What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Valves... (Otherwise known as Vacuum tubes)

Paul

Staff member
Alias
Toibs
Not these....

valve1.jpg

Or these....

valves1.jpg

But these....

vacuum tubes.jpg

I know we have a wealth of people and knowledge on here.... If anyone has any of these, or knows of any kicking about for sale at a reasonable price then please let me know.... happily open to job lots of various types etc (in fact preferred!) Even if the condition is not known (again, preferable!)....

Many thanks
Paul

What is it you need if I can help I will

Attachments

• 01492C68-C220-4A49-8119-31372486DA18.jpeg
    01492C68-C220-4A49-8119-31372486DA18.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 23
  • 0A87365C-8A70-465E-A4E5-A386A310796F.jpeg
    0A87365C-8A70-465E-A4E5-A386A310796F.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 65EC46D4-25A6-40B5-89B7-02FD7F89D9DB.jpeg
    65EC46D4-25A6-40B5-89B7-02FD7F89D9DB.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 21
Thank you Jim... A little explanation is owed here :D

Picked myself up a Valve tester... After some valves of varying conditions to play and confirm it's all in working order :)

I know testers aren't the be-all and end-all... you can test something in a tester that tests good, however doesnt give good results in a set... but I want to be able to check and see if it's all working, and the only way i can see this is to get some valves and work through them :)

And, as we know.. in the olden days you can have what are labelled up as "NOS", however was swapped in the box at the time... so unless they have been in possession from new the condition isnt really known..

Plus also of course after any that anyone knows of kicking about to try to get a bit of a collection going :)

I can probably sort you some out and to be honest some are now becoming a good investment as certain valves can no longer be purchased.

I can probably sort you some out and to be honest some are now becoming a good investment as certain valves can no longer be purchased.

Thanks Jim - will drop you a pm shortly :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thats awesome!!

And they are right... you get MUCH better (smoother and punchier) sound reproduction Via Valves... :)

Got rakes at my workshop. All taken out of guitar Amps I have retubed.

Valve testers are okay to check basics but your ears are the best testers.

Also my valve tester does not test microphonics.

Sometimes tapping with a pencil is the best way.

Got rakes at my workshop. All taken out of guitar Amps I have retubed.

Valve testers are okay to check basics but your ears are the best testers.

Also my valve tester does not test microphonics.

Sometimes tapping with a pencil is the best way.

Agreed... a tester doesnt necessarily 100% guarantee a good valve, especially where audio is concerned.. the only 100% is to place in circuit. However it can give a good idea (and also can Match valves which is useful in audio Amps as you would know) :D

I never really use 'used' tubes. If you get a matching set (say a quad) - one can degrade quicker than the other if it is a different make/age etc.....

That is why I just rip them out and put new ones in.

But saying that - not a lot of new tubes are well made.....

Well if you have loads and don’t want them.... I don’t care what state they are in...[emoji6]
And I only work 5 mins down the road from you... [emoji6]

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but is there any value in old valves? This is lot one of a huge load that belonged to my grandad, but are now mine (well mine and my sisters).

1560A03F-65CD-4461-9FCB-DC4541F19EC5.png

it’s worth identifying their model numbers. some can be valuable. most not,

easy to get an idea of value using one of the valve tube sales website.

even the common ones have uses- eg for steam punk builders etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most are worth next to bugger all.. Some of the audio ones are worth a few quid.... to be honest it takes 10-15 mins to test a valve and note it's values PROPERLY.. so 4-5 in an hour... so not really worth most peoples while... and unless you have a Tester costing into the £000's and want to print graphs of their mutual conductance..... 😴

Ones in boxes seem to be worth more... but... beware of ones in boxes though! -- some are NOS, however the old practice used to be to change one out and put the old one back in the box... so there's no real guarantee in any of them unless tested!

Ive just picked up another two testers in the hope it might help (only because they need work - all Caps/Carbon Resistors will need to be replaced)... Literally Go/No Go Testers...(Mullard High Speed Tester)... in the hope it's quicker to weed out the good/bad ones in a minute...

thanks @Paul - probably best logging what’s there, then find out any value, if they’re any good. I’m sure there are testers there too. Not sure what they are though and my sister not Really sure what all the tools and electric stuff is.

thanks @Paul - probably best logging what’s there, then find out any value, if they’re any good. I’m sure there are testers there too. Not sure what they are though and my sister not Really sure what all the tools and electric stuff is.

Wanted to add - Condolences to the family too on your loss.

If you or your sister want any pointers in testers or how to test then give me a shout @James. On the flip side if you want to sell the testers/vales then i may be interested... Just lining up crap to do on those cold winters evenings...

Thank you @Paul - I’ll keep you in mind for when the time to sort that comes up. Sorry for the thread resurrection. Handy info though all.

Back
Top Bottom