What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The "Today I received" Thread

Ruddy heck, @TYHO! Are you on speed or something? You're a posting machine at the moment! 116 posts according to the homepage stats - more than double the 51 posts from @replicas!

Ruddy heck, @TYHO! Are you on speed or something? You're a posting machine at the moment! 116 posts according to the homepage stats - more than double the 51 posts from @replicas!

Just in the "pinball zone"

before I go into meltdown at the NLP!!

BTW did ya see my post re you wanting to sell one of the lamp boards?

Off eBay i take it? I forgot about these :(
What Williams board is it?
Right. The Williams board is a 1B-2001-131-2 DRIVER BOARD which according to Pin Wiki was used across System 3 to 7. It was the same in System 3-6 with the only change for System 7 being 8 zero-Ohm resistors on the switch matrix inputs. Looking closely at the board I've got these have been replaced with wire links so I don't know what was there originally. I'm assuming this wasn't originally a System 7 era driver board and someone put the wire links in for the same reason Williams spec'd the zero-Ohm resistors.

There are quite a few components missing, mainly transistors. Nothing looks frazzled. Maybe the logic chips are dead or some untraceable fault so someone started using it as a donor for spare parts?

My plan for this box of boards was to get at least 1 MPU, 1 SOLENOID/REGULATOR and 1 LAMP DRIVER working as spares (my three Bally pins all share the same MPU and the SOLENOID/REGULATOR and LAMP DRIVER boards would both fit PARAGON or VECTOR). As it turns out one of the MPU boards is from a PARAGON so I've got a spare set or original ROMs (nice!) and it looks as though the SOUND BOARD might have been from a PARAGON too (it's an AS-2518-50).

The Rottendog rectifier board was a surprise bonus, as was the seemingly brand new Alltek Lamp Driver. Doesn't look like there's anything wrong with either! The rectifier I'll keep spare for PARAGON. I'll check the Alltek Lamp Driver and the Bally AUX LAMP DRIVER work in VECTOR.

Other than that my plan was to test and repair as much of everything else as I can and then offer them to the community here at a reasonable price to help cover the purchase price and maybe a few quid towards my PARAGON and GOLD BALL restorations.

Obviously, the Williams board is of bugger all use to me, so how does a fiver plus £2.78 postage via myHermes sound? First refusal to @abaxas as he PM'd me about it before I worked out what it was.

Williams Driver Board 001.JPG

Williams Driver Board 002.JPG

wanna sell a lamp driver board?
Hi @TYHO. Yeah, I was just getting to you :p Happy to sell one of the LAMP DRIVER boards. As I mentioned in my previous post I would like to keep one spare for myself and then test and repair the other 3 to help cover the job-lot price and maybe have a few nuggets towards my restoration. Rest assured they'll be priced for "the community" and below eBay averages ;)

If the Alltek Lamp Driver works I'll keep that in my VECTOR as it's ready to go for powering LEDs without any modifications and I want to convert VECTOR to LED. If it's good I'll definitely have a known-good AS-2518-23 LAMP DRIVER board.

I'm after a few Bally boards. A mpu and a solenoid driver board at least. Will need to check if I need anything else.

Keep me in mind when your sorted and selling..

Cheers
Ian

Blimey! The postman's had a busy week!

Seems to be all working. Think they forgot to put the spare tips in, but I suspect they just copied and pasted the blurb from the Maplin website onto the eBay listing. It does have the nice 0.8mm fine tip which is what I'll use anyway. Heats up ruddy fast!

image.jpg

As per title a thread for all the shiny new stuff you get through the post or otherwise..

I'll kick it off with these:

ecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_41444FhfX1L._SX300_.jpg

Now half price at maplins (£4.50) fill yer boots :)

Today I received sod all, my medusa is still circling the country in the scarlet pimpernels Luton :-(. Think its on its 2nd lap.

Right. The Williams board is a 1B-2001-131-2 DRIVER BOARD which according to Pin Wiki was used across System 3 to 7. It was the same in System 3-6 with the only change for System 7 being 8 zero-Ohm resistors on the switch matrix inputs. Looking closely at the board I've got these have been replaced with wire links so I don't know what was there originally. I'm assuming this wasn't originally a System 7 era driver board and someone put the wire links in for the same reason Williams spec'd the zero-Ohm resistors.

There are quite a few components missing, mainly transistors. Nothing looks frazzled. Maybe the logic chips are dead or some untraceable fault so someone started using it as a donor for spare parts?

Hi, Peter

Is there anything decipherable on the 2nd white label, just below the vertically mounted PIA chip? If there was, that would show what game it originally belonged to; the last two digits on the label would coincide with those of the Williams model number, so, f'example '20096' would indicate Gorgar (#496), or ###02 would be Cosmic Gunfight (#502).

The board's missing all the lamp matrix row and column driver transistors, and large wirewound resistors. The solenoid drive section is missing two Darlington transistors.

Hi @TYHO. Yeah, I was just getting to you :p Happy to sell one of the LAMP DRIVER boards. As I mentioned in my previous post I would like to keep one spare for myself and then test and repair the other 3 to help cover the job-lot price and maybe have a few nuggets towards my restoration. Rest assured they'll be priced for "the community" and below eBay averages ;)

If the Alltek Lamp Driver works I'll keep that in my VECTOR as it's ready to go for powering LEDs without any modifications and I want to convert VECTOR to LED. If it's good I'll definitely have a known-good AS-2518-23 LAMP DRIVER board.

lmk down the line mate,or if at NLP and you have been uber quick with them,please bring it

Today I got this in the post.

2014-10-09 21.47.13.jpg

Sorry for the slightly blurry photo - the light isn't the best in the dining room. Huge thanks to Dan for donating his R&B T-shirt to me. I'm not sure i'll wear it - the plan is to get it framed with a few bits of other R&B-related memorabilia that i'm gathering together. It'll eventually end up on the wall in the games room - that's once we have a games room of course. :)

Yeah I've heard his van is knackered. The waiting for the machine I can deal with, it's the complete lack of communication that does my head in.

Is this Martin's Van?

Hi, Peter
Is there anything decipherable on the 2nd white label, just below the vertically mounted PIA chip? If there was, that would show what game it originally belonged to; the last two digits on the label would coincide with those of the Williams model number, so, f'example '20096' would indicate Gorgar (#496), or ###02 would be Cosmic Gunfight (#502).
Barely. The ink is really faded. The last digit is definitely a "5". The one before it has a rounded top and I think it might be a "9" after having a look at photos of other boards. If it does end ###95 then cross-referencing all SS Williams games on IPDB it's from a BLACKOUT, model number 495.

With a round top that second-to-last digit could be 2, 3 or 8. If ###25 then there are no System 3-7 model numbers that match. If ###35 then can't be SPACE SHUTTLE, 535 as that's System 9. If ###85 then could be a System 4 PHOENIX, 485. But looking again I'm sure I see a 9 and not an 8.

Another little bag of goodies :) This time some 22-pin DIL sockets for the U8 5101 SRAMs on Bally MPUs. Bit hard to get hold of as 0.4" pitch is an unusual width for a big 22-pin chip. Little chips are 0.3" and bigger ones, like the 24-pin ROMs on Bally MPUs are 0.6".

image.jpg

Last edited:
Not wanting to spend money needlessly has never been a bad thing in my view. ;-)

I only spend over the odds when I really have little option.

Back
Top Bottom