What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Trying to save a Shadow from the scrapheap

Tim R

Registered
Hi guys I know I haven't been on for a while but I thought you might want be interested in this one. Pretty much ended up with this one for free so I thought putting some money into it wasn't a bad idea. Looks like it's been fished straight from a lake however and just getting the head to sit upright without falling off was a challenge in itself take a look and tell me what you think...20171120_103541.jpg 20171120_103547.jpg 20171120_103618.jpg 20171120_103623.jpg 20171120_103633.jpg 20171120_103800.jpg 20171120_103825.jpg 20171120_103835.jpg 20171120_104041.jpg 20171120_103517.jpg

not in a very good state, but before i start throwing money at the cosmetics, i need to get the game to boot!

Good on you attempting that. Definitely wear a mask when cleaning that white stuff off.

Definitely! i had to remove the dog from the shop as he started to sniff around the back and base of the machine which cant be any good for him at all.

anyway i stuck some power to it and i have been getting a fault code on the LED's, blanking LED remains lit, CPU led is Blinking twice and the 5v LED remains lit. from what i gather this is a bad U8, just in case it was corrosion i have removed all the IC's cleaned the board and reflowed the legs of U8 but alas, still no boot.

i have checked 5v and 12v and these are ok, tried with only the power connected to the board, Nothing! so it looks like im ordering a new cmos, which means after an hour of getting giddy im already stuck. typical.

does anyone know where i can order these CMOS RAM chips?

Nothing Novus can't sort surely?

Believe it or not the playfield itself is in pretty decent condition, considering. i was really surprised at this as i have already put my name down on CPR for a new one (they are already in production as we speak) but if i can have this one restored which i believe is possible, i can either fit the new one and get some money back from the old one, or vise versa.

ill get some pictures of the playfield itself up so you can see for yourself, i wish i would have unwrapped the machine before putting my name on the list, but i really expected it to be a gonner!

It looks really rough it places but definitely restorable with some hard graft. It's clearly been pretty damp towards the back end of the machine. Surprising to see that most of the mechs under the playfield look in pretty good condition though. Good luck with the restore.

20171120_130715.jpg 20171120_130745.jpg 20171120_130818.jpg 20171120_130735.jpg 20171120_130802.jpg 20171120_130859.jpg 20171120_130721.jpg 20171120_130750.jpg 20171120_130852.jpg 20171120_130656.jpg 20171120_130705.jpg Here are the Playfield Pictures, alot better than the exterior cabinet condition would lead you to believe. and as Aaron said above, the underside of the playfield is just as surprising, at leat it will save me some time cleaning all the mechs up during the transfer :clap:

Last edited:
don't really want to look underneath that patch on the sanctum magnet just yet

Is it a piece of metal? I've seen holes worn through the playfield before so might be covering something as bad as that :(

Is it a piece of metal? I've seen holes worn through the playfield before so might be covering something as bad as that :(

Its a plastic stick on patch, i have seen other machines with severe damage to this part of the playfield which is why i'm not looking forward to removing it, however it does feel pretty level so i might get lucky and somebody could of put it there as they didn't want the damage to occur in the first place "yeah right"!! :rofl:

ive done a shadow and have the water slide for "the sanctum" area ,happy to quote for a playfield restoration if you want to get in touch..

Im new here, but great choice (im biased). Should keep ou busy for a while.

Great game though, will be worth the effort.

It looks more filthy than fooked to me.

I think that looks salvageable. Key things for me would be ....

Is the cab robust, fixable ?
How corroded is the metal ?
Are the game specific parts there ? Some may be unobtainable
Is the pf flat, planking, rotting ?

I have a shadow. It is a great players game. But values are modest. It is probably still below 2k for a decent one. So just be careful not to go overboard on it - decals at 250 ? Playfield refurb for a few hundred ? Would you recoup this were you to sell it ?

As a decent player you might be in the 1700 bracket ? I doubt it could ever be a minter. Not many buyers of mint shadows are out there and would they pay 2500 for one ?

It looks more filthy than fooked to me.

I think that looks salvageable. Key things for me would be ....

Is the cab robust, fixable ?
How corroded is the metal ?
Are the game specific parts there ? Some may be unobtainable
Is the pf flat, planking, rotting ?

I have a shadow. It is a great players game. But values are modest. It is probably still below 2k for a decent one. So just be careful not to go overboard on it - decals at 250 ? Playfield refurb for a few hundred ? Would you recoup this were you to sell it ?

As a decent player you might be in the 1700 bracket ? I doubt it could ever be a minter. Not many buyers of mint shadows are out there and would they pay 2500 for one ?

I know it seems silly and unjustified but the machine stands me at nothing so I might as well invest some cash in it, get it something like as having the deck repaired will definitely add value. Might not outweigh the cost but I'm not planning on selling it straight away as we have a few sites for it to go round first.

I'd absolutely take on a pin like that as a project any day of the week. Very nice and lucky find if you really did get it for nowt!

Back
Top Bottom