What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WCS flippers too strong

M4carp

Site Supporter
Alias
Lostcause
Going on from my TZ flippers being to weak, after borrowing the fliptronic board from this I decided to meter the coils.
Ball flying off ramps etc, one flipper coil was the next strength down. Anyway coil voltage at idle is 98v and 52v under load/flipped.
Is 98v too high, I guess so. Haven’t metered anything else yet.

I wonder if your main transformer is tapped to 220v. Can you measure how much you have coming out of your mains sockets in AC? Be careful.

In the UK it is set to 230v AC plus or minus 10%

Some areas have higher power - at work we get 254v on average and here at home I get 245v

If your transformer is tapped for 220v or lower and your mains input is say 255v you could be getting higher volrages.

The 12v and 5v taps are regulated thru componets - everything else is just rectified and then runs thru smoothing caps.

Measure the unregulated 12v, and the GI voltages off the transformer.

Did the machine come from Europe (check sticker inside or on the back!)

I wonder if your main transformer is tapped to 220v. Can you measure how much you have coming out of your mains sockets in AC? Be careful.

In the UK it is set to 230v AC plus or minus 10%

Some areas have higher power - at work we get 254v on average and here at home I get 245v

If your transformer is tapped for 220v or lower and your mains input is say 255v you could be getting higher volrages.

The 12v and 5v taps are regulated thru componets - everything else is just rectified and then runs thru smoothing caps.

Measure the unregulated 12v, and the GI voltages off the transformer.

Did the machine come from Europe (check sticker inside or on the back!)
Funnily enough just been looking at the jumper, put one in from another that is set to 240v and I was getting 88v at the coil but my up kickers were struggling more than usual and the humming was gone from the transformer. Mains here about 233v but think I better check again.

Cant find out what this one is but guessing 220v?
image.jpg

Managed to rearrange the molex to 240v with the aid of staples😁
Wrong coil in goal up kicker, needs the strongest coil.
Ordered a load of bits for this and TZ, annoying that people bodge things up.

Oh and its a German machine with 230v label but I got it from Scotland.

What version of TZ code are you using?

I can remember that TZ has a 'low line' setting in one of the menus in certain versions. Make sure this is set to OFF.

What version of TZ code are you using?

I can remember that TZ has a 'low line' setting in one of the menus in certain versions. Make sure this is set to OFF.
9.4h I think, I will have look at the settings. Didn’t know that. Thanks.

Well, Changed coils for correct power and still too weak. All voltages correct. Checked and changed fuses for correct rating for solenoids, still weak. Checked all connections on off etc still no good. Last resort was to put a nice spare power board in and I had a funny feeling this was the issue.
Fitted and all solenoids came to life and playing as it should.
So someone put the transformer jumper to lower voltage to get it to just about work, nice.
Transformer was really humming when I got it, oh well I can relax again.

So someone put the transformer jumper to lower voltage to get it to just about work, nice.
Transformer was really humming when I got it, oh well I can relax again.
What does that mean exactly?

My TZ transformer is quite noisy too, so curious.

What does that mean exactly?

My TZ transformer is quite noisy too, so curious.
Too much voltage going into the transformer, which makes the power driver board put out more. Why my flippers and solenoids were stronger than they would have been as it was set to 220v.
The transformer hummed quite loud, as soon as I corrected the jumper virtually silent.
There is a setting also for low line in the TZ settings, should be off. Unless your supply voltage is low but shouldn’t be.

Too much voltage going into the transformer, which makes the power driver board put out more. Why my flippers and solenoids were stronger than they would have been as it was set to 220v.
The transformer hummed quite loud, as soon as I corrected the jumper virtually silent.
There is a setting also for low line in the TZ settings, should be off. Unless your supply voltage is low but shouldn’t be.
Ah yes, very sorry as I should’ve ready more of the thread!

Will definitely be checking my little plug on Monday!

Looks ok

Attachments

• F97BCE5C-FCAC-4932-8027-E0B2A17094AA.jpeg
    F97BCE5C-FCAC-4932-8027-E0B2A17094AA.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 6
What V you got coming in?? Uk is 230V -6% +10% (i.e. 216.2 V – 253.0 V) !!!

Yeah, mine was 241v the other day and I thought it was 233v which it was the last time I checked.
Worth checking.

Back
Top Bottom