What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which desoldering station?

newdos

Site Supporter
Alias
Newdos
Looking for a desoldering station but not sure what to buy. I am looking at this one and it seems to get good reviews. Would appreciate any input and also what some of you guys use on here.

TIA

Kev

1540808532008.png

Unless you are doing smd work the one in the link is great combined with a decent iron

I have the Japan sucker in the link. It was great to start with but now the nozzle blocks on nearly every click.

Probably not what you're after but I thought it worth mentioning anyway incase it helps anyone out.

For the odd awkward desoldering job (IC chip or any compentent with multiple legs) I've had great success with 'Chip Quik'.

https://cpc.farnell.com/chip-quik/smd1/smd-1-smd-removal-kit/dp/SD00632?st=chup quik

It mixes with the original solder and lowers the melting point, allowing you to easily remove components with a normal iron on a low heat.

I've used it for SMD chips in games consoles, just last week I used it to remove a volume control pot from an audio circuit.

It has saved my bacon a number of times and I've had no issues with contamination when the replacement component is installed. I gather some people don't like it as it could potentially weaken the replacement solder joints if not properly cleaned up.

For me anyway, as I don't do a lot of desoldering, it's cheaper than buying a dedicated station.

Looking for a desoldering station but not sure what to buy. I am looking at this one and it seems to get good reviews. Would appreciate any input and also what some of you guys use on here.

TIA

Kev

View attachment 73716

yeah good bit of kit. think I got mine for about £50 a few years back...

they do sales every now and then, possibly hold on until black friday if in no major rush (3 weeks away)

I need a new one mine decided to stop heating for some reason. Luckily I don't no much desoldering at the mo so a sucker will have to tide me over

Well I bought the one above in the pic and done the first repair on a wpc95 CPU board. A joy to use changed a 14 pin edge connector with ease. the white one as I could not source the orange ones.

Cheers

Kev

IMG_4249[1].JPG
IMG_4248[1].JPG

Yeah I noticed that on these pics - didnt have my magnifier handy !!!! quick fix though

I wondered who would spot it first !!!!

Cheers

kev

Just be careful when de-soldering components as its easy to break tracks with the nozzle particularly if the legs are bent over

Always trim the legs if they are bent over.

The biggest problem IMO is with Through holes...

So a lot of these B/W boards connect top to bottom via the Holes through the board that the connectors go through... so have Tracks on both sides. you have to be VERY careful when removing any connectors, since you can easilly destroy the through hole plating...

The biggest problem IMO is with Through holes...

So a lot of these B/W boards connect top to bottom via the Holes through the board that the connectors go through... so have Tracks on both sides. you have to be VERY careful when removing any connectors, since you can easilly destroy the through hole plating...
Yeah aware of that paul - which is why when I resolder I always flow a good bit of solder in as well(except pin9 which has now been re done !!)

The best method is to cut legs off first.
Heat the pad and pull off leg with tweezers.
Use solder braid to remove solder.
Clean with alchohol and bud.

You can also use the knock technique .
After taking legs out.
Heat the pad and knock the pcb and the solder will drop out of the hole.

Back
Top Bottom