What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TZ - removing metal hex post

Durzel

Registered
Hi,

My first pinball machine, and my first time trying to maintain one - so go easy please :)

I've bought the set of Cliffy protectors for my TZ, and trying to install them. Naturally I've fallen at (almost) the first hurdle. Trying to take the slot machine wire rail off, and I'll be damned if I can actually unscrew the metal post with my fingers per the installation instructions.

Here is a photo (not my pin) of the post I'm trying to remove:

dsc00317.jpg

Will a regular small adjustable spanner do the job on that, or is there a better tool for the job?

Sorry for such a mundane question!

Cheers. I don't have a regular spanner small enough for it, will have to have a hunt around B&Q & Screwfix I guess.

Pliers, you only need to slacken it abit. Put some cloth around it if you're worried about damage.

Its a 1/4 inch. Ideally you need a set of imperial nut drivers.
They will come in for plenty of jobs so buy a set.

Indeed, an imperial socket set is pretty much vital for any pin owner, even if its just for putting leg bolts in :)

Cheers all.

I had already bought a set of Hilmor magnetic nut drivers for other/future work, but for this job there's no way to get to the top of the post because the clear plastic ramp sits on top of it.

Did try some pliers I had handy but couldn't get any purchase on it. Whoever worked on it previously did a real job of tightening it.

These have come in handy for me a few times - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013JYBXJA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EDIT: I do like the user who gave them 2 stars saying "These are much too small for what I wanted them for" What a spanner!
These would be wrong because they are metric, no?

Pliers, you only need to slacken it abit. Put some cloth around it if you're worried about damage.

This. Slacken with pliers, soft cloth to protect, use screw driver to undo screw at top.
Simples.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are going to mess with Pinballs, you really need the right tools. There are in numerate awkward tasks involved.

I have had a set similar to this for 20 years. Incredibly useful and you can buy additional screwdriver things so you do not have to keep swapping the sockets over. It has extensions, a flexible drive shaft, ratchets .....

https://www.amazon.com/Draper-Expert-75-Piece-Imperial-Combined/dp/B01N75GQ9D

https://www.drapertools.com/product/12454/Expert-1-4inch-Square-Drive-Spinner-Handle-(Sold-Loose)

Cheers all.

Managed to get it loosened with some pliers in the end, with a bit of kitchen roll to protect the leg :D

I'm not quite at the point of doing lots of DIY myself yet, baby steps....

Toolstation and B & Q don't stock the spanners you need (apart from adjustables). They only seem to stock metric (at least the ones up here do cos I've been and asked). I ended up buying spanners, nut drivers & sockets off Amazon (for very little outlay)

Back
Top Bottom