What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Theme or game play?

I would think gameplay was most important but im a newbie so i dont think my opinion counts just yet haha

Welcome @Dazevo, always good to have more pinheads in Scotland.

Did you make it to Play Glasgow this year? Do you know about the Scottish Pinball League?

Welcome @Dazevo, always good to have more pinheads in Scotland.

Did you make it to Play Glasgow this year? Do you know about the Scottish Pinball League?

Im from north wales bud, and only had a pinball 3 weeks ago so havent been to any pinball meets yet. I pic up my 2nd pinball machine satday morning.

Im from north wales bud, and only had a pinball 3 weeks ago so havent been to any pinball meets yet. I pic up my 2nd pinball machine satday morning.
My mistake, sorry.

You'll need to get yourself to the show in Manchester, it's the best pinball show in the country.

NLP are your local league, I've been down to one of their league meets, they are a great bunch and will be very welcome if you want to play with others. You'll also find that they're very helpful with all things pinball.

If you introduce yourself on the new members part of the forum I'm sure that they'll introduced themselves.

2 pins in 3 weeks, sounds like you've got a problem! Hope you've got a big gamesroom your going to need it!!!:rofl::thumbs:

Yeah cant wait to join a league and play with more pin heads! :).
Ive got a gottlieb operation thunder and pic up a gottlieb street fighter 2 this weekend. Games room has enough space for 4. Having to sell off some of my retro games collection for new pins tho :s

You'll find a few Gottlieb fans in the Northern League.

I think you'll need to find/make more space, my plan was 1 maybe 2 pins, I've now got 5 +1 arcade I'm looking after just now.

Game play every time. The most lesser title I own (HS2) is the one I enjoy playing the most, it just keeps making you press the start button again and again. Like many have said it depends on how many you can have in your collection as would I sell TAF, TZ etc and just keep HS2....... probably not but would it be for the right reasons?
Same for me
I love my hs2

Game play. You don’t play a theme... you could have a great theme, however no good if it plays like a cow...

Just wanted to know what most people go for when collecting pins.

Is it the theme or the game that draws most people to it?

Then as a follow on do collectors stick to a theme like films, music or superheroes ect or just the games that they like to play?

Then what sort of percentage of games are keeper or do they keep getting changed?

A few questions but I look forward to reading your replies.
Party Zone is by far my favorite and will not sell it. I love the sounds and graphics. Aim for the rocket is so cool and to get it a few times really rocks in game play! One of the better playfields out there also.

Party Zone is starting to give me nervous tics because of that prelaunch music, and people walking off mid-credit, leaving it playing permanently in the background when trying to play anything else in Arcade Club.... *twitch*

Ha ha. PZ is a favourite of mine too. Whacky theme, great imagination, nice artwork and fun fun fun. What more do you want!

From Dennis Nordman & Greg Freres, who are simply the best :)

As a newbie, of course the main thing I went on initially is the theme, then I studied, read reviews and found out which are the most popular machines, but then I still picked out the ones that I like by theme. It is only after playing a machine that you can really tell. So moral of the story, play as many different machines as you can. I had dismissed White Water until I played it, same with The Walking Dead and LOTR - Now I'm convinced. Machines are popular for a reason, but having said that - I have played some less popular titles and found them to be exciting. Only time will tell though especially once you own a machine. If it's too easy and not very deep gameplay you may get bored, games need to be hard. Modern games have lots of options to make then easier or harder - all games can be set to play harder with a steeper incline. Whatever games you are lucky to own should be played and played. My old paragon is a simple game with no real depth but it is as hard as hell and so keeps me very interested. At present I prefer it over Star Trek Pro. I've (hopefully) just bought my first EM machine. The attraction here is two-fold - Firstly I want to understand how EM machines work and get into the maintenance side, but secondly I have played quote a few EM's and I have found that I really like the simplicity of them. I was talking to a very expeerienced pinhead at the weekend, he was explaining that there are different types of machines that suit different types of players - e.g. 'flow players' who like the game to keep the ball moving as much as possible vs. 'stop start' players who like to trap the ball and decide on the best shot depending on the current game conditions. I found this an interesting idea. Not even sure what type of player I am yet........

It starts of with a broad theme ( space/horror/fantasy/rock bands/sports/gambling/superheroes/hit movies ), and/or a date period, then you add another theme, then you expand the date period, both up and down from the original values you set, here you might add a 3rd theme because you realise 2 themes are just not enough, then a few real oddballs sneak into the collection just because you fancied them, you mix that with some you've just bought for the gameplay, then you expand the date range again to 1932 and infinity and forget about the theme alltogether as by this stage you are pretty much set on owning every pinball machine ever made. :sad: :rolleyes: :tut:

Last edited:
I'm a total sucker for nostalgia. If theres a game i played loads as a kid i tend to want to own it even if the theme/gameplay sucks. A local pool bar used to have an Elvis and me and my dad would play it most days. The theme does nothing for me but if i see one now i need to play it just to tickle the nostalgia. Thats part of the reason why i ended up with a JY

The game I really remember from when I was a kid was Baywatch. I'd dearly love to find a really minty one today but I rarely see them

I'm realising the themes dont mean much - yesterday at the Northern Pinball league I played games never played before and would have instantly dismissed, but I found them different and enjoyable - World Poker Tour, Aerosmith, The Shadow all offered me something new. Even quite liked 24 as well. It has shown me that you should never dis a game until you've played it.

I'm realising the themes dont mean much - yesterday at the Northern Pinball league I played games never played before and would have instantly dismissed, but I found them different and enjoyable - World Poker Tour, Aerosmith, The Shadow all offered me something new. Even quite liked 24 as well. It has shown me that you should never dis a game until you've played it.
Great attitude to have. Be open to ANY game (except Bugs Bunny’s Birthday Bōllocks).
That WPT you played yesterday used to be mine. I bought it on a whim as my first Stern. I loved the gameplay. It opened my eyes to playing any game and making my own mind up on whether I like it.
When I got CSI I had never played it before either and that turned out to be good fun too. I regret selling it to buy Batman The Dark Knight.

You eventually cross the Rubicon; you'll play it all in the end. I still believe that a top-notch implementation of a theme is what pushes a great game over the edge into masterpiece territory - but notice I also said 'implementation of a theme' instead of just 'theme'. I couldn't give a monkeys about Game of Thrones (never tried to watch it) but I utterly love that game now - I reckon it's brilliant, and just one example.

You know you're over that river when you start remembering games primarily by how the game 'felt' to play than the bloody theme itself!

Well im now the proud owner of both pinball 2000 machines.the rfm is mint anyway with only a few lamps out.The starwars has been a pain but now i have zero faults.replaced many parts inc 40 lamps,3 rollover switchs,light saber transformer,full rubber set and clean,bumper skirts and 1 pull down ring.plus repainting most metal parts inc speaker grill .also new cpu and psu fans,motherbaord and prism board batteries snd new t moulding plus more.its took a month but most of that was waiting for parts.anyway im happy now it looks like its out tge box.

Im finding this site hard.there is no tab saying post new or any lists in forums to post on.it seems you just reply to exising topics.so how do you get on.thanks

Im finding this site hard.there is no tab saying post new or any lists in forums to post on.it seems you just reply to exising topics.so how do you get on.thanks
Click on FORUMS , then select the subcategory you want to post under, for example machines for sale, then a POST NEW THREAD button should be visible.

Done what you said but still i can only get like new posts,and featured posts etc,cant see the option to post myself.
What device are you using Simon? Using the desktop version of the website it should go like this....

1) Click FORUMS
2) Click the category you want to post in ( in this example GENERAL PINBALL DISCUSSION )
15.jpg

3) Click POST NEW THREAD
16.jpg

Admin, not sure why this question was asked here, maybe these few posts need moving somewhere else?

Back
Top Bottom