What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Tz super mint

I honestly don't know how you guys take everything apart like this and have any clue where it all goes back afterwards. So many wires and connectors. Do you take photos or is it just that you've done it so many times that you know just from looking at a loom what it is and where it goes?

A drop of tfr and hot water set temp to 30 degrees and 30 mins and the job is a good one has a tap on so you can quickly drain away and start again you really need to change the water between cleans as it gets black A12E16F1-CBE2-4906-BF3C-76E042227513.jpegB2743D5F-A106-4B9D-B0E0-722461F032C9.jpeg

I honestly don't know how you guys take everything apart like this and have any clue where it all goes back afterwards. So many wires and connectors. Do you take photos or is it just that you've done it so many times that you know just from looking at a loom what it is and where it goes?

I can re wire a back box in about 5 mins without pics but only because I do this every day I do take 100s of pics of the strip down for reference if I need it then I can look back at it

With regards to the ultrasonic cleaner vs vibration tumbler, which would you use in what situation? Tumbler for rust, cleaner for dirt?

With regards to the ultrasonic cleaner vs vibration tumbler, which would you use in what situation? Tumbler for rust, cleaner for dirt?

Ultra sonic cleaner to clean of the dirt
Tumbler to clean all the metal work I will go in to that in a bit more detail later in the thread

All done and laid out ready for 2 good coats of etch primer
Always use a good primer to allow a good key for the next coats of satin black nothing worse than being able to scrape the paint of with your nail 7C0456EA-2619-465C-9098-0683F3182E65.jpegAF9EA9DB-61EA-4B4B-9080-1CB39F8FA5B0.jpeg

I've read about putting them in the dishwasher which sounds completely crazy to me..?

I've read about putting them in the dishwasher which sounds completely crazy to me..?

Thats how its done in manufacturing.
Just dont use dishwasher soap/salt and not a high temp.
Clean boards with IPA first then in a dishwasher without soap and salt.

I used to refurb 80's consoles. They had leaky caps which made a real mess at times.

Or do what Chris b does use TFR and rinse off with a hose. Bloody great stuff I use it in a hand sprayer and the filth literally runs off as you spray it on with zero effort

Thats how its done in manufacturing.
Just dont use dishwasher soap/salt and not a high temp.
Clean boards with IPA first then in a dishwasher without soap and salt.

I used to refurb 80's consoles. They had leaky caps which made a real mess at times.

Still sound super scary - not sure I could easily remove the salt from my machine or explain wtf I'm doing when my wife asks.

Might stick with the toothbrush approach.

Yes it would probably loosen or remove labels.

I've done it many times and it certainly cleans well.

Dishwasher use up the salt pretty quick so not an issue if there a trace amount in.

Leaking caps leave a residue that eats PCB tracking.
So if you dont clean it well it will continue to corrode.

Looking at the Williams 11C I have, thats not really a problem as the caps seem to be sealed.

I would only do it if caps were leaking.

Put a Finish Powerball in with your TZ power board and stick its Powerball in for good measure!

(I'll get my coat)

Ok small update been mega busy so not that much to report but a bit of progress first thing we have all the cab metal work back from the powder coaters in a lovely metallic purple and all the playfield stuff from the zink platers CBF3E6A8-7800-4FB0-850D-C5244D9B4883.jpeg224EB737-15A4-4A73-8523-12F0928D7962.jpeg

And started tumbling a few parts had a few comments on tumbling so I will explain my method most of the hardware will be replaced anyway but it’s nice to put It through the tumblers anyway
I have 2 tumblers probably quite a bit larger than the normal pinball hobbiest the first one I use the red media this is pretty course and gets of all the rust and nasty bits
And then the second is fine and I use it with autosol to bring up a good shine ED80A865-48C7-4626-939F-763E754A3BFD.jpeg17283537-531F-423D-BEE1-DA4C9B70C182.jpeg5D705C4D-4DDB-45F2-B426-5389CA0FF7F8.jpeg

Update from my end on this project.

First run of mod expander boards arrived

IMG_2702.JPG

First board assembled (destined for this game). Just the 12v section populated. There is an optional 5v section to, but not needed here.

fullsizeoutput_c92.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_c8e.jpeg

Power up test with the source 5A short protected power supplies

fullsizeoutput_c8f.jpeg

Small load test with a motor i had laying about (from a dr who or similar)

fullsizeoutput_c90.jpegfullsizeoutput_c91.jpeg

Boards are assembled with a 4A fuse fitted. The power supplies i will supply are rated at 5A. This should keep the modders pretty happy.

Seeing Chris monday, so this will passed to him then.

Back
Top Bottom