What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete TAF

Nice.

Wish I had the vision to see these things completed. It's the same with houses, I can't see the wood for the trees when it comes to major renovation work.

I'd be terrified about not knowing how everything went back together again. I've procrastined for a couple of weeks at least about even just taking the ramps off my Tron LE. :(

Great job so far!

Nice.

Wish I had the vision to see these things completed. It's the same with houses, I can't see the wood for the trees when it comes to major renovation work.

I'd be terrified about not knowing how everything went back together again. I've procrastined for a couple of weeks at least about even just taking the ramps off my Tron LE. :(

Great job so far!

Thanks mate. Trust me when I say. I have absolutely no clue how it goes back together. It’ll come good though I’m sure. And it can’t make me pregnant so what’s the worst that could happen

Update

Christ it’s been a few months. I’ve been ticking along slowly. Accruing bits and bobs.

So since last time.

All metal work cleaned up and tumbled.

Wedlments re welded

Book case stripped and cleaned with new crank armature, new bookcase, new opto boards and finished off with Judge Dreads book case decal.

View attachment 68580

Thing mechanism stripped and cleaned

All plastics cleaned

New main ramp purchased, sent to @replicas for a some new flappage and back to me for repopulation.

Lock bar receiver and other cab parts cleaned and rebuilt

Restored playfield arrived from Chris Platt.

So that’s about where I am. Still got a few parts to tumble but my mojo is back. I’m excited for the project again and back on it.

Does anyone know if there is a file to reproduce this decal. I’ve found one on Pinball rebel but the font is black. Not a biggie but if there is one with red that’d be better.

View attachment 68579
I’m also still on the lookout for a better translite and the plastics which are transparent (the insects etc..) So if you can help please drop me a line

I’ll update with pics in a bit

Phil sells them much easier than trying to cut the holes out

Slowly plodding along here. Every single part that comes off this machine is either rusted away or covered in thick grease. Every single mech, kicker, popper thing has had to be removed, degreased in the ultra sonic cleaner and reassembled. Every coil has to have the same treatment and new wrappers put on.

A191E8B7-4D0E-49EE-AD7B-4D730E8D64AE.jpeg

A46EE396-1C57-41D4-91CF-E56E73D2C3A3.jpeg

The coin door has had the holes filled and been repainted.

550F4509-6613-432A-B19F-EDE6713A0C37.jpeg

A5129154-B6DF-478B-A8DF-7D3E3142470F.jpeg

C93D877E-6687-4BBA-8637-0224917DB8FF.jpeg

However everything has now been cleaned so effectively I’m ready to do the playfield swap.

As you’ve seen in earlier posts, all the metal was very corroded!!

597D7F58-3F16-4102-B6B6-1E3F796B3176.jpeg

Reassembling all the cabinet parts. I’m making sure the cab is 100% ready so when the playfield is done it’s all done. I know I’d neglect the cabinet if it was flipping!!

EAC15EBA-45F0-41D0-9FA9-0E218B9A10DA.jpeg

1BCCEC37-AF01-4366-9E3B-29018ECB20EE.jpeg

A0806470-7E32-46D1-B52F-DD5038097278.jpeg

I copied @newdos design and made a rotisserie in preparation for the swap.
This by a man who ashamedly has never in his life used a chisel or an angle grinder :oops:

However it looks ok and should do the job.

B27D1597-115E-4BA5-9477-D65E8C6EC301.jpeg

Still after some clear plastics (the insects etc..) And a better translite

Oh and the “new” ramp I bought off EBay is probably going to be no good. It seems to be very warped. I’ll see how it installs but I won’t hold my breath!

Attachments

• 90B19262-C10E-46E4-8EF8-C9432AD48077.jpeg
    90B19262-C10E-46E4-8EF8-C9432AD48077.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 19
Making good progress it appears. Are you not tempted to completely respray the inside of the cabinet as you've got the playfield out already?

Making good progress it appears. Are you not tempted to completely respray the inside of the cabinet as you've got the playfield out already?

No mate. 1) It’s never gonna be a minter so I don’t see the point 2) Who sees it anyway and 3) I’m over this project. I’m not one of these souls who particularly gets a massive kick out of doing these.

The main plastic ramp. The end piece with the blue rubber stop is bent so far up the metal bracket which holds the blue rubber won’t sit flush against the end of the ramp thus blocking the drop through hole.The whole thing is warped. If I can get it to fit I’ll file out the drop through hole to allow the ball to fit. I’ll post some pics later.

No mate. 1) It’s never gonna be a minter so I don’t see the point 2) Who sees it anyway and 3) I’m over this project. I’m not one of these souls who particularly gets a massive kick out of doing these.

Dont lose the momentum. Its looking great, keep up the good work. The cabinet looks good and yes always do this before the playfield, otherwise it never happens!! Hope the ultrasonic cleaner is working nice to :)

Thanks Jim. Yes the ultra sonic cleaner is a god send. I’ve found the best thing for degreasing is swarfega Drive way cleaner.

The main plastic ramp. The end piece with the blue rubber stop is bent so far up the metal bracket which holds the blue rubber won’t sit flush against the end of the ramp thus blocking the drop through hole.The whole thing is warped. If I can get it to fit I’ll file out the drop through hole to allow the ball to fit. I’ll post some pics later.

Just checked mine as it's one of the last things to go on and guess what... Same problem!! :D Ball JUST fits in the hole, and with the pad on the end it's around 3mm south of where it needs to be... Damn cheap aussie ramps!!

I'll see if there's an easier solution later, unless you've already tried the filing option...

Really!! What a pita. I got mine from eBay however the seller was on here as RobZombie. I’m sure he wasn’t aware there would be a problem but I’ve got no comeback plus I bought it months ago.

The back right corner seems very warped to. To the extent the flasher cover won’t click in to place. So if I can’t install it properly I’ll just have to buy a new one from Pinball heaven.

If it does fit in to place ok, I’ll look at filing that hole bigger

Maybe if you could make a jig on a piece of wood with pins for the holes in the ramp where they should be and apply some heat to it? Maybe a daft idea!

Another thing which worked but isn’t an ideal solution, is to ditch the metal bracket and stick the blue rubber pad straight onto the ramp.

Maybe if you could make a jig on a piece of wood with pins for the holes in the ramp where they should be and apply some heat to it? Maybe a daft idea!

I thought about applying heat as a last resort but that is a last resort. Do or die!!

My novice brain at work but couldn't you heat the entire ramp up in the oven and then fit it while it's cooling to get it to bend to the shape it needs to be?

You probably could but it would be very much trial and error. I’d want to practice first on an old ramp. The thing is, as with flame polishing. One second it’s fine, the next it’s a melted heap. Very tricky to know when is too much.

You probably could but it would be very much trial and error. I’d want to practice first on an old ramp. The thing is, as with flame polishing. One second it’s fine, the next it’s a melted heap. Very tricky to know when is too much.
Throw a pizza in the oven at the same time, and some beers in fridge.

If it goes ok you got a pizza and beer to celebrate. If it goes belly up... you got a pizza and beer to cheer yourself up. [emoji3]

#thinklikeGrizZ

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Lesson to be learned, don't cut corners , don't buy a cheap copy .
Buy the real thing from a reputable seller like Pinball Heaven.
Every TAF I have done and it's a lot, I have bought all the new parts from PH with no problems at all and never had any issues with anything from PH.
Life's to short to mess around and try and make something that doesn't fit fit.

To be fair I had no idea whatsoever there was a cheap version. It was from a second hand seller who bought it but never installed it. I do now though.

Fair do's.
Hopefully you can sort it. I just hope the ramp acts as it should in game play.

Yeah, I could do without that expense.... again. But needs must i suppose. Did you see that pm Daz?

Wow! Great thread! Amazing the transformation you're doing!

Reminds me of my Corvette which i am still on with. Not touched it this year, but hopefully get back into it next year!

Keep up the good work!

Dunc

Back
Top Bottom