What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Tuckey's Pinball Adventures

Jb3d

Site Supporter
Alias
John
Has anyone else bought Todd Tuckey's book?
I really enjoy watching his videos and the man seems like a genuine character. So I bought a copy of his new book 'Pinball Adventures’ which is about £23 from Amazon. I've mixed feelings about it. I enjoy hearing his detailed anecdotes about old machines and the companies that made them. It's the sort of book you pick up when you have 5 minutes, read a chapter, then put down again for another day. I would think some of the stories would already be well-known to more serious collectors … but not to me. My main gripe is the poor quality of the editing. It looks in places as if Todd has dictated thoughts and someone else has typed them up. This makes for some bizarre reading at times. He is describing access to the underside of the big Hercules machine. This apparently was through 'Bombay doors.' Bombay doors?...oh I know what he meant... 'bomb-bay doors.' In one galling glitch they have completely missed out a chapter. So the chapter 'Dr Dude' has the right pictures but the text (repeated) from the 'Blackwater' chapter. Elsewhere grammar Nazis like me will get grumpy about the weird grammar, spelling and punctuation. Nevertheless I'm enjoying it. It just could have been so much better with a good editor in charge.

Last edited:
I chatted with Todd at Chicago Pinball Expo. He mentioned there’s a number of book amends he requested that should have happened. There’s a revised version on the way!

He’s a lovely guy, and Frank at TNT Amusements is one talented engineer.
I love their Pinball restoration videos.

I really enjoy watching his videos and the man seems like a genuine character. So I bought a copy of his new book 'Pinball Adventures’ which is about £23 from Amazon. I've mixed feelings about it. I enjoy hearing his detailed anecdotes about old machines and the companies that made them. It's the sort of book you pick up when you have 5 minutes, read a chapter, then put down again for another day. I would think some of the stories would already be well-known to more serious collectors … but not to me. My main gripe is the poor quality of the editing. It looks in places as if Todd has dictated thoughts and someone else has typed them up. This makes for some bizarre reading at times. He is describing access to the underside of the big Hercules machine. This apparently was through 'Bombay doors.' Bombay doors?...oh I know what he meant... 'bomb-bay doors.' In one galling glitch they have completely missed out a chapter. So the chapter 'Dr Dude' has the right pictures but the text (repeated) from the 'Blackwater' chapter. Elsewhere grammar Nazis like me will get grumpy about the weird grammar, spelling and punctuation. Nevertheless I'm enjoying it. It just could have been so much better with a good editor in charge.

Besides loving pinball Todd was the man who inspired my to work on games, which i now enjoy doing more than playing them! I bought the book when it realeased and was also quite disappointed by the poor editing which i belive he said will be fixed. Hopefully this was a learning curve and the other books will go to print with less problems.

The Dr. Dude section made me laugh, i must of read half a page before realising it was a copy of the previous page that i had just read and was about a totally different game!

As Todd said in one of his videos, the printing errors will only make the book woth more in the future :thumbs:

Yeah the book looks like a five year old edited it - he was pretty scathing of his publisher/editor about it at his talk (I’ve got his talk on camera but it wasn’t his best production - in fact it was pretty Rooey). There is a new version we managed to get the original hand numbered one signed by him m.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I still haven't received my copy, even though Iit was supposedly shipped around a month ago - I got it from the pinball buzz website. Has anyone got theirs that ordered this way?

Wow. Clicked on the link above and had a very interesting read. This is only page 2 of 9!!!!! Crying shame.

Crikey. I've just scrolled through this thread on Pinside. It's a masterclass in all that goes wrong in internet communication. The speed of escalation is staggering...and then the vitriol! It was $30 for a rather poorly edited book with some interesting anecdotes. How can people get so angry about this? It makes me want to say thanks to everyone on this forum for their good humour and courtesy.

Oh that's a shame. Apparently I won a free copy of Issue 2, after entering the competition they had running before the launch. I'm not sure I really want it if it doesn't involve TNT. but hey, if it's free.

That of course assumes that I ever even receive it - I'm still waiting for issue 1 to arrive, that I ordered well before they started shipping them.

I am so glad I read the entire thread on pinside.
That was childish, entertaining, how not to run a business etc etc etc.
The posts by pinballbuzz are unreal.
Popcorn time

reading the thread it all makes sense from expo. the guy who was there that was Todd's publisher was a total asshat; so seeing him post the way he is doesn't surprise me. I have the book, the editing of it is totally shocking, mine is signed and numbered so maybe rare LOL. although slightly worrying if TNT is really in financial trouble which looks like it might be.

Neil.

I have a copy if anyone wants it for a donation to the group.

The book looked nice on the cover but the pages look like they were produced on a 15 year old colour photo copier - its not very good print quality at all.

The quality of the book has put me off reading it really. Shame as I really like Todd and his youtube channel - and he has a great deal of knowledge.

I have a copy if anyone wants it for a donation to the group.

The book looked nice on the cover but the pages look like they were produced on a 15 year old colour photo copier - its not very good print quality at all.

The quality of the book has put me off reading it really. Shame as I really like Todd and his youtube channel - and he has a great deal of knowledge.

What size donation. I’m interested.

Morning all - I actually contacted Todd last night on facebook and he does intend to do his own book in the future but he can not do it at the moment as he is busy with other things. He promised better quality print as well.

@James - I am afraid @Arv has PM'ed me about the book already, if he changes his mind I will contact you.

So it looks like my book will be going to another home.

I just looked at amazon uk where I got my book and the reviews are awful. It is about to have another one!

Spent a while reading the pinside thread. Jeez that Andrew 'editor' seems a nightmare. I know a few stories about someone else with the same name (followed by CEO) that is well documented on here. Anyhow, just have to make room in the back garden as I have an Aerofoil LE coming soon.....

reading the thread it all makes sense from expo. the guy who was there that was Todd's publisher was a total asshat; so seeing him post the way he is doesn't surprise me. I have the book, the editing of it is totally shocking, mine is signed and numbered so maybe rare LOL. although slightly worrying if TNT is really in financial trouble which looks like it might be.

Neil.

The being in massive debt and stricken with poverty has been Todd's schtick for years (decades from what others have said). He didn't deny some of the things pinballbuzz said he had either done, or asked for ... but possibly taking the moral high ground and not dignifying everything with a response. At least one would hope so.

Back
Top Bottom