What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Taxi hardtop install

Joyride

Registered
After moving to a smaller home a couple of months into the pandemic I had to put my Taxi into the garage until I was able to make room in the smaller living room at our new place. Fast forward 2 years and I was finally able to bring it back inside. That was a moment - the garage roof had started leaking a while back and I was anxious about unwrapping my pin because I didn’t want to be faced with a rusted and/or damp game.

Fortunately the time I’d taken to wrap it and stand it on a pallet paid off. It wasn’t the rusting horror I’d had nightmares about, and after an inspection it turned on with no issues.

There were a few corroded parts: lockdown assembly guide, shooter mounting plate, playfield arm, coin door and playfield bolts, backbox latch to name a few, but nothing too serious.

At this stage I started looking at a new playfield. My Taxi is a keeper because of the epic journey I’d taken with my son to go and get it a decade ago. I found it on eBay.de, and did a road trip to Berlin to pick it up. With that journey in mind I thought it was only fitting that I show the machine some love and get it properly sorted out.

The old playfield wasn’t too bad:

2202A1D6-5118-4A8E-8ED8-A6B059B3718F.jpeg

It had the usual wear around the pops and inserts:

5B3A4D34-6E1D-4CAE-B815-660A4883E97D.jpeg

Not bad, and still very playable. I just felt that after it (and I!) survived covid I wanted to get back into it in a big way.

I was about to pull the trigger on a new playfield and posted here to see if someone could do the swap for me as I didn’t feel confident enough to take on a full pf swap.

This project then took an unexpected turn… Mfresh replied with the suggestion that if I didn’t want to do a playfield swap I might want to look at hardtops. I hadn’t heard of them at that time as I’d drifted away from pinball during the pandemic. A quick read of Outside Edge’s website had me all fired up, so I quickly placed an order and started the process of stripping the playfield. Hadn’t done this before - the biggest job I’d taken on prior to now was replacing the flippers and ramps when I first got it home from Germany.

The hardtop soon arrived:

97E17F9D-7E4D-4321-BAE4-1E9D514FDCC4.jpeg

As I was merrily stripping the playfield I realised there was no way that I was going to install the hardtop and then put some of the aged parts back on. Some of them needed fixing rather than replacing. Thanks to @Spandangler for putting me in touch with another PinballInfo member, @replicas, who I met with at Pinfest last month and is kindly doing new steel flaps on a couple of these and my ramps:

78ABB91B-932B-4674-8860-C506EE56CA4C.jpeg

Since then I’ve been ordering all sorts of new parts for it. The old Deutsche Mark coin door has to go:

B2AFDE39-3E1D-4A07-A309-BA173504ACD3.jpeg

I bought a new blank coin door to replace it.

Have also gone for a full LED kit, new rubbers, new plastics set, LED rings + clear bodies + new skirts for the pops, new drop targets, new Carry Passengers target, and red lit flipper buttons.

I also went for a new Spinout bowl, and after reading all 61 pages of the Taxi members club on Pinside have decided to try a magnetic reed switch to see if I can get the ball flying around the bowl a few more times.

Over the last month I’ve been ultrasonic cleaning and tumbling lots of parts, and today I finally finished labelling and unplugging everything from the backbox:

3072F733-2412-435C-90FA-643AA91FFCA7.jpeg

4C06921B-A0C9-4C25-81BE-C0D900674243.jpeg

So I’m ready to take the playfield down to my dad’s place - he’s got the sanding gear that I don’t have, so we’ll soon get the pf sanded down and the hardtop installed. And then the fun will really start with the mammoth job of reassembling everything.

This week I’m going to find a local metal finisher to see what they can do with the lockdown guide assembly and playfield strut.

Of course, I’m now looking at the cabinet and thinking that needs love too! Filling, respraying, new rails, and doing decals is going to put quite a bit of time and cost onto this project, but how can I not do it when I’ve already come this far? :)

Last edited:
New Spinout ramp has arrived in the country, HM Revenue & Customs doing what they do best...

1662987791285.png

The GBP/USD exchange rate really sucks!

Also received an NVRAM battery replacement this morning. First thing I checked when I unwrapped the pin after being in the garage for so long were the batteries. I've already got an off-board battery holder, but love the idea of no more batteries, so for £15 this was a no-brainer.

Last edited:
Time for an update.

A couple of weeks ago I spent a really productive afternoon in my dad’s workshop sanding down the playfield. I was nervous about doing this despite having watched every hardtop install video that you can find on YouTube at least twice by now. I decided that I’d go for the sanding inserts only approach rather than sanding and clear coating the whole playfield. The installation instructions provided by Outside Edge assure that this approach is ok, so that helped with the decision.

We got the playfield clamped up on saw horses…

3FC72322-590B-442F-BC32-1763234AA639.jpeg

Then sealed all holes with masking tape and wrapped the underside mechanisms in polythene that was sealed at the edges so that sawdust wouldn’t get in there…

762C1303-8914-454C-A439-257BF1D132CD.jpeg

Two of us got stuck into the sanding, which wasn’t as scary as I’d imagined it would be…

0A179B19-0192-4B23-8FD1-326E9EBB55EF.jpeg

Got through it all in about an hour and was left with the required artwork-free inserts. As expected, they were looking dull despite having worked our way up from coarse 240 grit sandpaper all the way up to 1400 grit. I had some polishing supplies at home ready and waiting though, so was feeling confident that I could get them looking good again.

C77607A6-178F-4664-AE29-85DCCBBBF2F8.jpeg

In the meantime I had a great conversation with the metal finishing guy I’d found locally - he was talking me through some of the projects he’s been working on lately, including lots of chroming of classic car bumpers, etc. That prompted me to ask about how his customers get their coloured indicator lenses looking like new, and it was at this point that I realised that I was about to make a big mistake with polishing my playfield inserts!

I’d planned on using a variable speed Dremel for the polishing, but learned that this would’ve ruined the inserts because of its minimum speed of 8000rpm. His advice on getting plastic back to its shiny best was to do it at 1450rpm. He also pointed me to The Polishing Shop’s website where I found a two stage plastic polishing kit with Menzerna compounds and corresponding mops for my drill…

That was delivered a couple of days later and I spent a good two hours working on the inserts with the new kit. The results were really pleasing…

29A66A5E-B0BE-4837-B386-7ECDBC4DF986.jpeg

So I’m ready to install the hardtop now. My dad is currently building a home made playfield rotisserie for me as per the instructions here…

I won’t be painting it blue like that though. :)

I’ve got a box of parts over at the metal finishers that will be ready in about 10 days. That will give me plenty of time to get over a bout of covid that I’ve been in bed with since the beginning of this week. Ironic really, as I mentioned at the start of this thread that I’d managed to swerve it so far. I cannot wait to get back to the metal finisher to see what he’s done. The pop bumper rings that he chromed for me look great now, so will be fun to see everything else looking shiny and new again.

37AF5B72-17DB-47B9-BCE0-C440B4D48478.jpeg

Chrome pop bumper rings? Will be interesting to see how they hold up over time.

Love the polish on the inserts!

I’m just doing mine and your old playfield looks mint compared to mine!
Im just repairing/renovating my playfield for now, nice to see shiny inserts. Think I need a bit more elbow grease on mine now😂

There was worry on my mind as I started sanding the inserts. You spend so much time trying to protect your playfield and keep it looking good, so to suddenly start going at it with a coarse sander made me feel a little uneasy at first. Ridiculously, I just kept on saying to myself that if I do mess it up spectacularly then there’s always Classic Playfield Reproductions to fall back on! :)

I’m all in on this project, and it’s going to have to be pristine at the end for me to be happy with it. That means the cabinet is going to have to get done too, but that’s not something I’ll do myself.

Have also got plans for a modified topper. The original plastic ones always end up yellowing over time, so I wanted something different. I found a Taxi parts supply company in the States does New York style aluminium roof lights…

427BFF4C-E1B5-4996-8F44-8C7E2C88802F.jpeg

I’m thinking of wiring up the side lights into features like jackpot, joyride, etc. That’ll be way down the line from where I am now, but if anyone has any tips or links about creating this type of mod I’d love to hear about it. Only just started reading about this and found the Pinduino project…

But if anyone has other suggestions I’m all ears!

btw, if anyone needs a new Taxi topper that’s closer to the original Williams part, Taxi Depot does a whole range of them, they look great, and they are way cheaper than the ridiculous $200+ that you’ll pay at Marcos, etc!

So after a bit more reading I’ve established that the Pinduino route for wiring up lights in a custom topper that respond to game features, while possible, just won’t be necessary. I’ve been talking to the good people over at Comet Pinball about their Matrix system. This should make it really simple!

Getting a little ahead of myself here because I’m a long way off this stage of the project, but really pleased to have found such a simple solution to what I originally thought was going to be a complex challenge.

Back
Top Bottom