What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Munsters... (or not? [emoji6])

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
FATF probably wouldn't be a top seller as Stern's target demographic are too old.
But, it would attract new players on location for sure.
You can't make 10 movies of basically the same thing, if the audience numbers aren't massive!

But they do Guardians of the Galaxy? Admittedly the worst selling game they’ve done recently. Aerosmith? Hmm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This will have been a cheap license for sure. Unless a miracle happens on code this game is going to be scary from a onwards sale POV and given the current code version is at 0.90 that puts me off a lot - so much so I’ve held of buying the game. As with every game go play it.

"Its the one to get folks!" and "Stern's best in a long time" or "you wont want to miss this one" !

Code is everything, B66 was utter junk when it came out now it's amazing.

Fast & Furious is tosh.

This.

If you don’t think FATF is a doable theme, go watch 3 episodes of the munsters and tell me if you think it’s good - it hasn’t aged well, it lasted only two seasons. I bet if it was not already listed and I said munsters as a theme nobody would think that’s a great idea. Who here on this forum can hand on heart say that munsters was their dream theme?!

Just watched 3 episodes last night and absolutely loved it. I was just telling Bethamari how well it has aged too.

Anyway, nonsense aside, Munsters to me is a throwaway fun, comedy/retro theme which suits pinball. No one has said they’ve been hoping for this exact license to happen so I’m really not sure what your point is. My dream theme would be a Gleaming the Cube or Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater pinball machine but can’t see that happening :(

While on the other hand if I had to list some themes which are so offensively tacky and bland that I would hate to see make it as a machine then I would have had FATF right near the very top. It’s drivel for people who like mainstream **** like X Factor.

But they do Guardians of the Galaxy? Admittedly the worst selling game they’ve done recently. Aerosmith? Hmm.

GOTG they completely messed up the launch.
Code was shocking, the LE trim went down like a lead balloon, sales were poor.
They then added songs because they had no choice.
As other manufacturers have discovered, if you miss the hype window, it's tough to recover.
POTC might be a great game, don't know, but it already feels like an old game due to showing it a year early!

Got to agree with the F@F pin. Would make mega money for ops regardless of the game. You just have to look at the company Raw Thrills. They make utter crap racing games that are all neon and no go. Cost about 20k to buy but they are everywhere.
The local bowling alley near me told me his racing game was consistently making a few hundred quid every weekend for him.
Christ, even a fooked Sega rally makes decent cash still.

So stick Vin diesel and the Rock on a translite and you can start counting your millions.
You just need to look at the slot machines now. I used to love a bandit when it had a cool game to play on it. But now it's all digital, no extra stuff and they only differ from a theme point of view.
I think people still believe Stern are a company who exists because they love Pinball. They are a business. They will do anything to make money. Don't they have like 9 coders now. That's a hell of a paycheck before you even pay the minimum wage folk on the line.
I could definitely see more child themes appearing in the future. Especially if Toy story does well.
Much easier for a dad to convince his wife for a pin, if his son loves to watch it because it's Lego movie themed.

Much easier for a dad to convince his wife for a pin, if his son loves to watch it because it's Lego movie themed.
We're all on about how themes might get more people into pinball but then still posts like this assuming that everyone buying them is a guy who needs to get sign off from his wife.

This.

Just watched 3 episodes last night and absolutely loved it. I was just telling Bethamari how well it has aged too.

Anyway, nonsense aside, Munsters to me is a throwaway fun, comedy/retro theme which suits pinball. No one has said they’ve been hoping for this exact license to happen so I’m really not sure what your point is. My dream theme would be a Gleaming the Cube or Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater pinball machine but can’t see that happening :(

While on the other hand if I had to list some themes which are so offensively tacky and bland that I would hate to see make it as a machine then I would have had FATF right near the very top. It’s drivel for people who like mainstream **** like X Factor.

Don’t you drive a Nissan? LOL [emoji23]

Yikes! Canned laugh and copies of classic comedy from the 30s? Okaaay!

My point is that there is no one thing that decides if a game sells well. But one thing that definitely doesn’t help- if the game is ****e - it tends to do very badly, right now Munsters is ****e!

Phil says the same about batman which I can see his point but batman had lots of things to hit- there is nothing to hit on munsters. Hopefully the code can sort it but I’m not too optimistic about it. I think munsters will probably be ok on location though where the non pinhead punter doesn’t care so much.

Cheers,
Neil

We're all on about how themes might get more people into pinball but then still posts like this assuming that everyone buying them is a guy who needs to get sign off from his wife.

Beth is usually the one spotting pinballs for sale and has to get my sign off on it :cool:

You admitted you were wrong and ARE being ridiculed for it :p A few correct predictions and you will be back on track :thumbs:

Nah, I don’t mind being wrong - it’s how you learn from your mistakes - my approach to things has done me ok and I think I gave up caring about what people thought when I was about 8.

Pinball is a hobby; not going to lose sleep over being wrong on that. I pity the folks who are in the trade though relying upon crap like the munsters to bay the bills.

I never said every one buying them is that. But the reality is, beyond this little bubble on this forum, owning a pinball machine is something the rich and famous did. It is perfectly acceptable to have several machines here but if you stopped a random person in the street and told them you had 40k worth of toys in your house then they would think you are mad.
There's two types of wealth in this world that society deems acceptable. Big houses and new cars. People have no problem borrowing thousands to own both. But can't get their head around anything else.
Unfortunately the same can be said for some families . If your partner is involved in your hobby then I am happy for you. Hell, even jealous. But for every man who has that, there's 6 of us having to tell white lies about how much things cost ?
God help us if we die and my things are sold for what I told my wife I paid for them.

If your partner is involved in your hobby then I am happy for you. Hell, even jealous. But for every man who has that, there's 6 of us having to tell white lies about how much things cost ?
My point was that there's a couple of posts that pop up assuming everyone on here is a guy. I'm not. I am the wife!

If we're on about getting new people into the hobby, then trying to not assume everyone is the same or male would be a good start.

Not having a go at you personally, just an observation! :)

My point was that there's a couple of posts that pop up assuming everyone on here is a guy. I'm not. I am the wife!

If we're on about getting new people into the hobby, then trying to not assume everyone is the same or male would be a good start.

The thing is - like it or not, you and your husband represent the exception, not the rule. My fiancée is supportive of the hobby, knows exactly how much the games cost and will even come on long journeys with me to collect machines. We have limited space living in fairly central London and she’s even happy to have one of our three bedrooms filled with five machines... but she just isn’t interested in them in the slightest. She may play a game every couple of months but apart from that she just doesn’t engage with pinball on any level, and this perspective (or worse) seems to be common.

I take comments such as having to ask permission for a certain game or theme to be slightly tongue-in-cheek the majority of the time, but for many couples, especially with limited incomes, a big ticket purchase like a pinball machine requires some degree of negotiation or agreement if one partner isn’t invested to the same degree. I personally don’t need ‘sign off’ because we don’t have children and we have enough disposable income that purchases like this don’t put a strain on our finances, but I can certainly see how a husband who wants a new machine, but also has a young child and a wife who isn’t interested in pinball may find it easier to get agreement for a theme like WoZ or Toy Story as opposed to Walking Dead or Rob Zombie.

It’s honestly great that you and your partner are both deeply invested in pinball by all available metrics, but that’s a fairly unusual scenario. Let’s face it - hobbies that revolve around big ‘toys’ are generally fairly dominated by men. I honestly don’t understand why, but it’s just the way it seems to be. I don’t think that anyone here prefers it to be this way, or would purposely try to make women feel unwelcome, but looking at the gender split on a forum such as this it’s generally fair to assume that most posters are male because, well, they are. Personally I’d love it if the hobby was equally popular with women but most of my female friends just roll their eyes when I say I’ve got a new game, whereas the guys are always keen to check it out. Sure, there are some exceptions - but not many.

Haha, I knew this from previous posts but it didn't click what you meant. I know what you mean though. I suppose it's natural to assume that. For myself it is less about male/female but the majority of people assuming pinball players are a certain age (over 50) which is of course not the case.

I think to progress Pinball further in the masses it will require a load of assumptions and hope some catch on.
It's quite amusing seeing someone like Jack Danger, who is Mr Pinball, only having 20k followers on twitch. As I saw someone just eating sweets and he had a million subs.
There's no reason why Pinball can't be as huge as the Fighting game scene or Cod championships. Just needs the right marketing.
A more friendly or popular theme can certainly help in that direction

There's no reason why Pinball can't be as huge as the Fighting game scene or Cod championships. Just needs the right marketing.

Met some friends & took the kids 10pin bowling earlier today. The alley has a little arcade so I asked the guy behind the counter if they ever had Pinball in. He said no, because it’s all done by a company so they don’t have any say, but that he “would ****ing love a Pinball machine”.

If he knew how much they can cost, and how much maintenance they can sometimes be, he might not have been so positive. But there’s definitely an untapped market/audience out there.

How many under 20's have heard of a pinball machine. Never mind the theme.

Not many. But what surprises me is how interested they are when you introduce them. Something mechanical and real is the antithesis of the touchscreen iPad generation, which I suppose is the fascination.

My nephews, who I have only just recently turned on to pinball, are now seeking out pinball museums when travelling with their folks through Budapest (looks amazing BTW). They are more interested in finding the pins I have told them about (like creech) rather than being drawn to more recognisable themes. Hell, they didn't even know who the Ghostbusters were, but absolutely loved that game on location when we went and played it at four Quarters in London. For them it was all about having 'things to do' on the table.

I think munsters will probably be ok on location though where the non pinhead punter doesn’t care so much.
I was in Tilt for about 6hrs yesterday, Munsters was the least played machine of all of the ones on the ground floor - hell I only played it to see what it was like, then continued only to take the GC spot. It just wasn't fun to play. Herman looks absolutely awful and will be a candidate for a new paint job by @RudeDogg1 .
People were queueing to play Beatles, not just the normal pinball players, noobs, because it looked more fun - that's without the sound/music turned up as high as it would be in a home environment.

Back
Top Bottom