What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WPC 5v daughterboard

Durzel

Registered
When I bought my TZ the guy I bought it from gave me & fitted some sort of board that supposedly makes the 5v power more reliable. He said the machine didn't need it, but that he was gifting it to me because I "seemed like I would worry otherwise" (he got the measure of me very quickly, and TZ was my first pin, and not cheap).

Since buying a TAF I've wondered if I ought to buy this daughterboard for that too. I've had no issues with it in terms of resets or anything like that, but since i've already ordered @myPinballs 's Mod Power Expander Board I wondered whether I should do this mod too, just for belts and braces or whatever.

Do people generally fit this board as a preventative measure even if they aren't experiencing resets?

Or is it simply a case of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" ?

Last edited:
If it’s not broke don’t fix it. In my opinion if it’s fitted you may never know of an underlying problem.

I have one of those boards and my rationale is, if my game starts to reset, I’ll install it to tide me over until it’s fixed then remove.

That’s just me though

I had a problem with JM. Fitted one of these and it never reset again . Still advisable to fix the underlying issue but the daughter board does keep games running

If it’s not broke don’t fix it. In my opinion if it’s fitted you may never know of an underlying problem.

I have one of those boards and my rationale is, if my game starts to reset, I’ll install it to tide me over until it’s fixed then remove.

That’s just me though

No, it's me also.
It's my emergency sticky plaster for WPC89.

I had occasional problems with reset in the past but fitted a ‘fix’ daughterboard. In my current tz and taf I have fitted a secondary 12v supply mainly for pinstadium due to concerns about overloading - had no problems. I have had ordered 2 of Jim’s boards at myPinball’s but not got around to collecting them as I have been unable to collect them. When I eventually get them I’ll replace the ones I fitted.

Basically that daughter board is a bodge a quick fix to solve low 5v re set using the 12v and rectifying to 5v
Do the job correctly and sort out the 5v on the driver board

Basically that daughter board is a bodge a quick fix to solve low 5v re set using the 12v and rectifying to 5v

Yeah I don’t have the daughterboard on my current machines, have a dedicated 12/5v supply.

Exactly what I was about to say. Don't mask your problem, get the driver board fixed properly. These no reason to use these boards in my view unless you want a temp fix for a few weeks etc

Back
Top Bottom