it and @Alpha1 is right but lets give him a chance to correct it first.

edit. I should have looked at the pics first. Thats a horror show! Off to sharpen my pitchfork....

I would agree with you, however it doesn't take any pinball specific knowledge to realise that your standard 2 core electrical flex soldered onto a bridge rectifier, mounted haphazardly at the top of the backbox isn't noteworthy.

I agree with naming and shaming tbh, if it's not resolved properly.

Regards the charring, of what little I know and have read, it might look a lot worse than it is and may clear up fine with iso. Since the board definitely needs to go off to a pro to rectify, you might as well get all of the components checked out. Some of those transistors look weird to me?

This could be a newbie/innocent mistake. When I sold my collection to fund my house build it was a bit rushed and I forgot a pretty bad hack on one of the pins. As soon as the buyer pointed it out I paid for the repair and job done. I hope this seller has the same morals and offers to do the right thing or perhaps he was chancing it and @Alpha1 is right but lets give him a chance to correct it first.

edit. I should have looked at the pics first. Thats a horror show! Off to sharpen my pitchfork....
Definitely not a newbie, and definately done similar to others before. I'm not looking to name and shame or start any drama... I was just looking to build some awareness that although on the whole our community is built of wonderful people, you do have to be careful and really must check boards in any machine before buying

I would agree with you, however it doesn't take any pinball specific knowledge to realise that your standard 2 core electrical flex soldered onto a bridge rectifier, mounted haphazardly at the top of the backbox isn't noteworthy.

I agree with naming and shaming tbh, if it's not resolved properly.

Regards the charring, of what little I know and have read, it might look a lot worse than it is and may clear up fine with iso. Since the board definitely needs to go off to a pro to rectify, you might as well get all of the components checked out. Some of those transistors look weird to me?
Yeah there's definately a horrible weird mix of transistors. Will hopefully be able to get the board out on Thursday to see the real extent of the damage

Definitely not a newbie, and definately done similar to others before. I'm not looking to name and shame or start any drama... I was just looking to build some awareness that although on the whole our community is built of wonderful people, you do have to be careful and really must check boards in any machine before buying
Will you reply to PM's asking for names? It might help to prevent future incidents if people know in their own minds, rather than publicly.

Okay, seller has offered to swap out driver boards with me which I'm grateful for.

To any newbies to the hobby or even people just way too trusting, such as myself... please please pleaseeeee check boards before buying any machine people!

Back
Top Bottom