What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Munsters... (or not? [emoji6])

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
Nobody was hoping for another TAF!
All I heard for the last year was how everyone wanted a Taf remake but it was never gonna happen due to licensing. So what is another creepy horror themed family we can use.
Up until the pics were leaked of the playfield, I think everyone was secretly hoping for a Taf style game.

I think the code does look basic but who says it has to be compared to every other stern game?Why does it need to be as thought out as Maiden?
I think some people forget that not everyone can buy every game that comes out. So maybe there's a market for a simpler game. They obviously thought there's a market for the Beatles.
Since Munsters is a fan layout, if you aren't interested in a simpler game then I'm sure there will be another 2 with different themes along very shortly.

Oh the actual TAF remake is coming but probably not the next CGC game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 Playfields in action at the same time is tricky - with lots of balls out it is generally just mayhem and luck ...... however when you get down to say a couple of balls and can exercise some control by catching one etc then it becomes real skill.

Popeye utilises it during the 'Item Multiball' - 4 ball multi, during which you need to get a ball up on to the mini playfield and make a shot to Swee Pea, and a shot to Wimpy ....whilst still dealing with balls on the main playfield. It's b*stard tricky but can be very satisfying when you do get a handle on it.

Munsters sounds like 2 multiballs running at same time - and of course the playfields are completely seperated. So a bit different.

World Poker Tour has something similar with the mode change gears with shots on the lower and upper playfield increasing rapidly.

Successful sortie to EAG yesterday - had a great afternoon. Superb lineup of games on the Pinball Heaven stand. Good to see @bartron @Pinballsurgery @mufcmufc @robotgreg @mission65 @Tilt_Birmingham @Dave Bishop @Mike Parkins and others :thumbs:

so ......

The Munsters ..........massively underwhelmed I'm sorry to report. As others have said ...uninspiring layout, mini playfield is basically Stewie 2.0 but oddly feels less enjoyable. Ifound the Premium looked far less striking in real life - I thought the Black And White looked really sharp in photos ..but in real life with all the colour inserts - it just seemed far less 'wow'. I think this is Sterns weakest game in some time :confused:

Thunderbirds - surprisingly enjoyable. Decent game, if Thunderbirds is your thing you would be well chuffed with it. Interested me way more than Munsters.

JJP POTC - looks incredible, played nicely. I really enjoyed it. The playfield layout is fantastic. Not sure the spinning disc serves much purpose now though. Usual JJP clusterf*ck/confusing rules but as a home game would be ace.

The Beatles ! Oh boy ...this was toppermost of the poppermost as the fab four would say. Lovely art package, the game plays beautifully on a tweaked classic layout. It was just fun fun fun old skool pinball fun ! I would gladly have one ....if the price wasn't so eyewatering :thumbs::thumbs:

Oh and Atari Pong .... boy was that disappointing. It looks stunning but plays like SH*T. The 'ball' movement and hit registering is so flaky. At times it seems to swerve off straight. The whole feel is just wrong. The look on mine and @Will face was a picture as we sat at it.

Anyway ...Beatles ftw for me ! With POTC close second :thumbs:

thumbnail_DSC_1370.jpg

Wasn't even there but agree with your views!

POTC for home use, probably has a ton of staying power. And you probably need a year or two to understand the rules;)

Beatles - it just looks fun:p

But it is so over-priced. Even the USA price of $7999 ( £6200 ) is super high. They can get a Munsters Pro for $5400 ( £4200 ).

Sarge - can you think code can solve the munsters problems?

Sarge - can you think code can solve the munsters problems?

Code can always solve problems.
Look at TWD and BM66;)
The only issue is that they are Lyman.
This is Dwight so seems very unlikely there will be major changes going forward, especially as Stern had to increase LE's to 600!

Good to hear your thoughts Sarge.
It's funny as I remember reading somewhere about how old Thunderbirds felt due to the simple objectives. Proper bashing it. It was a long the lines of "a mode isn't just hitting the same target 4 times".
Fast forward to the Jack danger stream, Dwight is like "hit lillly 4 times, that's that mode done. Hit Spot 4times,that's that mode done" Haha.

Can't remember a pin in recent memory that has had such massively contrasting views.

The hype for Munsters has been ridiculous. As said previously no one was talking about Munsters before the announcement, then after it was as if Stern answered everyone's prayers.

I watched some streams and wondered what all the fuss was about, and thought it seemed very linear. Was starting to think I was taking crazy pills because on Pinside you'd be forgiven for thinking it was the second coming.

I'm not surprised at the lower than expected opinions of those that have played it, the second I realized the lower playfield was mini pinball any excitement I had for the machine evaporated.

I kind of got the general vibe in this thread from just watching the stream where the rules were explained. Game looks flat. So erm.... What's Sterns next game? Also, Beatles is cool af but it's a standard Stern game with a couple of grand whacked on the price, I'm out

I liked the look of the game, the mini playfield was a let down.
I hope the code improves this game, I know Dwight wanted an easier game for non-pinheads to be able to get quite far, but it is too easy.

The ramp shots are satisfying, feels like hitting SM Ramps.

I was there yesterday too with the chaps above and have to pretty much agree with the sarge on this one.
The Munsters art is great, video screen and clips/integration also great, layout is ok. Having the he Pro and premium next to eachother was great to compare and after playing both a few times, I tended to gravitate to the pro.

The lower playfield is pointless and really stops the flow of the game. Code will improve it but by how much is the question. It seemed very easy. The ramps were very good.

Beatles - had a great time on this but not sure it has the longevity of a rules/mode game.

Munsters looking good for ops then...

Munsters was “ ok “
Was blown away by the pictures of the Prem when they came out , in the flesh it was very underwhelming.
The beetles was solid fun lovely game , would have had one of these at the usuall price point , but at the current price it’s never gonna happen.
POTC was great as well , with my current hard on for TH I am thinking this could well be the next game , but not until I beat the hobbit so in about four yeah :)
As Ivan said Pong was shocking was so excited to see it and oh my god what a pile of ?.
Also what the bloody hell have stern done with their stupid oversized stand up targets :tut::tut:
So now no need for any kind of skill just bash the huge target and move onto spot the next letter ..
14C51C27-9501-4C8C-9AFB-CA495D9A52D9.jpeg

Rubbish idea....

Munsters was “ ok “
Was blown away by the pictures of the Prem when they came out , in the flesh it was very underwhelming.
The beetles was solid fun lovely game , would have had one of these at the usuall price point , but at the current price it’s never gonna happen.
POTC was great as well , with my current hard on for TH I am thinking this could well be the next game , but not until I beat the hobbit so in about four yeah :)
As Ivan said Pong was shocking was so excited to see it and oh my god what a pile of ?.
Also what the bloody hell have stern done with their stupid oversized stand up targets :tut::tut:
So now no need for any kind of skill just bash the huge target and move onto spot the next letter ..
View attachment 77888

Rubbish idea....
But, it saves $5 per game....;)

So now no need for any kind of skill just bash the huge target and move onto spot the next letter ..Rubbish idea....

Stern cost cutting at its best! It's not enough to remove drop targets to save money, now they've discovered a way to replace 4 or 5 standups with 2 joined together!

Munsters looking good for ops then...

... except for the theme. Who under 40 has any idea of The Munsters ? I'm heading towards 50 and I feel it wasn't exactly my generations thing :rolleyes: Isn't it the theory that a licenced theme will attract punters who may otherwise have little interest in a pin. Be better off with massive theme like Star Wars, Ghostbusters etc

I think code wise, the least that could be done is make the player finish the modes to complete munster madness level 2. I know he said you have to do more to start them, but to get to madness without actually finishing them is....... Madness.

I see why he has made it easier for the average Joe in a pub to get to level 1 though.

Really enjoyed playing munsters pro for a couple of hours at the show.
Great fun to shoot and the simpler rules were a refreshing change from some of the recent Stern offerings while still having good depth and risk reward strategies.
Will definitely help make pinball more approachable for the general public and gives them a chance of feeling like they have achieved something for a few quid vs being totally confused as what to do or shoot for (we see this on a daily basis at Chief)
Lighting, display and sounds were also top notch. Can’t wait for our pro to arrive!

... except for the theme. Who under 40 has any idea of The Munsters ? I'm heading towards 50 and I feel it wasn't exactly my generations thing :rolleyes: Isn't it the theory that a licenced theme will attract punters who may otherwise have little interest in a pin. Be better off with massive theme like Star Wars, Ghostbusters etc

I'm baffled by the theme choice too. If they made a list of all the licences available in order of cost I would imagine Star Wars is at the top, Beatles not far off, and Munsters very close to the bottom.

If it sells more than Star Wars then maybe they won't bother spending a fortune on theme in the future. (Hey Gary I hear the Cosby Show is going cheap :sad:).

I'm baffled by the theme choice too. If they made a list of all the licences available in order of cost I would imagine Star Wars is at the top, Beatles not far off, and Munsters very close to the bottom.

If it sells more than Star Wars then maybe they won't bother spending a fortune on theme in the future. (Hey Gary I hear the Cosby Show is going cheap :sad:).

Theme is not necessarily key to a game being enjoyed and played heavily on location.
For example Medieval Madness and Cactus Canyon consistently week in week out earn great for us. They are fun, easy to understand and loved games that have stood the test of time.
Star Wars on the other hand did earn well for us but not close to MM or CC. Sold our SW pro last year

Last edited:
Theme is not necessarily key to a game being enjoyed and played heavily on location.
For example Medieval Madness and Cactus Canyon consistently week in week out earn great for us. They are fun, easy to understand and loved games that have stood the test of time.
Star Wars on the other hand did earn well for us but not close to MM or CC. Sold our SW pro earlier this year

This is interesting. I wonder if the same applies to home sales? If so, why are they even bothering with these half baked licenses?

What exactly is the ratio of home v operator sales? I was under the assumption that home sales were overtaking operator or is that only on the Premium/LE versions?

I think Stern have marketed the Munsters cleverly on the assumption that the people of a certain age who have lots of disposable income i.e. me @ 57yr old not only remember the show as a child but the theme tune, sound bytes & video snippets just draw you in!

I haven’t yet played the munsters yet but have been hyped like many pinheads so will probably head down Tilt and feed the Munster (pun intended) the last stern I bought was a ST LE and I have still not had one of sterns newer LCD Pins which I will probably get after my MBr LE arrives unless I find a nice TH Smaug that is.

I’ve also yet to play IM, Met, DP & BM66, but did quite enjoy SW & GOTG when I was last down Tilt but TBH I personally find it hard to get a feel for a pin without spending a couple of hrs on it. Being a 6hr round trip, a hundred quid + train journey and full time dad with school duties makes this even harder.

Someone needs to cater for the real northerners up here on the NE coast or Newcastle area lol

Last edited:
I’m 36! Munsters finished 14yrs or more before I was born! Used to watch it with my Dad, along with all the other stuff
Original Star Trek, Addams Family, Man from UNCLE, The Saint, Original Avengers(Purdy & Steed) , Starsky & Hutch, A-Team... my god why has an A-Team pin not been done.

I imagine that it is like music, children raised listening to their parents music and so on. (My 5yr Old goes round the house singing Queen Another one bites the dust! )

Back
Top Bottom