What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vector top left flipper flipping frantically

domlouis

Registered
Hello,
I have this new fault on my Vector where the top left flipper flips frantically whenever you press the flipper button (ie it doesn't stay in the up position, it keeps on moving at high speed between up and down).
I imagine this is a problem with the three leaves contact switch which controls this movement. I can see it arcing repeatedly as i press the flipper button.
Could someone describe (or even better show me a couple of pictures) what this three leaves contact switch configuration should be in the down position AND in the up position?
Thank you.
Dom

Ah. That could explain why anything i tried with the 3 leaves switch setup made little difference.
I'll check the diode connection. How could i test for broken winding?

Dom,

One term for this fault is "chattering". The underlying cause of it is due to a flipper coil having two separate windings; the flipper operates by using the primary or power winding, but this would burn out if left on, so opening the End-of-Stroke switch adds the secondary winding to the circuit, reducing the current needed to keep the flipper raised if required. If the secondary circuit is faulty, the flipper drops, closing the EoS switch, by-passing the Hold winding and repeating the cycle. The coil will burn itself out if left like this for long. Check the wiring on the coil terminals - the Hold winding is the thinner wire. Depending on which end has broken, it may be feasible to unwind one turn from the coil and re-connect (the hold winding is on the outer section of the coil)

Edit - corrected for series wound circuits

Last edited:
I have unwound a turn in the past if it has broken, tho as said,depends on whether inner or outer wire has broken.
You could also measure the resistance of the middle lug to the other lug with the thin wire on,tho you will be disconecting wires for that

Easiest way to check with it installed is with a meter on dc settings and the black lead against ground. Put a piece of card or other insulator in between the eos switch and measure the voltage at all three tabs of the coil. If the coil is good then there should be the same 50v+ at ALL the tabs. If one is missing then the winding is broken.

Back
Top Bottom