What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless router advice

DRD

Registered
My house is on bt Internet .I get about 40 Meg speed

I have two tp-link range extenders that use the 240v ring main to get the signal round the house

To get broadband into my pinshed I have a conduit that takes a network cable from a tplink unit inside my house, through the wall, under ground and into the pinshed.

1519406202940134240337.jpg

This cable carrying the signal is what you plug into a laptop. What wireless device do I need to buy pls so I can set up a mini wireless network inside the shed pls ?

Thanks

Wireless Access Point

I use Ubiquiti AP AC Pro, because I have other Ubiquiti kit, but you can get away with much cheaper alternatives. ‘Get away with’ does not mean ‘solidly rely on’ though.

Reactions: DRD
BT wholehome Wi-fi single disc award winning - beats them all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And the. You can buy extra discs if you ever need them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Given that the shed is only 7.5m by 5m and has a stud partition wall, does anyone know a practical ie cheapo wireless access point to go for pls ?

We are not gamers. Just home office type stuff .Skype .

The house is all sorted, this is merely a little network for the shed that offers reasonable security

For a signal to get from inside my house into my shed it has to travel trough a cavity brick wall. Concrete cladding. Then 2 pieces of foil backed celotex ie 4 layers of thick aluminium foil - which is why I put the wire into it .

We are not gamers.

Says the person asking about Internet in their gamesroom.

:popcorn:

Get an ‘AC’ capable Access Point.

Or ‘N’ as the bare minimum if all you do is check the weather forecast instead of looking out the window.

I read that you could reprogramme old routers to perform this WAP role. But my old router had a sticky IP address that did not want to be changed so I aborted.

I bought a basic tp link powerline adapter for £15. Naturally it came with no instructions so I had to use the web message based help desk

It is in now delivering 40 to 45 MB speed which is more than adequate. Especially compared to the 3 MB at best I was getting using the wifi signal passing through brick and foil wrapped celotex. The foil must be the cause of this as the shed is only a couple of meters from the house

Thanks for the help @Neil McRae and @Monkeyboypaul
IMG_20180227_0944474.jpg

Last edited:
David

I have a spare Access Point I can post to you

D-link DWL 2100AP

Reactions: DRD
Needing to upgrade Wi-Fi at work to an area that doesn't get any like David's pinshack/masterbatorium, would this do it Ian? What would you want for it?

Just the postage

Back
Top Bottom