What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Munsters... (or not? [emoji6])

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
A true world under glass there, yeah baby!

I wonder if this would be the premium version if released today ?

...what happens when Lyman retires? Do we stop buying Stern games? I completely agree with your sentiment, but it's not a sustainable way forward.
Unless they replace Lyman with someone of equal talent and dedication I’ll probably stop buying Stern. I’m already pretty much at that point due to price anyway, 10k for an LE is my limit and even then it has to be pretty damn special to get my coin.

Sterns LEs have really been lacking of recent when it comes to extras, Munsters LE has probably the worst art out of the 3, some upgraded speakers - something most of us do anyway, inner cabinet art - that looks like the terrible 3rd parties ones made for TAF with all the photo frames, Sterns HD glass and other then being limited what are you getting over the premium for an extra £1k?

LE for me if we can hopefully get in on the PH order. Love the recent Stern LEs too, even the GotG LE which seems to have a bit of hate from a couple of folks on here (persobally i think the machine and cab is a stunning work of art and find the "magnet LOL" comments on here a bit odd and immature).

On the subject of theme I couldn't care to be honest (I've had Metallica, Iron Maiden and ACDC yet i'm really not a fan of the music yet I adore those machines), for me it's just another new proper Stern pinball so I'm happy to spend my hardearned. I remember the Munsters quite fondly too so being the fan of the theme is a bonus.

The B&W premium looks amazing too but it didn't quite swing it for me.

Last edited:
Dwight explains the rules on this video. On the premium.

Seems like you do all the modes to get to Munster Madness and then move onto level 2 and do it again, but with higher scoring and a few tweaks.

Scoring is fairly linear, with not much stacking, except the super jackpots which can be stacked.

4 flippers needed when you have lower and upper p/f mb running together!

Dwight explains the rules on this video. On the premium.

Seems like you do all the modes to get to Munster Madness and then move onto level 2 and do it again, but with higher scoring and a few tweaks.

Scoring is fairly linear, with not much stacking, except the super jackpots which can be stacked.

4 flippers needed when you have lower and upper p/f mb running together!

Rules wise it seemed pretty deep and far along to me. Similar feel to game of thrones , so complex rule set where each major character/mode/house effects whats going on and the other features active at that time. Multi-layered. Sounded good to me. Those bashing dwights coding ability have obviously never played a lonnie code game on release... GB will get its update, patience :)

Also nice explanation as to why the ball save is defaulted to off. The herman multiball is easy to get to begin with so you dont need a ball save.

LE for me if we can hopefully get in on the PH order. Love the recent Stern LEs too, even the GotG LE which seems to have a bit of hate from a couple of folks on here (persobally i think the machine and cab is a stunning work of art and find the "magnet LOL" comments on here a bit odd and immature).

no hate, we were just pointing out the reasons why the GOTG LE hasn't sold out, i.e. its just not valuable, the only LE not to sell out in over two years (even Star Wars and Aerosmith sold out!). The upside from this is that Gary Stern noted that they learned a lot from GOTG in that they need to consider more the core elements of a theme, sound etc and the value of the Premium and LE. Stern noted that when there is more hype on the LE they sell more overall. But if you are happy then that's all that counts. I personally think GOTG was a turning point for stern in many ways, they totally ballsed up the release of the game with no music or actors from the movie, something they realised they had to fix and they at least put the music in. I went to see the launch of GOTG in Florida such was my love of this theme, and it was so crap it put me off buying the machine, the code was unbelievably basic and the response on the lack of music really caught Stern out. Its important that when something isn't what it should be that you say so that's why there is music in the game now because people said, WTF? I don't think GOTG LE is what it should be and I'm saying WTF so that other LE's have more value.

Neil.

agree on that explanation of the rules - a lot clearer now, and the one thing I took away from that is the Pre/LE is absolutely the way to go from a depth POV.

Watched about 15 minutes of Dwight explaining the rules. Seems a super nice guy incidentally. @Neil McRae Why does the lower play field add depth? Because Munster Madness has both play fields going at once? How does what you shoot on the lower one affect the upper? Also, What happens beyond level 2? Is there just the one wizard mode?

It sounded like there was a lot of interaction on the final part of the mode and munster madness to me but just watched it again agree you don't lose anything from the depth or the modes just grandpa's lab is a multi ball on the pro. But I think the lower Playfield has more to it than folks have give it credit for I think.

Neil.

I did like the double skill shot where you have to hit the scoop and then hit a shot on the lower pf, very cool. Not sure if the lower play field will be all that much fun long term though

I did like the double skill shot where you have to hit the scoop and then hit a shot on the lower pf, very cool. Not sure if the lower play field will be all that much fun long term though
I think that's the breaker - take that away and you have just A.N.Other very familiar looking Stern layout. Albeit in a gorgeous art package.

Aerosmith sold about 100 le it certainly did not sell out
Neil you really need to stop listening to the bull**** people are telling you
When stern say they have sold out it just means the distributors have been forced to take them if you look hard enough you can find any le you want
Have a word with John at electrocoin and see how many Beatles he is stuck with with that he didn’t want

Looks like must buy for me. Honestly the only thing better would be the original black and white Flash Gordon as a theme.

How? Get the box set, for some reason the UK box set doesn't have the full theme music. Awesome show
Ah I just checked and it was first shown in UK on the BBC 1985/6 - that was peak Commodore 64 era for me, so straight home from school, games loading [emoji3] So I don't think I was watching much kids TV at that time.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Aerosmith sold about 100 le it certainly did not sell out
Neil you really need to stop listening to the bull**** people are telling you
When stern say they have sold out it just means the distributors have been forced to take them if you look hard enough you can find any le you want
Have a word with John at electrocoin and see how many Beatles he is stuck with with that he didn’t want

Chris,

If you phone Stern ask for an Aerosmith LE, iron maiden LE, beatles diamond, batman 66, Deadpool LE - even a freaking Star Wars LE they say sorry sold out.

If you phone stern and ask for a GOTG LE they say “hell yes” I’ve got ten ready to go. If the CEO of the company tells me it did badly at an event I tend to think he might not be bull****ting me! The reason they did so much more with the code on GOTG and Aerosmith wasn’t out of the goodness of their hearts it was in hope it would revitalise sales much in the same way code did that for Batman ‘66 - from what your saying I’d guess from pressure of distributors with warehouses full of unsold LEs!

When I spoke to John he told me he bought a 100 of them and he said he’d shift them no problem!! I raised my eyebrows but at the time I was trying to wangle a loan of a beatles for D2R from him so didn’t want to tell him he was deluded. Apparently he did the same with WWE (?!)

Cheers
Neil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by a moderator:
Sarge, It was peak Amiga time for me, first thing I remember saving up for in my full time job

I think that's the breaker - take that away and you have just A.N.Other very familiar looking Stern layout. Albeit in a gorgeous art package.

A familiar pinball layout! - there are only so many combinations of shots you can have!

Ah I just checked and it was first shown in UK on the BBC 1985/6 - that was peak Commodore 64 era for me, so straight home from school, games loading [emoji3] So I don't think I was watching much kids TV at that time.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Same here - sometimes I’ll hear a song from that time that I haven’t heard. The whole era was a blur other than the ocean downloaded music!

Chris,

If you phone Stern ask for an Aerosmith LE, iron maiden LE, beatles diamond, batman 66, Deadpool LE - even a freaking Star Wars LE they say sorry sold out.

If you phone stern and ask for a GOTG LE they say “hell yes” I’ve got ten ready to go. If the CEO of the company tells me it did badly at an event I tend to think he might not be bull****ting me! The reason they did so much more with the code on GOTG and Aerosmith wasn’t out of the goodness of their hearts it was in hope it would revitalise sales much in the same way code did that for Batman ‘66 - from what your saying I’d guess from pressure of distributors with warehouses full of unsold LEs!

When I spoke to John he told me he bought a 100 of them and he said he’d shift them no problem!! I raised my eyebrows but at the time I was trying to wangle a loan of a beatles for D2R from him so didn’t want to tell him he was deluded. Apparently he did the same with WWE (?!)

Cheers
Neil.

Wow, 100 eh?
No chance of selling those at the crazy prices they are.
As for GOTGLE - I am not sure who makes decisions for things like the trim, but they lost so many sales by going with the gold/mustard/wwe trim.
Bottom line though is that Stern are comfortably doing enough to stay ahead of the competition.

A familiar pinball layout! - there are only so many combinations of shots you can have!

On a 2 flipper fan layout yes, but add a 3rd or 4th flipper ala Maiden or even the recently revealed Tokyo Drift and you can mix up your layouts.

Gomez said as much when he was explaining/defending his use of the blue rubber nuns at Expo (could be wrong it was the show he was revealing behind the scenes info on Deadpool).

Borg just loves his 2 flipper fan layouts, off the top of my head I can only think of Tron, Frankenstein and Guns & Roses that have more than 2 flippers.

Oh indeed - but there is familiar and then there is 'copy /paste' :) It's reaching a point now with Stern 2 flipper games where the layouts (on many) are so close that theme/art become THE defining factor. I just think it's a shame ...reminds me of Williams late 90s....AFM, MB, MM, CC ...all 2 flipper fans, all to me much less interesting than many of the earlier 90s games.

Bring back subways you cheap b*stards ! That would help mix up designs a bit :D

Such a shame IMHO for Deadpool that the layout is refreshingly different but just something not quite clicking for me on the gameplay, not sure if it's the rules, basic LCD art or minimal modes. Can't quite put my finger on it but despite a great looking layout, not got the fun factor for me as much as other recent Sterns.

On a 2 flipper fan layout yes, but add a 3rd or 4th flipper ala Maiden or even the recently revealed Tokyo Drift and you can mix up your layouts.

Gomez said as much when he was explaining/defending his use of the blue rubber nuns at Expo (could be wrong it was the show he was revealing behind the scenes info on Deadpool).

Borg just loves his 2 flipper fan layouts, off the top of my head I can only think of Tron, Frankenstein and Guns & Roses that have more than 2 flippers.

Yes I was at that show when George talked about it (its on my YT channel :)) I'm not complaining and whist the high level layouts are the same, the detailed geo isn't so a blink of an eye difference in timing still makes a difference in shot success.

There's plenty you can do with a 2 flipper layout. The problem here is a limited build cost. Want a lower playfield? Whats on the top has to reduce. People say they want innovation but bitch when it happens. Take WOF and their lower config.
Unfortunately the only designer who could consistently come up with innovation was Trudeau and he turned out to be a monster.

Back
Top Bottom