What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Testing a sound board in the wrong machine

DrPinball

Registered
I'm fixing a sound board for @Mooseman but I don't have access to the original machine (Dr Who). I do have a White Water, which uses the same type of board - as I can't be bothered moving over the ROMs, can anyone comment on what happens if I try to put DW board in WW. Will I get nothing, or should I hear sounds albeit for the wrong machine?

Not tried it with WPC but i would have thought you would get the wrong sounds.

Be interesting to know whether seeing checksum error whether it will turn it all off or not

You'll get a checksum error and >1 bong but its fine. Just mismatched sounds.

Tried this with a FT board with TZ CPU.

Tim

Tried this a few weeks back. Sound’s gone on my FT, pressed chips, seated cables, 9v battery on speakers, got continuity, so I put BR sound board in thinking if I got some sound, any sound, it’d point to the board. Didn’t get any sound & the DMD went all scrambly.
OK. What if I put The FT sound board into another FT? Know a bloke a couple of miles away with one, he’s actually got 7 pins, all with faults, that haven’t been played/fixed, for as long as I’ve known him. Fortunately I knew his FT only needs a belt for the reel.
Went over, stuck it in & his display went all scrambly. No sound tho’. Took it out quick as I didn’t want his machine fooked.
Need to get my backside in gear & get the board inspected.

In answer to my own query, put DW sound board in my WW. Got the 'bong', got 'yang, yang's but didn't look at the screen. Started a game and got DW music playing. Result.

Back
Top Bottom