What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are these here

paddythegreek

Site Supporter
Alias
Ken
My dmd stopped working. Swapped it with a spare display and it’s fine. So why are these caps here. image.jpgimage.jpg

Ive also seen these on early WPC machines before, specifically remember it on a TAF.

These high voltage 10nF caps are there to suppress high frequency interference on top of the five DC voltages feeding the DMD.

I think they were likely added on by WMS during assembly.

My guess would be they started doing this around the time they implemented the shading the DMD graphics. Very early 90s. Those displays were never designed with this in mind. WMS very cleverly developed a 'strobing' technique to rapidly page between layers of graphics at different rates to give the appearance of a half tone.

I bet they had issues with early DMDs or with particular DMD manufacturers and this was a quick fix.

Pure speculation, but the timing is right and ive definitely seen this before on early games.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom