What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whodunnit ColorDMD

aaronhicksuk

Registered
Alias
Aaron
Just seen this announcement in my email box. I'm really looking forward to seeing some video of this as Whodunnit has some of the best animations of any WPC pinball. Sure it will make @Matt Adams very happy too!

1.png2.png3.png4.png5.png6.png

Can I ask people with experience what is the difference between the led and lcd screens? The last one I brought was for my Shadow and I don't think this choice was available then.

Can I ask people with experience what is the difference between the led and lcd screens? The last one I brought was for my Shadow and I don't think this choice was available then.
Thought you might be pleased! There is a there is ColorDMD shoot out thread on here - it has loads of info on there. LEDs are a bit like the dot matrix but in colour. You can see the individual LEDs, they have more 'pop' and look pretty retro (IMHO). The LCD screens are essentially computer screens with the ability to do more - big dots, little dots, no dots even with a smoother scrolling image rather than the normal blocky pinball look. So they essentially simulate the dots and you can even change the shape of the dots. LCD screens are also physically bigger, but normally mount OK (problems on TAF with the under screen lights though). LEDs are direct replacements size-wise.

I have them both, and prefer different ones based on the game itself. GB is great in LED, LCD great on Metallica. Your money, your choice.

From what I understand the lcd allows for different rendering modes, like smoothing (when the pixels all look connected). The led is brighter.

Thanks Martin, that's great info, looks like led is the one for me (is that what I have now in my tafg and mm brought years ago?) as to be honest I prefer the original dmd in most games. I'm a man living in the past :tut:

Thanks Martin, that's great info, looks like led is the one for me (is that what I have now in my tafg and mm brought years ago?) as to be honest I prefer the original dmd in most games. I'm a man living in the past :tut:
Can't remember your colorDMDs, but I suspect it might be, particularly in the TAFG otherwise you either have to have the THING lights replaced (custom) with SMDs or use the crappy light from the LCD to illuminate them through the speaker panel.

They'll be LCD ones in your TAFG and MM Matt, the LED ones have only been available for a year or so.

I've seen both and prefer the LCD personally, always set to DotsXL mode as the upscaling modes suck. I really liked the idea of the LED displays but the pixels are too small and you can often see the individual sub pixels. Using the Whodunnit logo in the screenshot above as an example, with an LED display you're likely to see a lot of individual red and blue sub pixels rather then a smooth purple which is kinda lame.

Last edited:
likely the ones you have are LED if you didn’t modify the light board?

I’m the sole Brit who likes the LED ones - all of my games are LED and I love the look.

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You're right it has been over 2 years already since the LED ones come out, my life will be over before I know it!

The ones Matt has are LCDs though, I've played his games and they're on Youtube:

likely the ones you have are LED if you didn’t modify the light board?

I’m the sole Brit who likes the LED ones - all of my games are LED and I love the look.

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nope - I love the LED ones too.... :D

Dude that ship has sailed, putting a NOS clear-coated playfield from the US I W?D screwed me on value, I think its the one machine I have that I wouldn't even get back half of what I have spent on it, this and possibly Stargate, stupid hobby :rofl:

Could be worse @Matt Adams ......you could be throwing money at Popeye :D:D :rolleyes:

Us unpopular / misunderstood game fans need to stand together :thumbs:

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom