What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Terminator 2 Restoration by Ant Hobbs - Incredible!

Dinsdale

Site Supporter
I wanted to dedicate a thread to the absolutely jaw droppingly amazing restore of my T2 that @Ant-H did for me recently.

Having seen Ant do his own restore (@Gonzo uploaded a video HERE), I thought to myself "I'd love him to do mine but keep it mostly original". After a back and forth, I floated the idea and Ant quoted me a very fair price. We were both aware that there may be more to do once Ant looks under the hood and I was open to paying more for further improvements.

The result, both aesthetically and technically, is everything I imagined and more. Here's a video of the finished product.

I'm not sure where to start with the detailed review - but I will say I am probably forgetting so much. I know I was quoted by someone else roughly £1000 just to fit decals to the cabinet, but if I was going to spend that kind of cash, I wanted the whole shebang... and Ant was my number one choice. I explained that I wanted this machine to be as original as possible, but with select upgrades. The original skull, for example, is pathetic. I tried to fit a better one after following one of Ant's thread to moderate success - but the look and feel needed to be original and Ant nailed this.

Communication
Before we get into the machine itself, the communication Ant provided was spot on. After initial DM's on Pinball Info, we moved over to WhatsApp. This was much easier and convenient. Answers to quick queries or decisions needing made could be facilitated quickly. This really helped the overall process and it helped build confidence that I was getting a 5* service. Ant kept me informed of the tiniest details along the way. This was both reassuring and good for me learning more about pinball and all its intricacies.

As Ant would come across issues that weren't immediately obvious, I'd be making notes of the parts for order and would get them sent to him. This worked really, really well and kept a good diary.

Cabinet Work
My cabinet was a bit grotty. Parts of it had been glued in places, and what I really liked about Ant's cabinets when he did his T2 and TAF restores was the all black look.

To get there, Ant sanded everything down, primed the cabinet (a step some people don't do that matters later) and painted it in a lovely matte black. The result is a machine from 1991 looking like it came off the assembly line just last week. This was a big factor for me and gives a really premium look.

The backbox was sanded and painted and sealed - all my metal work was powder coated. Electronics aside, this was going to look incredible based on this work alone. Wiring was tidied and labelled (although this looked neater from Ant than it is now in the pics, as I had to removed the backbox to get it upstairs. There is some felt on the front of the cabinet for the glass to effortlessly slide across, as well as some felt underneath the backbox

The inside of the cabinet was fitted with artblades matching the original décor and feel of the outside cabinet decals, making it look original with a bit of an accurate upgrade. Ant did this perfectly.

Cabinet.jpg

Decals
Brand new cabinet decals were ordered and fitted from Buthamburg. These are screen printed and fully licensed, and are by far the most superior versions of decals for T2 available. I highly recommend anyone go here if they want new decals. Having primed and prepared the cabinet, adding these made everything look pristine. The decals are lined up perfectly and carefully. I couldn't have even begun to think where to start doing this without cocking everything up.

5.jpg

Apron
The apron was cleaned up, powder coated, and fitted with new, high quality decals. The result? Judge for yourself.

Apron5.jpg

Screen printing and stickers
Where else can you get screen printing done with the original paint and techniques used in the 90's? @Gonzo did another video with Ant showing this stuff HERE and I recommend anyone check it out. This may seem unnecessary to some, but to me it's one of the many "icing on the cake" touches. It just screams legitimacy.

Shout out to the new Williams stickers/warranty labels that Ant put on, complete with my serial number and everything. Ant even had a spare laminated matrix chart that he put inside the cabinet, something Williams did themselves back in the day.

Screenprinting.jpg

Armour
An optional extra that I decided to go for was to chrome all armour. Side rails, lock bar, legs, wireforms, the gun. Ant facilitated all of this on my behalf with a top chromer. Couldn't be happier. For a game like T2, this is a great option that I'd recommend as it really suits the theme and makes the machine pop when you walk into a room. The added chrome starter button ring is a lovely touch and brings the front of the cabinet to life.

12.jpg

Coin Door
My original coin door had seen better days. Ant's eagle eye spotted an original Williams coin-door at Pinfest for a decent price. Not happy with just whacking it on there, he restored it and rewelded some parts to make it look brand spanking new.

Coindoor.jpg

Playfield
Ant stripped down the topside of my playfield, cleaned, waxed, and cleaned up (and in one case, fabricated) ball guides and rails. Why did he do this? Why not? It added another level of premium care and just told me I was going to get a great machine back. The rubbers were replaced with Titans, and the LEDs were replaced with Comets. Check the video for this.

Extras
Ant added a new game ROM for me, redid the skull eyes that I had previously struggled with, and a plethora of too many other things to mention. He also installed a PinSound shaker motor for me, trimmed unnecessary speaker wires. There's probably stuff he forgot to tell me about that I'm benefitting from - he is that good.

Hidden Stuff
As aesthetically pleasing as this T2 is to look at, the stuff that made me just as happy was the care and attention the electronics got. For example, I remember watching a video on YouTube with Todd Tuckey where he talked about installing BRs with extended legs for heat dissipation. Ant did this for me. I didn't ask, he did this on his own back - that's the real good stuff you pay for. He replaced some tired looking caps and other components, cleaned up a monstrosity of a GI connector, and reflowed and cleaned all my lamp boards, resoldered some bad soldering that had been attempted by others previously - and he tidied up and "hard wired" a couple of mods I had to tidy them all up and get rid of crocodile clips etc. I got some new ground wire too (some was even originally missing) so this is safer all round.

It's this future proofing that makes me confident I'll never have to worry about any of these nasty issues happening again and gives a much tidier and cleaner experience.

I can't stress enough how much added value this provided.

Conclusion
Words can't describe how happy I am with Ant's work. I really felt from start to finish in my gut that I was getting a premium service and this was just confirmed every step of the way. Ant is a stickler for detail and doing things right, and that is arguably his biggest talent. If he's not happy with it, he won't let it fly. He treats your game like it's his game - and you can't put a price on that level of care.

If you want a premium service, you need to consider Ant Hobbs. Top work, top effort, top guy.

Thanks again Ant! I can't wait for you to restore my WWF Royal Rumble next ;-)

machine.jpg

Beautiful !
If Robocop playfields & ramp weren't unobtanium I'd be joining the waiting list on @Ant-H services

Lovely mate . . . I saw this multiple times as Ant was doing his stuff.

Lovely. The beautifully restored by @ChrisFormela playfield was amazing when you first got this pin but @Ant-H has really taken it to the next level. I think he has upgraded the leg brackets to the later style too which will stop the wobble?

I can't wait to invite myself over to come and play it (and WWFRR) - see you soon :)

Lovely. The beautifully restored by @ChrisFormela playfield was amazing when you first got this pin but @Ant-H has really taken it to the next level. I think he has upgraded the leg brackets to the later style too which will stop the wobble?

I can't wait to invite myself over to come and play it (and WWFRR) - see you soon :)
Welcome any time but still awaiting parts for WWFRR! Hopefully be sorted before the new year.

At least you can play and not be chasing weird issues!

You're right about the work on the playfield Chris did.

@Dinsdale I’ve not been on the forum much the past week of so, and have just read your post mate 😮.

I know you said to me that you were going to do a post but I think that was a bit of an understatement 😂

Absolutely amazing write up and video mate and yeah the restored playfield by @ChrisFormela looked great!

I think you need to mention though that when it was delivered, you had to remove the playfield and back box completely to get upstairs into your games room 😮

When you told me you were doing that I couldn’t believe it 😂 but hats off to you for successfully doing it without any damage👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Back
Top Bottom