What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whirlwind Shop Log

ronsplooter

Site Supporter
Alias
Chris
Now that I've finished my JD shop out I thought I'd move straight onto looking at Whirlwind
smile-1.png
I already had a few bits and pieces I need to shop it out and am in the process of acquiring some others. I found doing a shop log was quite good for motivating me to crack on with JD so I'm going to do the same for WW. New stuff thats going on includes:

• Spinning disc decals
  • Slingshot plastics
  • Skillshot plastic
  • Full plastic protector set
  • Rubbers, balls etc

I'm still missing a replacement plastic for the thin one on the right hand side of the up/down ramp....if anyone has one spare, please let me know :)There are also a few mechanical/electronic gremlins that need sorting:

• Fan topper has stopped spinning
  • Spinning discs are slipping (got some new screws that should sort this out)
  • Skyway toll lamps don't all work
  • I think the coil that keeps the ramp up has a short as it drops down for no reason sometimes

If anyone has any suggestions on where to start with any of the above it would be much appreciated. I'm hoping to get it all done and maybe bring it to the Slam although this will depend on whether I can sort some transport out (I've contacted Will to see if he can help).

Cheers

Chris

Some pics of WW in it's current state. First, before I started breaking it down.....

[attachment=425:p1010385.JPG]

[attachment=426:p1010387.JPG]

The next pic is of the plastic I still need a replacement for, any leads are appreciated.....

[attachment=427:p1010419.JPG]

Everything is stripped down and ready for cleaning. Overall not too dirty, just some spots where the grime has collected. Some of the metal parts are going to need quite a lot of sanding/polishing and getting the old stickers off the spinning discs is going to be interesting
smile-1.png
Not sure whether I should have a go at removing the mylar on this one. Has anyone done this on a System 11 pin before and how did it go.....I've heard horror stories :eek:

Some pics of the pf ready for cleaning......

[attachment=433:p1010490.JPG]

[attachment=434:p1010489.JPG]

[attachment=435:p1010491.JPG]

[attachment=436:p1010492.JPG]

Leave the mylar on, your 1st removal is always your worst and doing it on a non cleared pin will equal insert carnage! As for the metal re-graining, it's a lot quicker to use scothbrite & sandpaper flapwheels attached to a drill and you will get awesome results.

Hmmm I'm watching with interest as I'm picking up a ww next month that prob needs work,so waiting to see the end result I've got an earthshaker that has Mylar on it ,it has lifted in places but I left it on because as nick has pointed out it may totally destroy the inserts and even lift off the paint in places,system 11 playfields were never great that's why Mylar was put on em
smile-1.png

I'd give it a good clean and polish and shine up the metal parts it'll play and look fine, just removed the Mylar from B.O.P and it left glue in places only removed Mylar coz it had been put on when payfield was dirty and already worn so it came off with no insert damage:) but will prob replace pf later.

I'm working my way through cleaning the plastics but I also want to clean the pcb that sits behind the lightning strike plastic. What's the best/safest way to clean a pcb?

Also I'm on the hunt for the last few parts I need to make WW complete. I'm still after the thin plastic pictured further up this post if anyone has one for sale. I'm also after the below....

[attachment=451:p1010514.JPG]

It's the plastic locking nut for the spinning discs, I've got 2 but I'm missing the 3rd. If anyone has got a spare then please give me a shout.

Finally, I'm going to start tackling the decal replacement on the spinning discs soon so am after any tips people have for doing this. Nick, I remember you saying you did this before and it was a bit of a mare so if you've got any advice it would be gratefully received mate.

That locking nut looks identical to one from the spinning lamp on Totan.

Nice one Rus, your a legend
biggrin-1.png
I couldn't find it anywhere for WW but Marco have it for TOTAN. Just need to check if anyone UK based has the TOTAN part as I don't fancy paying the shipping on a $3 part.

Soaking them in a citrus solution should help remove the stickiness.

Cheers Nick, I'll get some ordered. I was going to try the mylar freeze spray method to get the decals off in the first place.

Any advice on the best way to clean a pcb. Can I use warm soapy water and a sponge on it as long as I dry it properly afterwards or will this knacker it?

I spray my pcb's with novus 1 and then clean with a paint brush, wipe it off then give it a good blast with the air line to get any moisture out.

If you don't have a compressor and air line you could probably use an air duster.

Ads

I've managed to find the last plastic and the locking nut I need (although it's looking like I'll have to get it from Marco in the US so the postage is going to be on the steep side :eek:). The cleaning continues but I've been through most of the bits I took off. Just got the 2 ramps to clean up and then spend some more time on the pf.

Has anyone played a Whirlwind with cliffy's fitted? Im not sure whether I want to fit them to mine if it changes the feel of the scoop shots. There's a bit of wear around the 2 scoops but not loads so looking for opinions on what, if any, difference the cliffy's make?

Had a bit of a result with the spinning disc decals. I managed to get the old ones off and platters clean really easily using a scalpel blade and warm soapy water
biggrin-1.png
I'll put a before and after pic up once I've fitted the new decals.

The new spinning disc decals are fitted and are looking great. Can't wait to get them back in the pin.

Before:

[attachment=462:p1010516.JPG]

After:

[attachment=463:p1010540.JPG]

All parts are now cleaned and ready for refitting. I'm just spending some time trying to get the pf as clean as I can. The mylar has a build up of crap round the edges which is taking ages to get rid of. I picked up a magic eraser the other day and tbh it doesn't seem as good as I was expecting. Perhaps some of the ball swirls have been there so long that even that can't get them fully shifted. I've got all the replacement plastics now so the only thing missing is that damm locking nut. Marco still have them in stock but I p*ssed myself laughing at their shipping costs.....part is $2.75, they wanted shipping of £20 :eek: Are they having a f*cking laugh! I think it might be a waiting game for this
smile-1.png

Those spinning discs are looking awesome! Good luck with the rest of the restore.

ronsplooter' date=' post: 1690319 said:
I've managed to find the last plastic and the locking nut I need (although it's looking like I'll have to get it from Marco in the US so the postage is going to be on the steep side :eek:). The cleaning continues but I've been through most of the bits I took off. Just got the 2 ramps to clean up and then spend some more time on the pf.

Has anyone played a Whirlwind with cliffy's fitted? Im not sure whether I want to fit them to mine if it changes the feel of the scoop shots. There's a bit of wear around the 2 scoops but not loads so looking for opinions on what, if any, difference the cliffy's make?

Had a bit of a result with the spinning disc decals. I managed to get the old ones off and platters clean really easily using a scalpel blade and warm soapy water
biggrin-1.png
I'll put a before and after pic up once I've fitted the new decals.

1. Plastic nut - post on RGP, someone must have one? If not, Andy Netherwood will normally get the part from Marco for you on the basis of $1 = £1 (it may have changed). I imagine it would cost at worst £5 for him to get it for you and then pick up form slam?

2. Cliffy's for me are a last resort to cover nasty wear, they alter play significantly and make scoop shots much harder

3. Spinning discs look awesome
smile-1.png

Cheers Nick,

I've had a word with The Legend and he's going to have a root round his parts bin and see what he can find. I'm going to take your advice and not bother with the Cliffy's. I don't think the wear is that bad and I might have a go at doing a repair with some of that wood epoxy. Does anyone know where to get it from in the UK, my brief net search only showed US suppliers.

The pf is cleaned and waxed now so I just need to start putting it all back together. Still waiting for the last couple of plastics to turn up but she'll be done soon
smile-1.png

Wood epoxy is available all over Ebay, and aint that expensive.... You can even pick it up at your local B&Q now.... Buy the stick stuff though that you kneed together. Oh and some latex gloves as they all recommend you use them!!

Paul' date=' post: 1690601 said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320829578245

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170714927845

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180510652206

Any of these should do the job - just ebay search for "epoxy stick -stickers" - without the quotes. If it's for the cab you can use any colour - if for the PF then it's the same stuff, just search out the wood coloured
smile-1.png

I personally have found that stuff to be fairly crap. You can put it in ok around a scoop and fashion it nicely, but as soon as it starts to get hit by balls, it just falls apart. I've yet to find anything half as good as the guys in the US use - theirs liquid wood (I think that's one o fthe brand names) seems to be fantastic stuff

Cheers guys, I'm going to get WW back together for now and save the scoop rebuild for later (after the Slam if I can sort some transport to get it down there). I'm guessing you can't have something like liquid wood sent through the post from the US?

mufcmufc' date=' post: 1690607 said:
I personally have found that stuff to be fairly crap. You can put it in ok around a scoop and fashion it nicely, but as soon as it starts to get hit by balls, it just falls apart. I've yet to find anything half as good as the guys in the US use - theirs liquid wood (I think that's one o fthe brand names) seems to be fantastic stuff

Oik - i just used mine for Cab work and it was like filling it with sandable rock!!!

Reassembly is going well but I've hit a snag with that last few bits. I need to unrivet the skillshot sign from the broken blue plastic it sits on. First problem is how to remove the old rivets. I tried to drill them out but I don't think my drill is fast enough. Anyone got any tips on removing rivets?

And once that's done I need to re-rivet to the new plastic. I got some pressless rivets with the Pinbits protector kit but not sure how they work and there were no instructions. Anyone used these before and got some advice?

ronsplooter' date=' post: 1690778 said:
Reassembly is going well but I've hit a snag with that last few bits. I need to unrivet the skillshot sign from the broken blue plastic it sits on. First problem is how to remove the old rivets. I tried to drill them out but I don't think my drill is fast enough. Anyone got any tips on removing rivets?

And once that's done I need to re-rivet to the new plastic. I got some pressless rivets with the Pinbits protector kit but not sure how they work and there were no instructions. Anyone used these before and got some advice?

You CAN drill the rivets out but you will generally melt the plastic unless you stop periodically and dip in cold water (plastic and drill tip), but then you run the risk of the plastic being brittle and snapping. The best method I found was to use a dremel cutting bit to shave the lip off, if you don't have a rotary tool then you can use a hacksaw to cut a + into the back of the rivet and then push in the lip with a flat blade screwdriver.

As for using the Pinbits kit, it's a bit fiddly and if you can't get the hang of it, there are (normally) a pair of split washers in there which grip very well and are simple to install.

Instructions here: http://www.iobium.com/rivet_clips__riveting_without_a.htm

The best method I found was to use a dremel cutting bit to shave the lip off

Quality bit of advice this. Did it last night and worked perfectly. Just need to rivet the new plastics now. I should have her finished this weekend so I'll post some pics up. I put the spinning disc assembly back in the pf last night and it looks awesome with the new decals
smile-1.png

It's done
biggrin-1.png
I've got a few insert bulbs to replace, a switch to adjust and the Skyway Toll lamps still aren't working so I need to have a look at the board they're on but all of the cleaning, waxing and rebuilding is finished. Thanks to everyone for the advice as I've gone along. I've got a new problem now....both pins are shopped, I don't have another one to work on and no space to add a third, what am I going to do :eek: Some pics of the results.....

[attachment=492:p1010688.JPG]

[attachment=493:p1010691.JPG]

[attachment=494:p1010698.JPG]

[attachment=495:p1010701.JPG]

[attachment=496:p1010703.JPG]

Looking very nice indeed! I might do a full shop of my pin in the future, which I wouldn't have considered before looking as these quality logs. Need to get in some serious playtime first :)

Thumbs up buddy!

Looks stunning, can't believe how good that Mylar looks
smile-1.png

One day I will have a WW in my collection
wink-1.png

Back
Top Bottom