What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When life hands you a second chance

Lickashot

Site Supporter
I wanted to share this story of what happened to myself today and how the lives of many people could have been changed forever. I was due to work at the Newark showground today, I was staying in a different hotel to my friend (the company booked it) so I went to pick him up. When I got there I realised I had left a hanger with a couple of items of clothing at my hotel so I had to go back. I took the incorrect exit at the roundabout but to my joy there was a lay by which I could pull into meaning I could go back on myself. Turning out of a lay by and going back on yourself is an illegal manoeuvre of which I am fully aware. I looked to my left and felt I had plenty of time to get out, as I pulled out my friend just shouted "NO" twice. For whatever reason I didn't check the traffic coming from the right. BANG, the impact was scary, all the glass in the door window shattered and everything went black for a couple of seconds. I looked out of the window and down to my right and saw a motorbike upside down. This is when the adrenaline really set in at the thought of what I had done, I was unable to open my door so my friend jumps out and I climbed over and got out too. Then time just seemed to slow down, my fear being I'll be looking down at a lifeless figure and never being able to forgive myself for taking someone's life and causing never ending suffering for all of the victims family and friends. The biker throws a bunch of excusable expletives my way and then just gets to his feet and dusts himself off. I apologise profusely and my friend calls an ambulance, a few witnesses come over and tell him to sit down, one of them has previous experience in dealing with this sort of trauma. Once the ambulance has been and done their checks on him it seems he just has a slightly sore shoulder. Apparently the biker was going at around 55mph, a member of the ambulance crew says to me they have seen less serious impacts resulting in fatalities. The biker is so lucky as he had all his protective gear on, some bikers on a sunny day ride in jeans and a tshirt. I cannot apologise enough to the biker and deserve any punishment that is coming my way. What happened today will stay with him forever and I just hope he can carry on living his life to the full and not be affected too much by my selfish and wreckless actions.

is it really an illegal move?

I wouldn't get so down on yourself. It was an accident. it happens.

a friend of mine was involved in an accident where someone died, they basically walked out in front of him and he couldn't stop, video/witness proved it wasn't his fault but he still blamed himself. Drunk himself to death.

a friend of mine was involved in an accident where someone died, they basically walked out in front of him and he couldn't stop, video/witness proved it wasn't his fault but he still blamed himself. Drunk himself to death.
That is tragic, I understand what you are saying Neil in regards to not beating myself up but ultimately a sense of guilt is a natural reaction. Just extremely grateful everyone is alright.

I wanted to share this story of what happened to myself today and how the lives of many people could have been changed forever. I was due to work at the Newark showground today, I was staying in a different hotel to my friend (the company booked it) so I went to pick him up. When I got there I realised I had left a hanger with a couple of items of clothing at my hotel so I had to go back. I took the incorrect exit at the roundabout but to my joy there was a lay by which I could pull into meaning I could go back on myself. Turning out of a lay by and going back on yourself is an illegal manoeuvre of which I am fully aware. I looked to my left and felt I had plenty of time to get out, as I pulled out my friend just shouted "NO" twice. For whatever reason I didn't check the traffic coming from the right. BANG, the impact was scary, all the glass in the door window shattered and everything went black for a couple of seconds. I looked out of the window and down to my right and saw a motorbike upside down. This is when the adrenaline really set in at the thought of what I had done, I was unable to open my door so my friend jumps out and I climbed over and got out too. Then time just seemed to slow down, my fear being I'll be looking down at a lifeless figure and never being able to forgive myself for taking someone's life and causing never ending suffering for all of the victims family and friends. The biker throws a bunch of excusable expletives my way and then just gets to his feet and dusts himself off. I apologise profusely and my friend calls an ambulance, a few witnesses come over and tell him to sit down, one of them has previous experience in dealing with this sort of trauma. Once the ambulance has been and done their checks on him it seems he just has a slightly sore shoulder. Apparently the biker was going at around 55mph, a member of the ambulance crew says to me they have seen less serious impacts resulting in fatalities. The biker is so lucky as he had all his protective gear on, some bikers on a sunny day ride in jeans and a tshirt. I cannot apologise enough to the biker and deserve any punishment that is coming my way. What happened today will stay with him forever and I just hope he can carry on living his life to the full and not be affected too much by my selfish and wreckless actions.
A horrible day, glad he was OK. Glad you're OK. Chalk it up to bad judgement and never do it again. We can all suffer brain fade sometimes it sounds like it could have been a lot worse.

Don't beat yourself up about it. Think once, think twice, think bike. (That was a safety campaign from the olden days. Governments don't think we need them anymore)

Just be thankful that all parties involved are not hurt. I've been in two accidents one where I wasn't at fault and one where I was.

It happens as others say learn from the experience and don't beat yourself up too much.

Scott

I'd hazard a guess this wouldn't have happened if you were:
1 - On your own, less detracted
2- Didn't feel so hurried after making your mistake by missing you're turn

55mph head on impact ? Wow the biker must have done a Colt Seavers right over you're motor without making contact with any metal.

I have fellow biker mates that have serious injures coming off at less than 30mph and hitting stuff.

Its the sudden stop that kills you.

You are remorseful.
It was an accident
Thankfully no real damage done
Chalk it up and move on, but damn. this could have ended up being a tragedy for all involved.
Thanks for sharing.

As an ex-biker all I can say is please look twice. Three times even. All bikers know the risks they take. It's not a matter of if, but when. I gave it up when I had kids. I know someone who's dad didn't. Everyone makes choices. Whether that's the choice to look more carefully or the choice to get on the bike. And everyone has to live with those choices. So slow it down and think more.

I ride and have lost friends to avoidable accidents. The key is to stop and think what could have prevented this and so I appreciate you sharing this and hope it encourages others.
And we do all make mistakes. The collision is usually at the end of a series of events thst lead us to the outcome. The best lessons to learn are the ones where we can make a decision early, before we have a shot of adrenaline to cloud our judgement.

Thanks for sharing that story. A good reminder for everyone. I suspect we’ve all had some fortunate escapes from something that could have been fatal. I’m 71 now and drive decidedly slower now, to the annoyance of my wife.
40 years ago I rear-ended the car in front. I was too fast and too close. Woman driving got out and seemed OK but her dad in the back climbed out and couldn’t walk straight, looked seriously dazed and had lost the power of speech. ‘I’ll run and call an ambulance for him’ I said. ‘no don’t worry’ she said ‘ that what he’s always like. ‘

Firstly, I'm glad that all involved are ok.

Secondly, as has been said, try not to beat yourself up about it. It has happened, fortunately the outcome was a lot better for all concerned than it could have been, so try to move on. This is sometimes harder than it might seem, as it's a shocking experience.

Although not in an actual collision, a while ago my wife and I were in the car and VERY narrowly (by what I estimate at less than 1 metre) avoided a head-on collision at a closing speed of around 100mph with another car. It was entirely the other driver's error (he pulled out to overtake cars on his side of the road and ended up coming straight towards us), but who's fault it was would have been kind of irrelevant had the collision happened. Regardless, it was a very shocking experience and took some time to get over it and stop replaying it over in my head. It took my wife longer.

Whilst you say that you didn't check to the right, so it's your fault, it reminded me of another close call I once had where, I pulled out onto a roundabout without seeing an approaching cyclist already coming round the roundabout. He didn't hit me fortunately, but what really shook me up is that I did look to the right to check it was clear, but just didn't see him. This was in the middle of a sunny day with good visibility, and I genuinely had no idea why I didn't see him. I've done a good bit of cycling and when driving am very aware of cyclists/bikers. My eyesight is also ok wearing glasses (which I was doing).

A short while later reading a motoring forum, someone described a very similar incident (near miss) - they were an advanced driver and thought they were careful with observation, but couldn't understand how they didn't see an approaching motorbike. Someone else posted a link to an extremely interesting article written by a fighter pilot about how the human eyes/brain sees things, and sometimes importantly, doesn't! They also go on to explain some techniques to minimise the chances of "not seeing" an approaching potential collision. Apologies for the long post, but I'd highly recommend anyone reading this to thoroughly read the above linked article, as it's both interesting, and may prevent a future collision.

It's the difference between glancing and looking. My kids look left and right because they have been told to do it, but they aren't really looking. They're not looking for movement and potential closing speed, they're just turning their heads. Ticking boxes. Glancing. As a biker you're taught not to trust anyone waiting at a junction unless they've made eye contact. That's fundamental to living longer.

You are remorseful.
It was an accident
Thankfully no real damage done
Chalk it up and move on, but damn. this could have ended up being a tragedy for all involved.
Thanks for sharing.

👆👆👆

What he said.

Fair play to you Glen. You give a sh1t because you're a good bloke. I'm sure it's perfectly normal to reflect on these things but you both live to fight another day.

Sorry to hear that Glen. traumatising for all involved. I wouldn't beat yourself up over it too much, it could happen to any of us. Glad the guy is okay.

Appreciate all the support from the community, these incidents affect people differently. I've just got back on the horse as they say and have carried on like nothing has happened, I've dealt with horrendous tragedy in my life so these things just make me mentally stronger. I'm not saying I'm "special" or that this didn't affect me but I've been able to carry on regardless which I feel is a blessing.

Something to watch out for us bikers:
Cars drivers find it difficult to judge speed of an oncoming motorcycle, from a distance the single headlight is more difficult for the brain to gauge.
Ever wonder why a car just pulls out when the car driver appears to see you?
When a motorcycle hits imperfections in the road, the front forks compress and rebound and it appears like your front lights flash. Naturally the car driver thinks you’ve flashed him out from a junction.
You then go ape sh1t at the driver … 😂

Appreciate all the support from the community, these incidents affect people differently. I've just got back on the horse as they say and have carried on like nothing has happened, I've dealt with horrendous tragedy in my life so these things just make me mentally stronger. I'm not saying I'm "special" or that this didn't affect me but I've been able to carry on regardless which I feel is a blessing.
There is nothing else for it but to somehow get on with life. i was involved in a fatal accident when i was younger and was shocked by the whole thing and the waiting to see if charges were to be brought against me scared the **** out of me. Took many months before it was decided none would be brought. No blame was attached to me despite having knocked someone down and killing him but you do think could i have done something more to have slowed down a bit or was it just someone who stumbled on to the road as he had too much too drink as it was shown ? I was never sure about that and it is history now and not something i think about too much anymore. As you say everyone is different and things affect you differently so there is simply no point in dwelling on things too much. Life is indeed too short for that. Easier said than done i know but you just have to move on.

Back
Top Bottom