What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Whitewater Full Refurb

Next it was on to one of the bigger jobs, building a new cabinet as the old one was completely knackered.
Made a good bit of progress, got everything cut out and drilled correct (far as I can tell!) so will hopefully be putting it all together this weekend.
IMG_3513.JPG

IMG_3515.JPG
IMG_3547.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3514.JPG
    IMG_3514.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 17
:clap:This is great!!! only just picked it up started at the end and got pulled in and read it backwards LOL, really interesting. amazed that your building a new cabinet wow, could you do a detailed post, what plywood are you using? what's the most difficult bits? how did you mitre the front corners etc. etc...
Would love to see how you do it, might even spur me on.:clap:

Cheers Tony, glad you're enjoying it :)
Sure thing, the plywood is 18mm 'structural ply'. One sheet just about did the two side panels, the front, back and the top bit at the back.
I've made the bottom out of moisture resistant MDF although my first attempt was about an inch too small at the top and bottom for some reason! Measure twice, cut once and all that :mad: Luckily there was more than enough left out of a sheet to make another one.
The corners are mitred at 45 degrees which isn't the same as the mitre-lock joints the original cabinets come out of the factory with. I am hoping pinning, gluing and running a bracing piece with the big leg bolt plates on the inside will be enough structurally but time will tell.
As I said this is more an experiment/challenge to see if I can do it. Worst case I'll have to shell out £500 for a new cabinet from Manny but nothing ventured, noting gained and all that! :)
The hardest parts were countersinking the button holes, routering the glass channel track in the sides and mitering the corners, the rest was pretty easy really.
I'm no expert but if you need any more info let me know!

Cheers Tony, glad you're enjoying it :)
Sure thing, the plywood is 18mm 'structural ply'. One sheet just about did the two side panels, the front, back and the top bit at the back.
I've made the bottom out of moisture resistant MDF although my first attempt was about an inch too small at the top and bottom for some reason! Measure twice, cut once and all that :mad: Luckily there was more than enough left out of a sheet to make another one.
The corners are mitred at 45 degrees which isn't the same as the mitre-lock joints the original cabinets come out of the factory with. I am hoping pinning, gluing and running a bracing piece with the big leg bolt plates on the inside will be enough structurally but time will tell.
As I said this is more an experiment/challenge to see if I can do it. Worst case I'll have to shell out £500 for a new cabinet from Manny but nothing ventured, noting gained and all that! :)
The hardest parts were countersinking the button holes, routering the glass channel track in the sides and mitering the corners, the rest was pretty easy really.
I'm no expert but if you need any more info let me know!
So what will this cost you compared to Manny if successful ? @Jsyjay

Cheers Kev

Good question Kev and still a big IF!

Materials probably will have cost circa £60-70.

My labour is free but reckon it will take me another 3-4 hours to put together plus the 5-6 hours already so say 10 hours worst case.

As this was my first time doing it obviously its taken a lot longer compared to making another one in the future.

I reckon a decent chippy could do it in a day (8 hours).

That's a great idea, I'm sure there would be a few takers on here for that, how many different sizes are there? Obviously there's the wide body and standard Williams but are there differences in other makes? I.e Sega DE stern?

Be nice if someone could do a flat pack kit with all the bits cnc cut?
That's half the idea.
A fully assembled cab or for the more hands on pinball restores a kit from. All CNC cut in a flat pack kit form.

That's half the idea.
A fully assembled cab or for the more hands on pinball restores a kit from. All CNC cut in a flat pack kit form.

That's the way to go, I'm sure they will fly out the door, hope it works out

Ronnie

So progress has been slow the last couple of weeks due to my stag do in Vegas and subsequent recovery time!
Managed to get a couple of hours in the PHOF before my mates dragged me out, most of the games were in reasonable condition and set to 5 balls so getting replays was pretty easy.
Got a fair bit of time on the pins in the NY NY Arcade next to the roller coaster as we were staying in the Monte Carlo nearby, all were Stern Pros.
Fav of the ones I'd never played before was Walking Dead, wasn't really interested in it before but loved it, the right ramp shot is so smooth! Also GOT Pro was good fun but a bit too easy, managed to get 750M on my first go!
All the pins in NY NY were in top condition and the tech guy was there cleaning and tweaking them a few times I was there.

Anyway, seeing all of those beautiful pins has upped my motivation to get this one done!
The cabinet is still a work in progress but all the sides and bottom have been glued and pinned together using my new air pin gun which makes life so much easier.
IMG_3535.JPG
IMG_3612.JPG
IMG_3613.JPG
IMG_3614.JPG
Lots of filling and sanding to come!

Attachments

• IMG_3611.JPG
    IMG_3611.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 9
So back to the playfield and removing and cleaning all of the lampboards.
Fair to say the subway was minging!
IMG_3695.JPG
Whirlpool lampboard before & after a bath
IMG_3699.JPG
IMG_3701.JPG
Again, minging!
IMG_3715.JPG

Noticed something a bit worrying when I removed the opto switch board.
IMG_3570.JPG
IMG_3571.JPG
Luckily the man in Bulgaria @arakissun sent me a used one at a reasonable price so crisis averted!

Next removing and cleaning/rebuilding all of the playfield mechanisms.
I had read on a few logs that the pop bumpers are a pig of a job but I didn't realise how much!
All pretty standard stuff, few pictures below.
IMG_3639.JPG IMG_3687.JPG IMG_3718.JPG IMG_3719.JPG IMG_3720.JPG
IMG_3829.JPG
IMG_3830.JPG

So with everything removed I could finally get on to cleaning and prepping the payfield for clearcoat.
Quick before and after a quick clean up.
That's where I'm up to! :thumbs:
IMG_3892.JPG IMG_3893.JPG

Back
Top Bottom