What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What cleaner and wax

mission65

Site Supporter
Alias
Tony Molloy
OK having read a bit on the site about cleaning and waxing, i would like to know what brands people use and where they get it,
so if you use window cleaner to clean the playfield , what brand of window cleaner and where is best to get it ?

if you want to do it properly there is a whole rake of 'gear' that you need.
the treasure cove kit takes off some of the clearcoat,so i would only use it once on any machine.
this is the process I use. for the playfield. ramps are different ball of fish.
cleaning
isopropanol alcohol to clean, best source a chemist shop.
novus 2, 2 to 3 applications until no more dirt is lifted, ie clean cloths after wipe down. pinball heaven.
after cleaning sealing is most important,

autoglym super resin polish. this stuff adds shine and will fill imperfections in the cc, work it into the p/f and let it dry polish out with cloth.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autoglym-Super-Resin-Polish-325ml-C
heapest-on-eBay-/310717590823?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item4858362d27

seal the sealant with this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autoglym-...ssories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item3cc56a176a
again 1 or 2 coats.

on to waxing
2 or 3 coats of a good liquid wax first
meguiars is what I use at the moment (do not buy the cleaner wax)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meguiars-...ssories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item5af3053067
apply with a micro fibre cloth, 2-3 coats let it dry for 20 minutes before removal .
and then a paste wax

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meguiars-...ssories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item25809d8c0a
again atleast 2 coats and let it dry before removal. I use a 'sponge' applicator. always remove with a clean lint free cloth for best results.

yes, the process is long winded and some might say over the top, but if you do it properly it gives a mirror finish that you can see your face in that last for years. you will still get 'ball swirls' but these are removed by a simple wipe over, it's all about layers of protection, I will just add with this method I have won best in show 4 times at the big pinball do jab.
stan

Thanks for replys, Stan would you start with the isop if the plying field was grimy, I.e left for a couple of years ?

only if it's clearcoated. if not treat an area that is un-seen, under a plastic. to see if it lifts any paint.

Last edited:
Tons of options and even more opinions. I use Novus 1 & 2 plus Gerlitz guitar wax as mentioned above for the playfield. I also use 'Brasso' for the wireforms etc.

For some areas with caked in dirt that just won't go by any means, and you have to start thinking about removing a layer of paint - I've found success in the most unlikely of sources...

...window cleaner fluid, and a Magic Eraser.

It lifts paint but at such a slow, controlled pace that I'm no longer having to repaint my F14 playfield to restore colour match between mylar-protected areas and never-protected areas. Photo incoming soon as proof...

Cheap as chips and searingly effective - but of course as you're removing paint, you should only do this if you have a plan for protective layer afterwards - whether just regular waxing regime, a clearcoat job, mylar or a plastic playfield protector

(Note: this is very similar to what the first part of the treasure cove kit would be doing - an abrasive step that removes a top layer of clear coat or paint before polishing down.)

Last edited:
Tons of options and even more opinions. I use Novus 1 & 2 plus Gerlitz guitar wax as mentioned above for the playfield. I also use 'Brasso' for the wireforms etc.

Seconded here. I also use this to shift grime and clean the glass uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170421_63452cc230b380cc85276e5d9681126e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom