What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worth checking your council tax band - refund :)

Sgt GrizZ

Registered
Ex PinballInfo Admin . MIA Brighton Hove beach
Alias
Ive
Hi guys

I recently questioned our council tax banding, and to my pleasant surprise they agreed with me and dropped us a band ..... saves us a couple hundred a year BUT importantly they backdated it to when we moved in :clap::clap::clap: We been here 17 years (!) so boom ...nice little refund ££££ :D

You need to check what neighbours are on, and also need to ascertain value of your property back when council tax bands were first set. Which can be trickier as digital records dont tend to go back that for .There is a price tool in the link below though - which I used in my case.

If neighbour(s) with similar property are lower band, and your value back in early 90s fits the lower band then you have a good case.

Be warned - don't go challenging if you're not sure as they could raise you a band, or raise the neighbours ... which probably wouldn't make you very popular.

Worth checking though - once I had details it took one email to set the ball rolling. The VOA and Council do it all.

And if you do get something , mines a pint yeah ;):thumbs:

http://www.unclaimedfinances.co.uk/claiming-back-council-tax.html

Last edited:
:clap: Just gave it a go as most of the other properties in my street are a lower Band and the Nationwide House Price Calculator shows I would have been well within the lower Band in 1991, so nothing to lose :thumbs:

I was reading about this a few weeks back as we're due to move.

As the new place is one of only a few four bedroom places in the area we're probably on about the right band.

To be honest i'm more miffed at having to pay council tax on two properties until the old place sells. I mean I can understand them wanting to encourage properties to be lived in and used but when you're in the midst of moving and trying to sell it seems a bit harsh to then stick the seller with extra council tax as well. I mean, it's not like i'm going to use twice as many services is it?

Back
Top Bottom