What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turning volume down RFM

Andy B

Site Supporter
Recently bought a revenge from mars for my collection but it’s so loud!

i have the volume turned right down to level 1 but it’s still drowning out the sound from my other machines and more importantly disturbing my wife’s TV viewing.

Previous owner said he had similar problem and he would just disconnect one of the speakers but I don’t really want to do something so drastic and mitigate the machine.

My question is, can I just buy some kind of cheap amplifier to actually reduce the base volume, rather than amplify it and would it even go lower than the volume level controllable by the coin door buttons?

I can turn it down to level zero but of course that means it’s completely silent!

Thanks

Andy

What setup in your rfm do you have? Ie is it an original computer system or one of my drop in replacements or another 3rd party replacement setup?

Send some pics of what in the backbox

What setup in your rfm do you have? Ie is it an original computer system or one of my drop in replacements or another 3rd party replacement setup?

Send some pics of what in the backbox
Is original computer, original set up. Only thing that’s been changed is it now has LCD screen.

“Your drop in replacements?”

Is original computer, original set up. Only thing that’s been changed is it now has LCD screen.

“Your drop in replacements?”

So does it get progressively quieter from 10 to 1 or stays the same until level 0 then goes quiet. If levels 1-x don’t change the volume then the amp card has a fault. Most likely with the digital volume ic. I have spare amp cards you could swap if want or repair the original

Volume controls and amp are working fine. Gets louder and quiter up and down all the way and is silent at 0 it's just that even the lowest level (1) is too loud.

I see you do RFM updates. Do you also do replacement PCs? Although there's nothing to suggest there's anything wrong with the one in mine, the fan's quite noisy and with 20 year old hardware in it, it's only a matter of time I'm sure before something goes kaput!

Volume controls and amp are working fine. Gets louder and quiter up and down all the way and is silent at 0 it's just that even the lowest level (1) is too loud.

I see you do RFM updates. Do you also do replacement PCs? Although there's nothing to suggest there's anything wrong with the one in mine, the fan's quite noisy and with 20 year old hardware in it, it's only a matter of time I'm sure before something goes kaput!

There's no way that the game on volume setting 1 should be too loud so you cant hear your tv. Something is definitely wrong somewhere. My guess would still be the volume control ic. It probably isnt scaling correctly.

Highly recommend having Jim giving it a health check and installing his new code !!

Mine is set at level 1 ,but it is louder than my over machine's ,not much though ,so it could be just normal .Has anyone snook an amp in the head ?

There's no way that the game on volume setting 1 should be too loud so you cant hear your tv. Something is definitely wrong somewhere. My guess would still be the volume control ic. It probably isnt scaling correctly.
And the TV’s in the next room!

Go into the settings and check if the minimum value override is set to on or off.

Is your amplifier within the stock PC - or is it a seperate amplifier?

This doesnt sound like a fault I have heard off before.

Go into the settings and check if the minimum value override is set to on or off.

Is your amplifier within the stock PC - or is it a seperate amplifier?

This doesnt sound like a fault I have heard off before.

If its too loud on volume setting 1, you already have the min volume override turned off, as that stops you turning it below 8...

How much for replacement amp card please?

Would be £75 plus vat and postage, but if you want to try it first then that's no problem,. I have loads of them. Of course you'll have to cover postage both ways if its not the issue.

Or you can send me your computer box and i'll have a closer look at it here

Also still worth sending some pics of whats in the head just so we can confirm it is all stock.

Jim

Now from memory (Jim at @myPinballs may clarify this) - the black wires on the connector - do they not spread off to two different places on the prism board?
Could one of those ends need reseating - or has one become unplugged?

Personally I have never had to repair one of these amp boards for being 'stuck on too loud'.

If I was you - take out your PC and send it to Jim for the health check and upgrade (CPU fan and heatsink - software upgrade and maybe ram upgrade).

I'm wondering if this is my old one that went to @domlouis, but it had a CRT in when I had it....
I didn't own it for long as it wouldn't fit up the stairs, but it did seem really loud even on 1 - but I didn't have it long enough to look at it as a problem....

I'm wondering if this is my old one that went to @domlouis, but it had a CRT in when I had it....
I didn't own it for long as it wouldn't fit up the stairs, but it did seem really loud even on 1 - but I didn't have it long enough to look at it as a problem....
Yep ! I have it :p
It's had a health check with new fan Batteries and running on @myPinballs new code , which is brilliant !! At the moment it is in bits having a clean and replacing ware and tare parts at the moment :thumbs:

Yep ! I have it :p
It's had a health check with new fan Batteries and running on @myPinballs new code , which is brilliant !! At the moment it is in bits having a clean and replacing ware and tare parts at the moment :thumbs:
Glad to know it's still in the community :) That's 5 people I know who've owned that game, @johnwhitfield, the guy I got it from off ebay, me and then on to dom and now you.....

Back
Top Bottom