What's new

Tron mods - what are the ones to get?

ronsplooter

Site Supporter
Alias
Chris
Having acquired my new Tron I'm wondering what are the recommended mods for it? Be interested to know what other owners have got and which they think were worth it as there's seems to be sh*t loads and some of them are really expensive!

I've already got a couple of things:
  • Mirror blades
  • Ramp light kit (Eli's/Pinbits ones)
And I've also had a look at:
  • Arcade cab v3.1 - really expensive but does look cool
  • Chrome pop bumper kit - really like the look of these
  • Lit light cycles - not sure about these, loads of money and there's already some small light cycle models on the game
I'm probably going to pick up the ramp protector kit to hide the damage rather than shell out for new ramps at this stage. Not too fussed about doing anything with the cab yet (powder coating armour etc) as I'd rather spend the money under the glass. I'm also thinking the same re: Colour DMD for now unless people think it's so good it's a must?

Also, what are people running in terms of custom code with different music? Mine's got v1.74 installed which I think is the latest looking at the readme on Stern's site but I know there are versions with different music...what's the best here?

@JMP @ianw @Rus121 @Sven Normansson and anyone else with a Tron, what are your thoughts?

ive also been trying to get hold of the Flynn sign mod, they were made by dk pinball in the us, ive emailed them a few times but looks like they are long gone

pinball decals do a massive range of mods for tron but they do know how to charge :(

Have the ramps cleaned up ok. If not I’d replace them. Good part of the playfield is made up of ramps..

Not done any cleaning yet (they'll be a shop log when I do) but the ramp entrance is smashed on the left one. The protector kit should cover it and the game plays fine so wasn't thinking about swapping them out for now but then I guess I really should be fitting the ramp light kit to decent ramps :D

I love the lit Flynns Arcade sign

I like the look of the Flynn's Arcade sign but if it's not available then I guess no joy on that one. The arcade cab is starting to sound like a winner :D

pinball decals do a massive range of mods for tron but they do know how to charge

I'll have a look tonight when I get home from work :thumbs:

Does anyone know if there's custom sound versions of the code with other Daft Punk songs rather than just stuff off the OST?

stick an LED in the recogniser - cheap and looks great.

sub woofer!

Some like the clear rubber disc, under the recogniser, but it is so grippy you'll need a strong stomach as it'll destroy all your lovely mods. Not done this myself....

The arcade cab is expensive but looks great. Think it worked out at about £250.

I have recognizer light, lit light cycles, mirror blades, tron cab, ramp light kit and full LED.

Think I need the pop bumper caps next.

The version of code I'm using is from here - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-le-music-remix-video-made-with-pinball-browser Not sure as it was already installed when I purchased it.

Oh, I also have a sub woofer attached. Really brings the game to life. I highly recommend it :)

crazy money can be spent modding a tron the arcade mod alone is $400 before shipping and vat very cool mod tho

ColorDMD :)

Laseriffic Topper

Total Lightshow looks good. Have on my Metallica Pro, fantastic!

ColorDMD :)

Laseriffic Topper

Total Lightshow looks good. Have on my Metallica Pro, fantastic!
I'm looking to get this - did you order straight from Australia and was it easy to fit (looks pretty simple)? Did you also go for the spinners and the sound callout?

Yep, from Australia, a few hours to fit the extra bulb strings. Didnt go for the spinners and sound callout, not sure was available when I purchased.

Tron is amazing. The essentials if you have the cash are, mirror blades, speaker upgrade, Eli ramp mods, light cycles and the Arcade cab upgrade. If they ever vault this I'm getting one day one

Nice one Chris, didn't realise you got one... Where have I been.....? :confused:

These are what I have, being what I think is the nice stuff that isn't OTT pricewise.

Blue mirror blades (realise you have some).
Chrome pop bumper caps. Absolute must, look great and well worth the £.
Slingshot and ramp entrance protectors.
Flipper fidelity speakers. Again, I think essential for the soundtrack which is the Daft Punk modified on mine.

I like the arcade cab and ramp lights but decided they were too expensive for what they gave tbh.

I want a colour DMD but haven't plunged yet....or maybe just a blue one from Dr Pinball.

There is a sticker to go on top of the three stand-up targets plate to match in with playfield art when lowered. Again, not got one yet but it looks good for the £.

I don't like the large light cycles some people put on the ramps, too big I feel so have the originals as they are. If you want to put the large ones on, think I have one or two somewhere.

How bad is your ramp? I have a spare that was replaced as one corner piece broke off. Apart from that it's pretty clean from memory and a protector would likely hide it.... would need to check though.

I have my own modified Daft Punk soundtrack ROM file if you want it. It's like the one generally available except I put Quorra Multiball and Sea of Simulation original music back in. Also faded out the end credits music. However, I have noticed that this also kicks in (with fade out) during Portal multiball, I hadn't realised the same clip was used in the code and as I don't reach Portal multiball often, didn't realise for months...! I also CBA changing it as I still don't get to it very often. :rofl:

P.S. I also think speaker ring lights look tacky/crap. Sorry @Monkeyboypaul . Each to their own though ! ;)

External powered sub, a cheap or second hand one will do. Makes a difference to all machines but none more than Tron. I just connected my AC/DC to one of mine and it made a huge difference, even with ACDC already having a 12" sub.

No particular one Chris, I have 5 different ones :). You do get respected models come up now again, being a few years old but still work fine. I snapped up @Paul's Paradigm sub a few months ago for £60 I think, awesome sub, way too good for a pin really. Keep an eye on ebay.

P.S. I also think speaker ring lights look tacky/crap. Sorry @Monkeyboypaul . Each to their own though ! ;)

I'm the first person to flag up tacky/crap LED mods! But i like the Speaker lights as you can dim and adjust the RGB to discrete levels.
Look good with some speaker inserts too. Iron Man VE's lights with Reactor emblem look excellent.

I’m also interested in this thread as I’m in the same boat having taken on huggers’ tron. I’m scoping out all the usual mods. For the FLYNN sign (if you’re interested), check out Kimballs Pinball site as he says he’s soon to be selling it. Personally I’m going to try making my own and will see how it goes. I’m getting the cab, the new light cycles and am seriously interested in the total light show. I’m a little concerned how far down the rabbit hole I could go with this.

So I'm now convinced on the arcade cab and have ordered one :thumbs: Going to hold off on the light cycles for now but am going to go for the chrome bumper caps. I'll need to factor in an LED OCD board and the more I think about it the more I'm going to replace both ramps :rofl: This is going to be expensive, thankfully the game was a bit of a bargain thanks to @chris b :thumbs:

I found a JBL Creature powered sub in the cupboard from an old set of PC speakers I used to use before one of the little speakers died. The sub should still be fine though (just need to find the cables), will this be ok to use with the pin?

You gonna spend a load on it but then scrimp on speakers !? The sound and music is one of the best things about the machine ! Only my opinion of course..... :D

Back
Top Bottom