What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wish I'd known this 20 yrs ago

Install3balls

Site Supporter
Alias
MM 🐰
Newbie advice that may or may not have been covered before,

So Yer Tiz

Ok so its your first pin, everyone has one

your excited, you've shelled out, you've spent hours convincing your partner its a good idea to convert the garage or old nursery and its an investment

Your lying to yourself btw :cool:

You arrive at Vendor .................then follow the post by s00m if you want to appear as a total knob....use your eyes

My advice thereafter is

You ideally will have sack trucks in the car, excellent, but remember you still have to put them back in the car with a pin without scratching the car, pin or any passenger and the legs bolts keys manuals tools have to fit too.

Take an appropriate spanner or socket to remove bolts from the legs , unlikely the vendor will have it to hand

Most Vendors work so most transactions will be in the dark at night outside for loading up

before vendor folds machine down take control, if you feel its necessary, lift backbox glass out and check lightbox is locked, or remove the backglass altogether and transport it away from the pin (preferred)

GET YOUR BALLS OUT
they will smash the hell out of plastics if left in and make you wince when you hear the crashing driving home

Lay thick cardboard or soft stuff between backbox and playfield glass then lower the backbox and strap it to the cab tightly with one of your straps covering areas where the strap touches the cab with cardboard

So It's car time......you should have at least two small nylon self locking straps and thick corrugated carboard to hand as well as some nylon/slider type carpet for the floor of the car be sure to cover coloured bumpers (some cars have a lip between boot and folded seats so use a bit of blue damp proof membrane to slide over it)

Pin must face with plunger at front, check aperture of your car at the back this will be the highest point of the machine with the backbox on glass

Strap the pin to the floor of the car. most cars have luggage points, simple but its very easily overlooked.

I chanced moving SS from Todler in Warminster to Brizzle thinking its late at night I'll be fine, until someone pulled out on me at 60 mph, I hit the brakes hard and the unstrapped pin broke both electric motors in the front seats by sliding forward into them and I drove home with my chin on the wheel..........very scary but its your call

Also Don't put a pin on roof bars... I tried that and it worked and I travelled home over 8 miles but I buggered the car roof
never put one n a swimming pool either Nick put a fish tales in one that didn't work out well either

OK so your home and your buzzing

Don't lose the Buzz it's incredible and in your memory, you'll never forget it but please take stock and slow down

Obviously take care getting it to where its going to be sited

So its where you want it and your eager to set her up and possibly bouncing with anticipation

This is how many set up pins without damaging them but there will always be variations
It's on it's back, so front legs first, do not tighten the front legs fully, leave a tiny tiny bit of slack or when you upright it the legs may slide up the pin and scratch/ripple the art work on the cab

Lower it onto the front legs

Next lift the back of the cab and place a leg under the middle against the plywood joint, where the back of the cab joins the floor of the cab you'll feel it, it will balance trust me

Loosely fit a third leg then remove the stay leg you put in the middle, once again it will balance with little support and loosely fit it

drop the pin onto all its legs and very very gently wiggle it left to right and then tighten legs

Lift backbox and LOCK it, this is a HUGE newbie mistake, if this falls onto the playfield glass its nasty and potentially expensive, I used to put an old playfield screw in the lock mech

Only other thing is lock the lightboard behind the trans/backglass with an old playfield screw it can break loose and the lock will scratch the trans/backglass

I think most would say my pins were A+ quality using this technique

Hope that's of use to someone

MM

It wasn’t until I got my second pin that I discovered there was a switch under he cabinet! The first one turned on as soon as it was plugged in so I spent three months turning it on and off at the mains. Oopsies.

Discovering Martin collects and delivers is also a watershed moment.

OK, OK. @cooldan came to my house and laughed at me turning it on at the wall, he went to show me the switch and we then realised there was a plate over it so punters couldn't turn it off and on again on site. I had to take TAF's line filter assembly off to remove the plate.

But the rest is some cracking advice for collecting your first pin, some things I had to learn the hard way.

Last edited:
Had two customers this week that didn't know about the mains switch. One was 5 years owned but the other was 21 years owned 🙁
I never made that same mistake the first few weeks of ownership when I got my Getaway back in 2012, honestly....

additional

If your buying an older pin the power cable is fixed and fits in a tube structure sited in the back of the cab
Either disconnect it (remember your tools) or use masking tape over the hole
Nothing pees you off more than looking for a new plug after you’ve smashed the old one to pieces

MM

If buying a newer Stern, the plug & cable fits into a recess at the bottom rear of the cabinet. Saves contacting the seller in a panic thinking he hasn't sent it 😉.

Or you buy your first 1960s Bally EM to discover there is no mains switch under the cabinet, who'd have guessed left flipper :rolleyes:

That caper, which Williams used as well, isn't a mains switch as such; extra contacts on the left button power up the 'lock' or 'series' relay, with the effect of bringing up the illumination circuits.

If your buying an older pin the power cable is fixed and fits in a tube structure sited in the back of the cab
Either disconnect it (remember your tools) or use masking tape over the hole

If the machine's older again, remember to pull out the fixed mains lead, and place it in the slanted opening in the back of the pedestal or 'neck' of the cabinet, before attaching the back box.

Ha - Mr Mellows I wish I had a container 20 years ago I could of put all the games in I got then for a few hundred pounds.

For example...
MM - £2K
CV- £1200
AFM - £900
SS - £600
TZ - £400
ToM - £600
FLINTSTONES - £300
BAYWATCH - FREE
GETAWAY - £250
NO FEAR - £400
RFM - £800

Oh - I would of taken out the AA batteries :)

Also, don't ever do what I did when my first pin arrived in the back of a couriers van with the legs on.....attempt to carry it down a flight of stairs with the legs on 🤪 Stairs and pinball machines don't mix well at the best of times, but when the centre of gravity is at head height it's lethal.

Had two customers this week that didn't know about the mains switch. One was 5 years owned but the other was 21 years owned 🙁

Years ago went to look at a Super Mario & FT off Ebay near Morpeth. Place was a massive series of barns used to supply props for films etc.
Bloke said one works (SM), Fishy doesn’t. I was interested in the FT. He plugged them both in & sure enough no sign of life from Fishy.
So I flicked the switch….
and as soon as I did it I thought “you tw@ Al”.
I’d probably doubled it’s price…

Ok list of pins owned and cost back in late '98 - '08

1. Star Trek (original) £50​
  2. Radical £450​
  3. EATPM £500​
  4. TtR £300​
  5. DD £450​
  6. MA £250​
  7. JM £750​
  8. HS2 £450​
  9. GnR £950 mint with topper​
  10. ToM £1300 mint​
  11. DM £750 mint​
  12. PM #1 SS straight swap Best Pinball Machine ever made​
  13. PM #2 £1500 mint Best Pinball Machine ever made NOS playfield signed by Bryan Hansen and all NOS Capcom Plastics etc​
  14. SS #1 £950​
  15. RfM £1400​
  16. PZ £350​
  17. NGG £1200​
  18. STTNG £900 mint​
  19. WH20 £150​
  20. FT £180​
  21. Hurricane £200​
  22. Whirlwind £350​
  23. Sky Jump £20 beyond salvage so scrapped for parts​
  24. 8 Ball £50 beyond salvage so scrapped for parts​
  25. Cabaret £15 played ok but scrapped for parts​
  26. Shadow £425​
  27. CFTBL £850​
  28. Dr Who £250​
  29. Future Spa £450​
  30. Strange Science £250​
  31. SS #2 £1250​
  32. Hook £100​
  33. Secret Service £450​
  34. Starship Troopers £450​
  35. EATPM #2 £250​
  36. SoF £350​
  37. Flipper Football £170​
  38. Class of 1812 £500​

Don't know how much diesel used during acquisition though

Might have missed some off but the list is more of a comparison to current prices

I used to put a remote battery holder in so if I forgot it wasn't an issue

Is Gary Flower still around ?

MM

Years ago went to look at a Super Mario & FT off Ebay near Morpeth. Place was a massive series of barns used to supply props for films etc.
Bloke said one works (SM), Fishy doesn’t. I was interested in the FT. He plugged them both in & sure enough no sign of life from Fishy.
So I flicked the switch….
and as soon as I did it I thought “you tw@ Al”.
I’d probably doubled it’s price…
Your not alone Alan

Have you fried any fluffy jumpers recently ? ;)

MM

Ha - Mr Mellows I wish I had a container 20 years ago I could of put all the games in I got then for a few hundred pounds.

For example...
MM - £2K
CV- £1200
AFM - £900
SS - £600
TZ - £400
ToM - £600
FLINTSTONES - £300
BAYWATCH - FREE
GETAWAY - £250
NO FEAR - £400
RFM - £800

Oh - I would of taken out the AA batteries :)
That you Mr D ?

I only Know two of you in Bournville and you don't sound like Ade and wasn't Stormy Nick from Leicester area ?

Either, Or, no matter I'm pleased some Old Skool is floating about still

MM

Also, don't ever do what I did when my first pin arrived in the back of a couriers van with the legs on.....attempt to carry it down a flight of stairs with the legs on 🤪 Stairs and pinball machines don't mix well at the best of times, but when the centre of gravity is at head height it's lethal.
How on earth do you transport a pin on legs ? !!!!!!!

Massively not advised and as Rob can verify, a little bit stupid too :eek:

MM

Hi PinballDaze

I see you Moniker Roundel is Capcom, may I ask why ?

Just curious as I thought I was the only Capcom nut ? 🤪

How on earth do you transport a pin on legs ? !!!!!!!

Massively not advised and as Rob can verify, a little bit stupid too :eek:

MM
My first purchase, 1985, an EM from a Scouts auction £15 transported by helpful Scout leader in an open trailer, on its legs. Five wobbly miles. But it made it !

My first purchase, 1985, an EM from a Scouts auction £15 transported by helpful Scout leader in an open trailer, on its legs. Five wobbly miles. But it made it !
Surprising how many pins have survived over the years with that kinda treatment ……says the Man who had CFTBL in the car and a Whirlwind on the roof at the same time

Ill advised to copy me on that one 🤡

MM

Figure hugging latex is the order of the day for pin fixing Tony 👍
Remind me to be nowhere near you and a broken pin Alan, I don't think I could handle the excitement 🤯

Glad your well

Some of the group have offered to lend me a pin but for obvious reasons they need to check me out, would you be so kind ?

MM

Wish I'd known that Apple shares were going to increase increase 500 fold.

Remind me to be nowhere near you and a broken pin Alan, I don't think I could handle the excitement 🤯

Glad your well

Some of the group have offered to lend me a pin but for obvious reasons they need to check me out, would you be so kind ?

MM
Sorry BE so kind to let them know I'm a total ahole :cool:

MM

Glad your well

MM

Well you were a sound bloke 15 years ago, unless owt’s changed from then.

Sorry BE so kind to let them know I'm a total ahole :cool:

MM

Who’d trust a bloke that’s been known to knock three bottles of Cava back in a session?

Back
Top Bottom