What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats the best way to clean an older style playfield?

Matt Vince

Site Supporter
OK, I was recommended to use Isopropyl Alcohol, but my chemist either can't get it, or thinks i want to drink it!!!

The playfield is Eightball deluxe, it just looks dirty and i'm tempted to go in with Novus 2, anyone have any experience i can call on?

Nope, DON'T use isopropyl alcohol by itself. You can use Novus2 or just use plain Mr Sheen (which is also great for cleaning white rubbers). Wax it afterwards with your favourite wax. Car wax or even pledge do a good enough job.

Matt - I would say just go a bit easy with the older playfields. Without the modern era 'diamond plate' style coating there is not as much to protect the paint, its easy to rub too hard and actually start removing artwork ... especially on worn/high traffic areas :eek:

The Magic Eraser style blocks are recommended by some folk but again go easy.

If its the 'ball swirls' that are making it appear dirty then there is really a limit to how much you can clean them up. After a point you just have to live with them - unless you want to go down the sanding/repainting road.

I am with Phil on this one , Mr Sheen is fine for older playfields and pretty much the safest option.
biggrin-1.png

Even Novus can damage a older playfield , More than likley it won't but better safe that sorry. All together now let's sing along. " Mr Sheen cleans umpteen things clean" :cool:

I once cleaned my Lotus with Mr Sheen when I didn't have anything else
biggrin-1.png
Honestly, it works on any era game.

I have today stripped the topside of the playfield and was pleased to see how much was covered by mylar. I used Novus 2 and these areas have come up a real treat. The areas without mylar are still a lot darker! wish me luck tomorrow when i try the painted areas with the eraser. Under a lot of the posts, there are worn rings and in one area of the visable playfield there is some cracking and small worn patch. What is the best solution? should i just go easy then wax? or remove the flakey parts and attempt re-colouring then use mylar sheet, i'm no great shakes at art.

This is probably going to cause howls of protest, but I have used T-cut on most of my playfields over the last 30 years and am very pleased with the results.

Whilst I realise I am removing a thin layer of paint, it leaves an incredibly smooth surface which is far less likely to generate ball wear in the future, and I figure that if it is a one off exercise and I keep the playfields clean and well waxed afterwards it will not have any significant detrimental effect (if any) on the life of the playfields.

Obviously I am very careful around the edges of any wear patches and would not use it on flaky areas.

Flame jacket donned!

ps on a couple of my diamond plate machines (not T-cutted!) I have got a dimpled orange peel effect to the playfield surface from ball impacts - anyone any tips on how to deal with that?

David Dutton' date=' post: 1676401 said:
ps on a couple of my diamond plate machines (not T-cutted!) I have got a dimpled orange peel effect to the playfield surface from ball impacts - anyone any tips on how to deal with that?

If this was just ordinary umpainted wood or unpainted plywood you can raise the odd dent with water - hot water is better, or I have used a steam iron too. ( the water makes the compressed fibres expan) care is needed so that the uncompressed fibres don't expand too much) - dry and re-apply. - But I would not recommend it on a painted surface or playfield

Anyone got any ideas for how to deal with dents on a playfield ?

thanks, John

I find when cleaning up an EM.. best bet is taking photos before, during & after.

Remove EVERYTHING from the play field. Keep a note of the parts too.

We find using a Ultra Sonic cleaner to be a great bit of kit for cleaning parts with.. Just try & ignore the high pitched sound.

I'm in the middle of cleaning up a High Hand.

Is it mylared?

If not about the only time I would use IPA is with mega ground in dirt/swirls on a pf.I would use the IPA with a magic eraser.Must emphasise I would only do this on mega ground in dirt that will not get removed by novus 2 or similar(novus 1 for minor cleaning).Also used autoglym engine degreaser on newly bought dirty modern games for the playfield and cab-works a treat.Some would say millwax but being as a fair few people have had bottles explodong wouldn't recommend it!

Back
Top Bottom