What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The difficult second pin...

cyberkryten

Site Supporter
Alias
Martyn
I've lurked here for a while, so, um, hello!

I have a SpiderMan, which was bought mostly by accident when I purchased a pool table. I’ve always wanted a pinball machine, SM was there and matched the theme of the cinema room I was building into the new house perfectly. For years I’ve missed being able to go into arcades and play as so few have pinball any more.

I'm now wondering about adding another machine with a bit of a different feel and started thinking about where to get it, what to get and if I really have the space as the room was really designed with only a single pin in mind. I can probably get rid of the second row of seating as it is hardly ever used.

Anyway, my son is back from Uni and so I took the opportunity to drag him down to the pier amusements in Bournemouth last week. He loves arcades, always has (wonder where he gets that from) so didn’t actually need much persuading (the dragging was mostly to get him out of bed, later afternoon!)

We started with TWD, which we both like as a show. The reputation for this being a hard game seems quite justified though I suspect it wasn’t set quite right, as I can’t believe the feed into the play field from the pop bumpers is meant to be STDM! My son, having grown up gaming in the age of Youtubers is prone to loudly vocalising his gaming rage to no-one in particular and that happened a LOT on TWD.

Anyway, we played about 10 games (having got a couple of matches and both earned a couple of replays). It was hard, but hitting shots was rewarding and a lot of fun and we had a great time working out the rules and which shots were ‘good’ at any given time.

We then moved on to Star Wars. The difference in light show is blinding, to the point of it seeming as if nearly all of the play field was being lit or flashing at any given moment. My first play on a big LCD game and the in-between balls info was useful, but in game it was tough to read (easier with another person telling you). The scoring seems very inflated - a quick drain on ball 1 still rewarding 40mil after what can only have been about 10 seconds of game time. The play field felt a bit empty after TWD’s Well Walker right in the middle but our main issue was that it was hard to figure out what to shoot next - so much was lit/flashing it wasn’t that clear. However being Star Wars, hitting the Death Star and taking out Tie Fighters was fun enough.

Then onto Ghostbusters which was unfortunately setup horribly, not level and tilted to the right. That may have affected our enjoyment but again the rules were unclear and it just wasn’t any fun at all - even bashing the slimer toy was nothing great. 2 games each and we were done.

Creature wouldn’t take cash, so didn’t get to play that.

After a break for a drink, we changed up another 20 quid. A couple more games on Star Wars, but then the rest of it went into TWD - this despite the fact the coin mech was dodgy and it could take 5-10 attempts per coin to get it to register. It was by far the most fun of the games. My son even managed to become Tunnel Mode champion. To continue the theme, we finished off with some time on TWD shooting game they had until it closed (its been a while since they had to throw me out of an arcade at closing)

We spent over 3 hours in the arcade and had a great time, it was fairly busy so ended up staying open later than advertised. I’m not sure how much use the pinball machines get but in the time we were on them, four other people played one game each and left so most of the money was being spent elsewhere, which is a shame.

LoTR when I played it a few months back was good fun, but I’m quite tempted by GoTG as it fits better with the room theme and I assume is an easier purchase than WD/LoTR as I can buy it new rather than trying to find something s/h.

Not really sure what I'm asking, but hello again and any comments welcome :)

Quality cinema room, very jealous!

SM is a great game and one of my all time top 5.

It is a longer playing pin so I would have something a bit more difficult like Ironman or the underrated X-Men if you're happy with superhero themes.

Having LOTR and SM in a two pin line-up would become a bit of a grind imho however two will quickly become three! ;)

Last edited:
I've had 2 LOTR and it's a great game, one of Stern's very best. I'd have another like a shot.

As long as you buy a game for the right price then you can sell it on and basically break even.

If you are new to all this, there is very little chance that the next game you buy will turn out to be a long term hold

If you want old school mechanical tech and nostalgia, buy a 70s em machine like wizard
If you want the most beautiful pinball art, buy a late 70s or early 80s bally like fathom
If you want the best overall game ever made (blend of price, design quality, interesting toys, build quality, art, depth of rules, spares availability) buy a high watermark 90s bally Williams wpc game like twilight zone
If you want a mega deep game with great sound and music buy a modern stern like ac dc

2 options for buying a pin as a relative newcomer to the hobby:

Go NIB from @philpalmer or buy from one of the For Sale posts on here. Steer clear of Ebay, Gumtree etc. etc. until you have a bit more experience in knowing exactly what to look for, and potential pitfalls.

Choosing the next game?
What was it you preferred about TWD over ST?
Was it the look of it, the sound, the theme, or the more intuitive game play (hit the big thing in the middle)?

If it's mostly about the theme go and get TWD, they do come up for sale, but not as often as other machines as they are still very popular.

Get yourself along to some league meets or competitions nearby. You'll get to see a much more varied range of games, and likely in better condition. You're also more likely to make contacts who will have games for sale, trade, or loan.

The other thing to consider is how much are you prepared to lose on a game, if you decide it's not for you and need to sell? If it's not a lot this may take NIB out of the equation.

Plenty to think about, but the most important is that once you go to 2 machines you'll want 3, and so on and so on. You may as well rip the cinema out now ;)

Got to say don’t really watch that many movies now. Have a huge catalog of films to get thru. Projector, surround sound all boxed up. Pins are better as you get your kicks and you don’t need to play them for hours on end..

Got to say don’t really watch that many movies now. Have a huge catalog of films to get thru. Projector, surround sound all boxed up. Pins are better as you get your kicks and you don’t need to play them for hours on end..

Actually that is a good reason why my high-end PC and PS4 Pro kit are sat gathering dust. Most of the major games require so many bloody hours that I just don't find the time, whereas a quick blast on Pinball and I'm more than happy. As a married adult (I just qualify, despite being 51) also running a company and having a pug that won't leave me alone, I just don't have all that many "quality hours" to game these days.

My advice are a relative newbie still, is simple: go and play a few machines. You will be attracted to one more than any other. That's the one to buy.

My advice are a relative newbie still, is simple: go and play a few machines. You will be attracted to one more than any other. That's the one to buy.

One - I'm not sure you understand the meaning of the word :) A bit like me and the word "moderate".

Quality cinema room, very jealous! SM is a great game and one of my all time top 5. It is a longer playing pin so I would have something a bit more difficult like Ironman or the underrated X-Men if you're happy with superhero themes.

Having LOTR and SM in a two pin line-up would become a bit of a grind imho however two will quickly become three! ;)

Thanks, the room is the result of a lot of planning during a complete renovation of the house, it has worked out far better than I could have hoped!

I've not played LOTR much, so useful to know it is similar, thanks. I have a lot of Marvel artwork and other cartoon themes, so X-Men/IM could work. Only ever played one X-Men and I drained constantly, though that may have been poor setup (or related to the level of beer consumption).

As long as you buy a game for the right price then you can sell it on and basically break even.

If you are new to all this, there is very little chance that the next game you buy will turn out to be a long term hold

Good point, thanks. I tend to get attached to things and not sell them on, which does cause some issues (these won't fit in the loft!). I'm guessing transport is a bit of an issue with machines coming/going, they don't really fit in a postbox!

2 options for buying a pin as a relative newcomer to the hobby:

Go NIB from @philpalmer or buy from one of the For Sale posts on here. Steer clear of Ebay, Gumtree etc. etc. until you have a bit more experience in knowing exactly what to look for, and potential pitfalls.

Choosing the next game?
What was it you preferred about TWD over ST?
Was it the look of it, the sound, the theme, or the more intuitive game play (hit the big thing in the middle)?

If it's mostly about the theme go and get TWD, they do come up for sale, but not as often as other machines as they are still very popular.

The other thing to consider is how much are you prepared to lose on a game, if you decide it's not for you and need to sell? If it's not a lot this may take NIB out of the equation.

Plenty to think about, but the most important is that once you go to 2 machines you'll want 3, and so on and so on. You may as well rip the cinema out now ;)

TWD was a lot of fun - figuring out the shots was worthwhile and we both like the show. Star Wars was flashing lights everywhere made it hard to figure the next shot and TBH, I'm not the biggest SW fan anyway (heresy) so the theme doesn't grab me like it does for some. That applies to most of the music pins too - I love music and have been to tons of gigs and festivals, but I'm not a huge metal fan so there's not the draw there either. Now, Prodigy of Foo Fighters pin would be a different story!

I do suspect Phil may be getting a call...

I assume, if buying s/h you just go and play the machine, run switch tests etc and hope its all OK and the seller isn't pretending it is all OK?

As for losing money, I'm assuming I'll keep the machine, so effectively I'll be losing the whole lot - that way I can't be disappointed if I do decide to sell.

Cinema won't be getting ripped out, I love watching films and play Xbox with my son (who is away at Uni). However, I do reckon I can probably get four machines at the back of the room if I totally remove any second row seating options, though the AV guys are already blaming my SM for causing some very strange audio issues and will have kittens if I add that much more reflective glass at the back!

I've watched more films in the year since I had a proper room setup for it than I have in ages just having the projector and screen in the living room. It really makes a huge difference - more of an event and far more cinematic. That said, I've also not watched a few films as I was "just going to have a quick game on SM" whilst everything powered up and then got engrossed!

Well, we went to @Chief at the weekend with the intention of doing exactly that. We started with their GoTG and spent about three hours playing that one game!

By the time we came to play on others, the place was very busy, with loads of others playing (which was great to see), so will have to go back soon to try the other machines.

My son's opinion is to get a GoTG, which gets more weight as he opted to not go and get lunch so we had more time playing (as he's a Uni student, I don't think I can recall a time he ever chose anything at all over me buying him a massive steak!).

Had a play around with seating and I can definitely fit another machine in and still keep the second row seating option by moving things around if is is needed. At a real squeeze, possibly two machines would fit...

I hadn't factored in the delivery time on a new game, as so much stuff is buy-it-now-arrive-tomorrow these days, but looking at June/July for a GoTG LE :(

I'm very very tempted by Alien after playing it at the weekend, but I think the sensible part of me will keep that at bay (probably) and judging by other's experiences in any case the wait on one of those is somewhat longer (and maybe never!)

Tried GB, SW and TWD again on the pier yesterday and game setup was even worse than before - next time I go I'm taking a spirit level with me! TWD definitely the most fun of the three but no longer available new so would need to find something s/h

Need to find a LoTR to have a go on.

Decisions, decisions...

I'll hopefully make it to SWL sometime! @Chief is more convenient when I have meetings in London or we go to football there.

I've spent some more time there trying the other games. Cactus canyon was great fun and I really enjoyed Dialled In as well. Not keen on GB even when setup right and Star Wars didn't get me either.

After spending more time playing, I realised I really enjoy playing modes and progressing through the game, trying to get to the wizard modes. That's what I do on Spiderman and found myself doing the same on other machines. The ones with interesting modes are what I enjoyed, more so than trying to get a big score which I guess is because I've never really played in competition.

I clearly need to practice more of the basics and really need a scoring strategy to try and get past my son's SM high score! I am wondering if having the machine on a carpeted floor is not helping me save balls heading for outlanes and SDTM as it seemed like that was easier on the other machines I've played.

Thankfully I didn't lose my mind and order an Alien and instead I've taken the plunge and have got a GoTG LE on the way which with luck should arrive next month :)

really need a scoring strategy to try and get past my son's SM high score!

Go for Doc Ock's fusion malfunction multiball first as it's easy to get too as well as the white lights so you bring a mode into the multiball. Don't bother playing fusion malfunction as the game wants you too though, instead use it to light locks for black suit multiball by hitting the death lock target and also trying to complete whatever mode you brought in.

If you got your locks lit then go for starting another mode before starting black suit. Again, use black suit to complete the mode but also go for the jackpots in the multiball. The next closest multiball will be Bank Bust at Doc Ock so try and get to that, again bringing a mode in if you can.

While this going on you should pick up green goblin hits without having to aim for him too much, always take a shot at the Venom side ramp when you get a chance to bring him along and try and target sandman when you're in multiball or got a ball save on.

You'll get to Battle Royale before you know it :thumbs:

I don't often go for the white modes, so maybe that's where I am missing out as I guess 2x/3x makes quite a difference. Other than that, I play it pretty much as you've said, completing the villians once for the extra ball, then trying for a second to battle royale whilst moving between Ock and Black Suit multiballs.

My son hit Battle Royale, got a huge jackpot and ended up with 195M

I've been to Battle Royale seven times, but just can't seem to get the huge score boost, getting stuck at around 150M four times. Looking at the audits, it seems that four times the BR jackpot wasn't collected which I guess is probably where that extra score comes from :(

Firstly, SM is a masterpiece.

Battle Royale can be quite valuable, but not massive. The BR jackpot is collected on the right ramp, so stick your 2x/3x there if you complete a mode and are nearing BR. Other than that you want to be 2x/3x-ing the dock ock shot and the spinner. The SJ shot during Bank Bust at 3x can be absolutely massive (I've had it over 50M).

My advice to big scores on SM. Break it down into the different components that qualify Super Hero. Play a game purely concentrating on the different Villains, Sandman and Ock are easy, so spend the entire game focussing on Venom and then Goblin. I've always found Venom the most difficult. Then play some games trying to play through all the modes (you don't need to complete them all to qualify Super Hero, so timing out some modes may be beneficial). Once you have completed the separate components, combining them becomes much easier, chaining the multiballs as Chris says.

Its an incredible game, dedicate a few hours on it and you will crack that 200M ;)

The key to Spiderman for me is to progress through the game whilst keeping multiballs going.
It is the method Bowen used in his tutorial video. I tried it a couple of times and then completed Super Hero using it.
My previous high was around 550 million then I got this by using multiballs to progress.

932ED234-D97D-4DE8-9A3A-886474288B1A.jpeg

A huge thanks to Phil for getting hold of GoTG LE #256 for me so quickly :)

Unfortunately, being NIB meant that it was too big to fit through the door to the cinema, so had to unpack it in the hallway and carry it through (when SM came, I had builders around to help move it!). Managed to get it setup and levelled, updated code to 1.01 and put a few games on it.

Plays very different to SM but is a lot of fun. Flippers seem a lot faster/stronger so taking a while to adjust to shots and live catches are awful (one of the issues with playing just one machine the whole time up to now I guess)

Didn't get much time on it yet, but just scraped over 150M to make it onto the top of the leaderboard (literally my last game before I had to head out to a meeting!).

I've not read up on the rules yet as I reckon it'll be fun working some out for myself, but that may get shelved if my son takes my top score!

Might have to change the glass, as it looks very shiny next to SM with the Roman glass but not really planning any other mods, unless there's anything I really ought to be doing to it for protections etc?

Attachments

• IMG_1895.jpg
    IMG_1895.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 47
Cheers, I love the film and so do my kids and it fits with the Marvel them of my artwork. I didn't expect to find an LE but it wasn't that much more than the premium (and I like spinners and the full RGB lighting), plus a shaker seems to integrate really well with it. When Phil said he could get me one, I figured for a 'first' new machine, I may as well go all in :)

I did see that thread but seems to be very much a matter of opinion if it is worthwhile adding Cliffys/Mylar. Also no idea on Wax/Novus or whatever else. I may just play it and see!

I bought he glass off Dave on here - is there a good source for it other than waiting for someone selling a sheet?

No need for Novus on NIB pin!

Waxing is to taste. I like doing it, find it rather therapeutic, but it will dramatically speed up the game. If you've got kids playing it then it might not be advisable, unless they have fast reactions. It's good from a long term maintenance point of view though.

I also like fitting Cliffys, mainly because it's a rather simple equation: metal ball vs wooden edges = only one winner. For limited home use it probably isn't essential, but without them it will eventually need refurbishment. I'd much rather replace a sacrificial Cliffy protector than try and repair a battered ramp drop.

Just my 2p. I can see why people might not like the look of them, and they will in some cases result in ball hangups or potentially make shots very slightly harder.

Well, my 'kids' are 19 and 21 so reactions are OK. Got a good few games in this week - they absolutely loved it (bit Marvel fans like me) and poor old Spidey only got a couple of games.

I managed a 260mil game which I was quite pleased with, but also annoyed I was two shots off cherry bomb. Probably wouldn't have got it as I seem to be awful at hitting the scoop - one game I think I missed it eight shots in a row so definitely need more practice!

I went to the same arcade a couple of weeks back on Bournemouth Pier and The Ghostbusters still wasn't set up correctly, the ball was drifting to the right. The Walking Dead played really lovely though despite a dodgy coin mech as you pointed out, I don't even watch the show and im considering purchasing one.

I spent a few hours there and nobody else played any of the machines, very sad.

Back
Top Bottom