What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Theme or game play?

Cmor111

Registered
Just wanted to know what most people go for when collecting pins.

Is it the theme or the game that draws most people to it?

Then as a follow on do collectors stick to a theme like films, music or superheroes ect or just the games that they like to play?

Then what sort of percentage of games are keeper or do they keep getting changed?

A few questions but I look forward to reading your replies.

I personally go for a pin that is fun to play. Having a theme that I really enjoy is just the icing on the cake.

For example I've just picked up a Fish Tales. For me its a fun addictive game. I Love the music and the game. I'm not a fisherman and haven't been fishing for over 15 years but I still love the game.

On the other hand I really enjoyed the terminator films, and I've played the T2 pin several times, but it just doesn't do it for me.

Gameplay is key for me :thumbs: If I don't enjoying playing a game then I won't be looking to add it to the collection. Theme will get me to give a game a go but if it doesn't play well then I won't want to own it.

I used to not have many keepers but as I've owned more and more pins the number of "keepers" has gone up. My keepers are mainly games I was after for a long time and managed to get one in good condition (or I've restored to good condition) so would struggle to get a nicer one of it I sold. I've got 11 pins at the moment and I'd say 6 of them are proper keepers, 3 have the potential to become keepers and 2 could be changed/sold :D

Gameplay is key for me :thumbs: If I don't enjoying playing a game then I won't be looking to add it to the collection. Theme will get me to give a game a go but if it doesn't play well then I won't want to own it.

I used to not have many keepers but as I've owned more and more pins the number of "keepers" has gone up. My keepers are mainly games I was after for a long time and managed to get one in good condition (or I've restored to good condition) so would struggle to get a nicer one of it I sold. I've got 11 pins at the moment and I'd say 6 of them are proper keepers, 3 have the potential to become keepers and 2 could be changed/sold :D
You're going to need a bigger house Chris.
I think as time goes on and you want to try more different unusual machines then the keepers list will get smaller. I had a few 'keepers' that did get moved on. At the end of the day our biggest enemy is not having enough space, so something has to give.

Gameplay is the biggest draw for me and if its a looker then that's a bonus.

Last edited:
Gameplay is number one for me. No such thing as a keeper either - there's always the option of trade or sale. Do I regret getting rid of some - absolutely - TAF, AFM and LOTR spring to mind. But, hey ho, there are so many more I want to play!

Nostalgia plays a part too. A few pins on my hit list are from my "new to drinking in pubs" days in the mid 90s when pins were cool and in every pub. Now in my "old and still drinking" days I can buy the pins I remember playing and enjoy them again but at a deeper level, which is where the playability factor then decides if it's a keeper....

Gameplay always trumps theme in the long run.

A good theme will initially attract people but you can't polish a turd.

Flintstones, Demo Man and SST, for me are games that I always enjoy playing but the films are totally ****. IJ a great theme but I got bored of the machine quickly.

The theme has to be pretty **** to hide a good game, although WOZ has given this a pretty good run.

Yes definitely gameplay over theme. I'm not a fan of fishing or football but FT and WCS are classic games.

I'm not overly excited about Star Trek either yet the Stern is one of the best. And I find Pirates of the Caribbean films pretty tedious, but it is a great game.

The list goes on really, The Shadow, Johnny Mnemonic...etc etc

Sometimes though, if you like the theme and the gameplay that could just tip the scales between keeper and non-keeper (for me that would be TZ and BSD).

Gameplay always for me. It doesnt matter how much you like the theme, if the game sucks, you are going to get bored quickly.

Also I get to pickup some good fun games cheap, because other people hate the themes. Good example is Elvis. I think its one of the best games there is (gameplay wise, but most people will turn their nose up at the theme)

Hi. I think it depends on how many games you intend to own. If it is one, gameplay is crucial. If you intend to own a dozen, you may want to include some lookers in the stable

Best games combine both, plus good sounds but prices reflect this

Something like the shadow is a great playing game, but weak theme, art and sound keeps the price readonable.

I think you should go to shows to see a wide spectrum of games. Establish what you enjoy the most, do your sums and take it from there.

I like both, some players like ft, because it is so highly recommended, but I would love an Avengers simply because I have read all the comics as a kid, but a lot of people regard it as a bad game.
I have Austin powers and south park that I love the theme of but may not be the most challenging

Both, ideally. But only theme can be compromised.

For example; The Walking Dead theme leaves me stone cold - couldn't be less interested, but if the game proves to be a real winner as the code advances then i'd consider a Premium in future.

Both, ideally. But only theme can be compromised.

For example; The Walking Dead theme leaves me stone cold - couldn't be less interested, but if the game proves to be a real winner as the code advances then i'd consider a Premium in future.
Watch the Walking Dead on box sets, its a awesome series then you can have the best of both worlds.
A cracking theme and a awesome playing game.

I think you need both or you'll get bored of it. Most folk will have keepers and maybe another one they will turn over.. Some of these less premium title's might just be a hit though.

Last edited:
Watch the Walking Dead on box sets, its a awesome series then you can have the best of both worlds.
A cracking theme and a awesome playing game.

Never cared for the horror/zombie genre. Besides, i barely watch TV and LOST really put me off watching anything that even hints at just running on, series after series, and never reaching a satisfying conclusion (not sure if that includes Walking Dead?). Game of Thrones has completely evaded my attention too. Don't mind Films, just because they have a beginning, middle and end (unless there's a **** sequel).

It's too sunny outside!

Gameplay every time. I'm not adverse to a themed pin but the latest flood of superhero and rock band pins is becoming tedious.

Game play every time. The most lesser title I own (HS2) is the one I enjoy playing the most, it just keeps making you press the start button again and again. Like many have said it depends on how many you can have in your collection as would I sell TAF, TZ etc and just keep HS2....... probably not but would it be for the right reasons?

Wait for the weather to change then get into it. You wont regret it, its a cracking series and it ties in really well with the pin.
You're actually better off reading the comics (sorry graphic novels as we're all grown ups!) they are great. I find the show spends too long in one area to keep it as truly addictive telly.

I see the IJ was a Keeper then? :)
I'm still fixing it. :D
I am on the last bits and bobs of it now electrically then I'll start making it look pretty. I've managed to replace the broken plastics and bi-plane. Took me a LONG time to get the trough sorted.

But yeah it is a keeper. I think most of pins are keepers now although I MAY let my TZ go if something else grabs my fancy.

Gameplay every time. I'm not adverse to a themed pin but the latest flood of superhero and rock band pins is becoming tedious.

I must admit to being a bit surprised by this too. Never happened in the 90's. Although I suppose movie tie-ins are more popular to the masses. Is it just me but do all Sterns have a similar layout

Last edited:
At the moment I'm driven by theme having very little experience of pins, liking things like bttf and ij but also by pinball arcade with br, jy, ft and afm just to name a few.

I've had the pleasure to play a few real tables when I purchased PZ, but I know that I need to play a lot more before finding my next pin.

Need to attend shows and make some friends with other pinheads to play their games so I can work out what's the best tables for me.

Think I can get away with 3 tables before having to look at building a dedicated room.

gameplay for me tho some of mine have both great themes and gameplay,such as Ramones,Metallica.g n r,family guy,taf.oh yeah genesis too-what better them than a dwarf with shin pads tywrapped to him,next to a potential transvestite?

Good luck with the plan Kenny, hope it works out for you. Then if I'm up in your area I'll be dropping you a pm asking to come over!!

Cheers mate, once my collection is bigger than 1 you'll be welcome to stop in if your in the area.

Back
Top Bottom