What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UKCS 2018

robotgreg

Site Supporter
Alias
Greg
For anyone interested I've updated the standings of the UKCS for 2018 so far as attached and have also pulled together a list of upcoming comps within the UKCS. There may be more and have included some based on prior years which have yet to be confirmed for this year.

Attached a pic of schedule as can't get formatting right here but is also in the excel file attached.
IMG_20180607_094936906.jpg

Dan Lewell's still running UKCS, but I'm just helping out with the numbers.

Attachments

• UKCS 2018.xlsx
    118.1 KB · Views: 43
Don't tell Val it'll go straight to her head:rolleyes:

Will have to try and get to a few more this year!

Are Tim's Super awesome & World Cup comps, being grouped together as a single event, or am I just reading it wrong?

Seems strange as they're running on 2 separate days, hosted by 2 separate people, 2 separate registrations - they just happen to be in the same venue.

Are Tim's Super awesome & World Cup comps, being grouped together as a single event, or am I just reading it wrong?

I’ve been chatting with Greg about this and the rule has always been, where more than one comp at same venue on the same weekend, it has always counted as one UKCS event, not two, where points amalgamated but only count as one UKCS event. The main original drive behind this was to ensure that people didn’t miss out on UKCS points if they couldn't happen to make a particular weekend and always been accepted and viewed as fair.

But I think this weekend is a bit different, the two comps aren’t related, and they are being run by different people. I don’t think it would be fair to either of the organisers to say that their comp only counts as a side comp. So we will treat them as two separate comps for UKCS points as well.

If there are weekends with a main comp and a side comp in future we will still treat that the old way, but if they are 2 distinct one day comps being run by different people, like Tim’s & the World Cup at the end of the month they will count separately.

I’ve been chatting with Greg about this and the rule has always been, where more than one comp at same venue on the same weekend, it has always counted as one UKCS event, not two, where points amalgamated but only count as one UKCS event. The main original drive behind this was to ensure that people didn’t miss out on UKCS points if they couldn't happen to make a particular weekend and always been accepted and viewed as fair.

But I think this weekend is a bit different, the two comps aren’t related, and they are being run by different people. I don’t think it would be fair to either of the organisers to say that their comp only counts as a side comp. So we will treat them as two separate comps for UKCS points as well.

If there are weekends with a main comp and a side comp in future we will still treat that the old way, but if they are 2 distinct one day comps being run by different people, like Tim’s & the World Cup at the end of the month they will count separately.
FWIW that's always been my understanding as well and makes sense, as does the decision regarding this particular weekend.

24 hour flip included? I think thats questionable. Not sure a 24 hour event is super accessible for lots of people.

It also seems nuts that random events are chucked in to this?

Surely a better option would be to run a more defined UK circuit and get all the tournaments setup at the start of the year so people can prepare to attend them?

Cheers,
Neil.

24 hour flip included? I think thats questionable. Not sure a 24 hour event is super accessible for lots of people.

Surely a better option would be to run a more defined UK circuit and get all the tournaments setup at the start of the year so people can prepare to attend them?

Cheers,
Neil.

Chucked in for the benefit of the few not the many...

This is the whole issues with pinball comps, nothing defined...

This is the whole issues with pinball comps, nothing defined...

From the Tilt Pinball League Page on FB

"We will be making some changes"
Changes from what? There are no details there at all.

"First up the monthly £3 will go into a prize fund... But the prizes will go to the most improved players... Not the winners as they will receive trophies."
How do you define most improved player?
What's the split of the prize fund?

"High score competition to stay as before but there my but some alterations to the format"
So is it staying the same or changing?

Nothing defined there at all. :rofl:

From the Tilt Pinball League Page on FB

"We will be making some changes"
Changes from what? There are no details there at all.

"First up the monthly £3 will go into a prize fund... But the prizes will go to the most improved players... Not the winners as they will receive trophies."
How do you define most improved player?
What's the split of the prize fund?

"High score competition to stay as before but there my but some alterations to the format"
So is it staying the same or changing?

Nothing defined there at all. :rofl:

Hi Wayne

Sorry you feel so bitter, regarding me questioning your intent about the high stakes pinball comp... And have felt the need to try and bad mouth me and blank me yesterday at midlands pinball meet...

If you want to go that route I could list all the nasty and things you say about people in the journeys I used to ferry you back and forth from Tilt... Or I could contact IFPA about you adding people who were not at league meets and comps to bump the points up.

As for the above

Format will remain the same as previous league meets. 5 machines and 1 for high score

Machines will be picked at random something people have asked for since the beginning but you choose to ignore.

People will have the option of playing a joker at each meet, if they choose to play that score for better or worse is the final score

Highscore comp - No play off as majority of people don't care or have to leave to get home

We are still working out how to define most improved player - its an idea to reward people who actively take part in the league and not always rewarding the few whom battle it out.

Both Aid and myself only want to host a fun night where people can come along and have some fun - its not all about winning like you think it is

Not bitter at all. I had said I was going to talk to you in person about continuing to run the league, but within 10 minutes you had sent emails out and, posts on FB saying I was stepping down and you and Aid were running the comp in the future.

I didn't blank you either yesterday, or at least was certainly not my intention, you may not realise , yet, just how much there is to do while running a fully functioning comp.

My point is that you are quick to bad mouth others and give your opinions when you have no experience of running any comps, and my previous post (as well as yours) highlights that exactly.

You say
Format will remain the same as previous league meets. 5 machines and 1 for high score
"Will remain the same" This is a completely new comp and therefore there's nothing to remain the same as. If you mean that it's going to run the same as the league format I created you need to be explicit in saying that.

its not all about winning like you think it is
I at least have the good grace to congratulate others, yourself included, when they have won and I have lost. Not cheering when someone loses a ball, or trying to put others off while they are still playing.

If, as you say, everything you do is for the good of pinball and to introduce new people into pinball I assume from now on the machines will be on Free Play for everyone during your opening hours - not just for the select few you play pinball with? Or are you running a business and thus YOU profit from people playing the machines in your venue - I certainly don't have a problem with that, but it makes me laugh the sheer hypocritical diatribe you come out with.

Machines will be picked at random something people have asked for since the beginning but you choose to ignore.
It's hard to pick games at random when a decent proportion of the games aren't fit to play in competition at any given time. As you know full well, games are picked on a rotation basis with the exception of new games which always get put in.

Oh dear chaps .... you might want to discuss this off the forum ...it makes for less depressing reading for everyone :tut:

Honestly - you guys then wonder why a lot of us choose not to get involved with the competitive pinball scene.

They are big toys. Have a beer, have a flip, just have some fun.

Agreed and I apologise for doing it publicly but I did have to try to defend myself from Wayne.

'Or I could contact IFPA about you adding people who were not at league meets and comps to bump the points up.'

This is a serious accusation Kirk, it calls into question the integraty of previous competitions. Are you seriously gonna back up this statement?

'Highscore comp - No play off as majority of people don't care or have to leave to get home'

This is fine as long as you don't intend to submit the results to IFPA. They insist on a final or the comp fails to meet their (admittedly unpopular) criteria.

Cheers,
Neil.

The general idea of the UKCS when Craig and I set it up a number of years ago now was that it covered all one-off events which were not leagues. So any UK comp will automatically be included in UKCS as long as it has WPPR points awarded (we thought this seemed a logical condition to ensure any comp was justified to be included).

Yes in an ideal world you have a calendar set at the beginning of the year but you never know what new comps are going to be planned and the WPPR restriction ensures there is reasonable notice as they need to be registered with IFPA withat least a month's notice to qualify. We're trying to encourage as many comps as possible by allowing automatic entry to UKCS during year. Furthermore, only your best x comps (preset depending on total number) count towards your final standing so you don't lose out by missing some.

Hope this helps to explain.

Here's latest standings following comps at Flipout and Swavesey recently.

Next comp is at Electric Circus, Birmingham on Sunday 29 July followed by Special When LIt on Sunday 5 August.

Attachments

• UKCS 2018.xlsx
    126.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
A question to @robotgreg & @DanLewell .

I have been informed, by the IFPA President himself, that as I supressed myself from the IFPA ranking I am not eligible to enter the UKCS.
It also states on the IFPA website that for any person to be eligible to enter the World Champion ships, National championships, State Championships, etc. the player must have registered and provided an email address with the IFPA.

Are the other 5 players who are currently sitting in the top 20, who haven't registered, also going to be excluded?

Wayne, looks like you're not surpressed any more. Assuming that's not something IFPA have done unilaterally, does that mean you're back in?

Wayne, looks like you're not surpressed any more. Assuming that's not something IFPA have done unilaterally, does that mean you're back in?
Yes I'm back in. Only supressed myself as a protest against the seeding in The UK Open, it made me feel better even if it mattered not a jot to anybody else. :)
Once I supressed myself I was automatically disqualified from all IFPA series events for 2018.

Out of interest, how were the UK Open and UK Classics worked out points wise as there was never any qualifying information released was there? Only 24 players seem to have entered?

I would like to see the head to head results etc. and would have assumed that would have been released by now?

Yes I'm back in. Only supressed myself as a protest against the seeding in The UK Open, it made me feel better even if it mattered not a jot to anybody else. :)
Once I supressed myself I was automatically disqualified from all IFPA series events for 2018.

79fa4691e179e2d5ed3a7940dc2a37cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom