What's new

TZ - Sh*tting trough proximity error (Check Switch 26)

Durzel

Registered
What are your guys solutions for this notorious issue?

Powerball popped into shooter lane, wasn't announced, then credit dot appeared during the game shortly afterwards. I didn't even have to stop the ball in play to know what the error was going to be. Again, oddly, the dot disappeared mid game too.

Getting cheesed off with this sensor. I've got a Pinpoint branded board set in my TZ for this, which is designed to mitigate this problem and even has an adjustable sensitivity pot on it, and it's still temperamental from time to time.

What do you guys do? I've reseated and twisted the red/black cable which works for a while, but not indefinitely.

Do you solder the wires directly on the header pins? I've heard that makes it more reliable but would like confirmation.

Also - I keep forgetting - the red LED is on when the game detects metal, yes? (so should be off with the Powerball in the ball eject position)

Mine has the original boards, it does the same thing from time to time.

Also - I keep forgetting - the red LED is on when the game detects metal, yes? (so should be off with the Powerball in the ball eject position)
So is the led off when powerball is next to sensor and you still get the error?

Mine did this but was because the sensor was out of position because only one screw was holding it in place so just adjusted it back to the correct position, it did it again the other day
might have a look today I’m guessing it’s out of position again so I better find another screw.

I only get that error when tz hasn’t been fired up in a while, then it goes away. I’ve got a new sensor but haven’t fitted it.

I have had problem with the new boards as well. I always solder directly to the boards.

Reason they sent a twisted cable is because it helps with 'noise' and unwanted signals. Basically a cheap mans way of getting round not having screened cable.

The connectors are still the same rubbish idea on the modern boards.

I find that most TZs never seem to work 100% Always something! That what happens when you push the technology and boardset to 110%

Have sorted it. Strangely when I took a look at it a few minutes ago the sensor was behaving as it should (LED on when metal ball in ball eject position, off with no ball or Powerball), and it correctly announced the Powerball. That's the Twilight Zone for you I guess.

Took cable off and twisted it a few times to see if it would help (psychologically it did), will probably look to solder it on if* it happens again.

There's some adjustment in the bracket which has the sensor on it, so it's possible it's moving with vibration or something.

* when

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom