What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wired In Smoke Detectors

DRD

Registered
For decades I used the cheap battery smoke detectors and they only annoyed me when the batteries went flat.

My electrician has insisted I have wired detectors since then with battery back up and they have been nothing but trouble.

Across two properties about half of these wired in units have failed within 5 years and as these are linked together when one goes off they all go off.

My electrician originaly installed BRK. When these began to fail I switched to Fireangel. The fireangels are now failing.

These things are complete crap.

Has anyone found a decent brand that actually lasts please ?

Thank you

Had aico ei146rc in house when purchased in 2007 and had them replaced with same thing in 2015 when they got to their 10 year end date. Never any trouble. Got same for holiday home which was on batteries no trouble there either. Screwfix sell them about 30 quid each and they can be interlinked.

Your electrician likely using cheaper option.

Reactions: DRD
Screwfix code is 308fp

And they work very well too. Steaks on the aga set them off every time unless we shut kitchen door.

Reactions: DRD
Legislation in Scotland changed where you need to get the heat and smoked linked detectors.
Had to be sealed units , I got 10 year lithium sealed.
3 on Amazon for around 100 quid
1 heat + 2 smoke.
Satisfies new legal stuff for Scotland.
No wires needed.
Sorry, Chinese brand…I think but they must pass tests (En) to be sold in UK.
Can’t tell how good they will be but so far ok after a year, at least they are cheap and easy to install. Just add extra units if needed.
Wireless Interlinked Smoke and... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SX55W8M?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

For monoxide:
FireAngel CO-9X-10T-FF Carbon... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00O57EBUE?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Last edited:
Exactly the same problem!! Brk failed in a deadly way... just kaput... no blips... had I not noticed the light was missing it would be still up there!

Replaced with 10y fire angels. No battery replacement needed, li-ion, swap out when dead.

So far so good

Do not forget if you rent out your property - you have to put in wired detectors and have them checked over every (x) amount of years.
HMO have different rules as per regulations and by different local councils.

Be careful you arent wasting your £'s
My pal has a few HMOs and in the end we put in proper systems.

You can get smaller ones but this kit did my pal proud.
Bad news is the FP200 costs a fortune too. You can not wire them in 6242Y

Fire Angel are terrible, I had a number in a few properties with 10 year batteries - all failed within 5 years. At home I've got Nest wired smoke alarms, pricey but well worth it

Do not forget if you rent out your property - you have to put in wired detectors and have them checked over every (x) amount of years.
HMO have different rules as per regulations and by different local councils.

Be careful you arent wasting your £'s
My pal has a few HMOs and in the end we put in proper systems.

You can get smaller ones but this kit did my pal proud.
Bad news is the FP200 costs a fortune too. You can not wire them in 6242Y
Incorrect I’m afraid.
Doesn’t need to be wired at all:-

Different councils have different rules. Houses of multiple occuplancies have more strict rules as well. In Shropshire you have to have a detector in every occupied room, as well as kitchen, landings etc.

You can pass UK regulations and not council.
Propered wired systems last for 20 years plus. Change £20 worth of batteries in the panel every 7 years and vacuum detectors.
In 20 years you can spend just as much on replacing cheap ones.

In the UK since 92 (I think) it is requirements a NEW BUILD has to have wired smoke detectors (at least one).

So many different rules.
Wireless stuff, sorry - dont trust it. Installed wireless security on two friends properties - both utterly terrible. Nothing is as good as cable.

The nest does smoke, carbon monoxide, has an app so you can monitor when away, does its own monthly test and also has a pathway light (so you can see where to go in a fire). It's easy to mute as well either via app or touching the button. I got my last 3 for £180 last year (was an open box deal). They seem to have gone up a bit, but, for peace of mind I wouldn't want anything else now.

Plus it talks to you in a husky female voice, I'll never forget setting mine up on one landing - I'd already set the other up on the other landing and so I picked the room closest to name that one. Imagine my surprise when I hear "Ready, in the Master Bedroom" after set up :rofl:

The tidal wave or regulations is just insane.

Years ago I renovated a 1940s cavity wall bungalow. It has no access to mains drainage or mains gas. It was heated by coal fires and electric heaters. I put in full double glazing, added a double glazed porch, insulated the previously bare roof space, internal celotex on walls, celotex on the floor, new water system, storage heaters (which at the time were favoured by the eco folk).

Bungalows are the absolute worst thing from an EPC perspective.

Despite all the money I sunk into it, this thing gets only a D grade on the epc report. The insulated floor counted for zero. It will soon be illegal to rent out as it is less than a C grade.

Despite doing all I reasonably could to improve a low cost property in a low cost area I was told at the time that my fallback was to then install solar cells and this would dramatically improve the rating.

Then you get the fiasco of wired in fire alarms.

Idiocy like this is permeating every aspect of life these days.

Different councils have different rules. Houses of multiple occuplancies have more strict rules as well. In Shropshire you have to have a detector in every occupied room, as well as kitchen, landings etc.

You can pass UK regulations and not council.
Propered wired systems last for 20 years plus. Change £20 worth of batteries in the panel every 7 years and vacuum detectors.
In 20 years you can spend just as much on replacing cheap ones.

In the UK since 92 (I think) it is requirements a NEW BUILD has to have wired smoke detectors (at least one).

So many different rules.
Wireless stuff, sorry - dont trust it. Installed wireless security on two friends properties - both utterly terrible. Nothing is as good as cable.
I prefer cables too, def for CCTV etc..
In Scotland it’s all change. I have wired smoke system installed in my home but now doesn’t meet the Scottish legislation anymore so had to get the interlinked system, just went wireless for ease and to satisfy insurance in event place burns down.
2 systems running 🙄

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom