What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Williams Tri Zone

nudge.fudger

Registered
Can see some great threads/work detailed in this corner of forum - first timer on this tech, so hopefully some tips to be found (any pointers welcome).

No luck tracking down paperwork yet but made a start on cleaning up CPU board (first photo as found - second of underside - no obvious signs of previous repair).
Looking better after a wash (third photo) but battery contamination still present in/under sockets and chips (fourth/fifth photos) - bridging pads.
Replaced original sockets - now lifting and cleaning under soldered chips before refitting in sockets.
A pair of 9316 PROMs are shedding the plating on legs - will be looking to get the game files burnt onto 2716's (from what i've read so far, requires a small mod to pin18).
Hoping there's nothing really hard to find on these boards ... spotted a few IC not encountered before.

TZ CPU board (as found).JPG TZ CPU board (as found - underside).JPG TZ CPU board (after wash).JPG TZ CPU board (under RAM socket).JPG TZ CPU board (PIA removal).JPG TZ CPU board (PIA removal 2).JPG TZ CPU board (PIA removal 3).JPG TZ CPU board (new RAM socket).JPG

By the gods you're brave. I would be looking for a new board!

What's the approach with battery damage then, some acid (vinegar?) to neutralize the alcaline and then clean it all off, while trying not to lift any traces or pads?

Getting sweaty just thinking about it.

Haha, yeah, was struggling a bit with some of the corner pins on some of the ROM sockets etc., the ground/power pins with a large pad/track, due to way solder has degraded and no longer flows properly - fortunately managed to get the PIA up without any significant damage to pads/pins but not out the woods yet and can't help wondering if this ends up being one of those boards that drags its feet and refuses to repair and I end up having to resort to sourcing a replacement (lets hope not). Was a decent looking one on ebay last week too, for 70 and another for 150 that looks remarkably clean - on a tight budget and i'll learn more having a go at this one, even if it's to buy a better board if ever a next time.

Did give it a brush with the clear vinegar for about 15mins, know it's not everyones preferred method but seems to help cut some of the discolouration off component legs and was immediately and thoroughly washed with warm soapy water before a cold rinse, shaken and dried. Has kinda finished off what the batteries started in way of removing some print from top of some chips. Now using IPA to wipe down board with cotton buds as components come up.

what paperwork are you after?,have you tried ipdb for manuals/schematics?

There's a couple of PDF's on the ipdb (Instruction Manual and Game Adjustment & Diagnostic Procedures) - will put hands up and say havn't yet downloaded and looked thru - was hoping to drop on original schematics and manual but will see about printing off a copy of what's available online if nothing turns up.

If I can get this thing up & running in under a year will be quite pleasantly surprised.

Back
Top Bottom