What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress TAFG Cabinet

Dave Bishop

Site Supporter
So I have decided to show the progress of the new TAFG Cabinet by Woodtech.

It is a new cabinet built by Manny with TAFG decals applied. Not many pictures of the process but I think the finished product says a lot!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Back box before screening goes on
image.jpg

I will be posting more pictures of the main Cabinet and the cabinet swap going on

Manny had / has many eBay accounts. I guess he wants to have a pinball only account to show the high end stuff

The w.w thing though baffles me. Not sure if it's supposed to be a w.w.w type thing or something else

You mean the mark just below the first crease in the finger?

Must have just been something that needed a wipe over as it's gone in the next picture.

W.W is Woodtech Workshop.

Come on fellas get with it! :cool:

Pete that would make sense...

I Knew of the Wow with wood but that would be W.W.W
Although Dave is good mates with Manny so I guess he should know, Its not really important i guess, just bugged me.

No denying that Manny has the skills though, just wish I was in his demographic (ie Minted)

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg
You can see how shiney it is by the last picture. Finish is like glass on the outside.
The door is 23ct gold plated. Looks great.

I will show more pics as I get stuck into this Cabinet Swap

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 9
Just finished taking the plaque off the TAFG Cab. Was a lot easier than I first thought. I emailed HEP and Chris said to use pliers, carefully!

I didn't want to damage the plaque with plied marks so I decided something different.
image.jpg
Tamper proof screws
image.jpg
Masked up the plaque and surrounding area. I then took a DREMEL with a thin cutting disk and cut a line across the screws into the two raised areas of the head. Took 20seconds per screw head and the plaque came off.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 15
What a master worker. Not only is he conserving, but regenerating. I'll be so happy when I get this cab, but only to keep it as real as poss. Hats off to you Dave.

Im going to start on the Backbox on Wednesday, taking out the boards and cleaning them up before I put them in, and a few bits polished/gold plated.

Thurs hopefully the cabinet swap over.

OK so on Wednesday I started on the back box swap over with a friend of mine.
First took loads of close up pictures of the wiring, where the clips went etc.
image.jpg
Next removed the lighting board and disconnected the connectors and pushed them through into the cabinet, barring the 3 flasher loom for cloud and the ribbon wires.
image.jpg
image.jpg
I set about swapping the circuit boards over to the polished back plate Manny had kindly given me.
image.jpg
Whilst I was doing that Mark was taking off the brackets that hold the light board and the brackets that go in the corners of the backbox.

Last edited:
The TAFG had four brackets, two brackets that fit in the top that are L shaped with two holes in each. These are to strengthen the corners. The top two bolts you see in the side of the backbox is for securing the bolts. There are two more in the top of the backbox, but these bolts made the cloud warp so I did not want these put in. Makes the top look better and being in home from now the extra strength is not needed. The brackets are secured from the side, not from the top.
image.jpg
The bottoms brackets were the same, although these had 2 in the side of the backbox and 3 holes in the bottom. Similar to holes for the side hinges. Once again don't need the three bottom holes so not put in.
image.jpg
After gives for light board put in and loom for flashers We put in the new speaker panel channel and back plate with circuit boards on. Boards given a brush clean with some board cleaner and clips washed with degreaser and fairy liquid. before put on plate. The holes were not already drilled into the back box for the flasher boards/fixings, clips or the channel but was no problem as was common sense and positioned parts and piloted small holes to screw into.
image.jpg

Bloody hell Dave, calm down , you'll be doing a full playfield swap next.:)

Seriously, it's good to see you getting stuck in.

image.jpg The Cabinet tear down.

Firstly we removed the playfield and loom. Disconnected and unbolted the transformer, only a few large pugs.
Took out the speaker, and loom on the left of the cabinet.

image.jpg
image.jpg
The wiring loom was taken out and I scrubbed the loom with Auto Glm degreaser and fairy liquid. Took off the grey tube, the wires were like new in there! And washed the tube. The clips are yellowed from time, I washed them in same solution and will buy new ones the near future and replace them. But for now they will do.
That was all yesterday as well. Today I made some progress with polishing the cabinet hardware. Picked up some AutoSol and wire wool.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 11
image.jpg I'm not going for a super shiney mirror finish, just like new approach, although gold plating this lot was a thought but time factor put me off.

Should have taken a before and after picture, the above is after.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
This evening Manny from Woodtech popped in and we got some more stuff done! image.jpg
image.jpg
New 2 hole leg plates fitted, knocker fitted the rest of the clips were screwed in new plastic glass channels put on and the new brass plated side rails.

Noticed whilst transferring stuff over that several things were different from TAF to TAFG manufacture. As TAFG was produced in 1994 So a lot of the fittings are the same as games of that era. TAFG had 3 hole leg brackets where as original TAF had small 2, hole brackets. TAFG has plumb bob original doesn't, transformer position different.

Also got the feeling that the TAFG was put together to get it out the door, with a workers using what they had to hand like wrong size screws in places like leg brackets.

Side rails not stuck on yet but put them on for this picture.
image.jpg
Manny looking over his work.
image.jpg
Tomorrow cabinet finishing bits put on and then back box update.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 11
Today Manny from WoodTech popped in and we got on with the cabinet swap.
The metal Cabinet protectors used on Stern Pinball machines were screwed to the 4 corners. I ordered new Brass legs from Pinball Decals in the US. These were put on, we also put some felt protectors I between the legs and metal plates for extra protection.

image.jpg
Next put on the new Brass Door on from Pinball Decals. Mannys Gold door was great, but it didn't quite match the gold bits I ready had from PinballDecals so door was ordered. The original TAFG plaque was then put back on. I could have had it polished but decided against it, the plaque is a little scratched up but adds to the age of the game. The Playfield was put back in.
image.jpg

The playfield wires were fed through the cabinet top and hung over the back. The Backbox was then placed on top of the cabinet and was tilted forward and the cables pushed through the holes in the bottom of the backbox.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 7
image.jpg Thanks Gaz

I bought new stickers for the cabinet from TC in USA. They are copies of the original MIDWAY serial numbers/warnings/fuse list etc. even have Lenc Smith cabinet stickers!
image.jpg
Hinges and new siderails again from PinballDecals

image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 10
Wow,

Saw this in the flesh yesterday and it looked awesome, the pictures don't convey just how nice it looks,
The attention to every detail is to such a high level.
Thanks Dave for your hospitality , and nice to meet Manny who truly has been a wizard on that cabinet

Back
Top Bottom