What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Trying to save a Shadow from the scrapheap

Yep, which U24 as a 74HC14 chip has the simple job of inverting - except right now all it (seems) to be doing is flatlining it. The correct usually-low, pulsing-high signal is going into U24 and we should see the pulsing-low signal coming out

ok i have checked and triple checked the voltage at pin 14 (5.02v perfect smooth line) and the ground at pin 7 which is a good low resistance connection, i have removed the board and sandpapered the rust off the mounts and groundplane. i have lowered the resistance across the grounds to near enough 0.2 ohms after allowing for the test leads.

to make sure i have also checked the other 5 'not' gates on the same IC and while none of them are oscillating, they are all doing what they should be (low input is a high output and vice versa)

so i have placed an order with farnell for 2 new IC's and 2 sockets. should be here tomorrow according to their website. as soon as they turn up i will get them thrown in and give you the good (hopefully) news :D

Good stuff, the better grounds will help a ton across the game.

You'll have this all working well soon enough!

Yep, which U24 as a 74HC14 chip has the simple job of inverting - except right now all it (seems) to be doing is flatlining it. The correct usually-low, pulsing-high signal is going into U24 and we should see the pulsing-low signal coming out
Ah thanks for that wasn't sure with it being a Schmitt trigger as I am not up on these.

Any further progress @T-Dawg ?

Cheers

kev

Ah thanks for that wasn't sure with it being a Schmitt trigger as I am not up on these.

Any further progress @T-Dawg ?

Cheers

kev

Sorry guys, I had to go to skegness this morning on a callout and haven't been home long but anyway...

20180105_145205.jpg

The new socket and ic were waiting for me on my return and I have them fitted now :)

Edit - Before anyone calls me rough I know I haven't washed the flux off yet I was just checking it first

Ohhhh that's a rewarding 'bong' indeed.

Awesome stuff! Give yourself most of the credit, you're the one that found the faulty U24 output after all :)

Ohhhh that's a rewarding 'bong' indeed.

Awesome stuff! Give yourself most of the credit, you're the one that found the faulty U24 output after all :)

I'm not very confident when it comes to tracing faults and what have you and it's always re-assuring when you have somebody telling you your on the right track. Thanks for helping me along with it I was so buzzed when it fired up this afternoon!!

I think I'm going to treat myself to a beer or 6 tonight at the watering hole and I'm really looking forward to next week now so I can get the deck stripped and sent off to Chris.

I'm not very confident when it comes to tracing faults and what have you and it's always re-assuring when you have somebody telling you your on the right track. Thanks for helping me along with it I was so buzzed when it fired up this afternoon!!

I think I'm going to treat myself to a beer or 6 tonight at the watering hole and I'm really looking forward to next week now so I can get the deck stripped and sent off to Chris.

Hi, who is Chris and what does he do for you? Sorry to ask - just trying to figure out who has what skills on here. Thanks, Alan

Pardon my ignorance, when you replaced the chip , does it need some kind of programming or do they come ready to put straight in ?

This kind of chip is just an integrated circuit or 'I.c.' and dosen't have any software inside.
If you were to change one of the memory chips that contain the game or sound files then it would need to be reprogrammed beforehand with the correct file.

Quick update fellas, as the machine is pretty much fully functional, I have begun the stripping of the playfield. Very grubby but considering the state of the cabinet, it's not it a bad shape at all.

20180108_152758.jpg 20180108_152805.jpg 20180108_152810.jpg

Should have it all removed tomorrow ready to send off to Chris. Progress feels good :)

More tomorrow hopefully

Can anybody recommend what media I should order for my tumbler? I want one that's pretty quick but not so abrasive that if I forgot to check it, it would destroy my parts.

Also any word on where I can locate a set a of cab decals? Getting a bit worried I won't be able to source any now. :-o

Media wise, I hear crushed walnut shell is good.
And have you messaged @PeteB regarding decals. He may be able to assist.
Good luck, you’ve done a great job so far.

@T-Dawg I use reptile substrate which is pretty much a fine crushed walnut - works a treat and a lot cheaper - most good petshops keep it

Cheers

kev

Yeah the crushed walnut is the reptile substrate I think. That's definitely best for first round of cleaning. 2-3 days in the tumbler with some autosol, and then I switch over to corn cobb for a day or two, which is softer, and brings up a high shine.

Looks like everybody is in agreement here Some of the parts are extremely rusty so I think before they go in the tumbler I'll get them on the wire wheel to get rid of the thick stuff.
I have ordered some of that autosol as I have heard good things. How much do you guys put in?

So here is some more progress from today...
20180109_145027.jpg 20180109_145050.jpg
Deck now completely stripped except the tee nuts, I think I'm going to leave them in for now as I have plenty new ones so if they get full of lacquer then I have a key as to what size to place where.
20180109_141452.jpg 20180109_145158.jpg

Cabinet stripdown is now well under way.

More tomorrow (hopefully)

Cheers guys

Progress report!!!

new cabinet is almost complete, just a few more pieces to attach. then its on to the "filling - sanding - filling - sanding" infinite loop. :D

if anybody knows where i can get hold of the angle brackets in the backbox and another ground plane for the boards please let me know, i will be posting a wanted ad later today all being well but if anyone can give me an early heads up, that would be great. Cheers guys.

20180120_182810.jpg 20180120_182916.jpg 20180120_182831.jpg 20180120_182844.jpg 20180120_182932.jpg

thats all for now folks.

Silly question,did you make and cut the cabinet yourself or get it professionally cut etc.

It wasn't cnc cut if that's what you mean? It was all cut from raw material using a plunge saw and router etc. It is glued and biscuited on the joints to make it extra strong, I wish I could take all the credit but I had to call in my friend who is very good at this sort of thing and we managed between us to get in done to this stage in one day. Which I think is very good going.

nice bit of woodworking there @T-Dawg

Thanks very much, however I did hire somebody for the day, Just to make the brews for me while I worked, obviously :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom